Find the interval of convergence

I had been so used to using the greater than or equal to sign that I didn't even think to double check the book's answer.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence of the power series ∑(x-2)n / 3n

Homework Equations

ρn = |an+1| / |an|

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that ρn = | (x-2) / 3 |. I set my ρn ≤ 1, since this is when the series would be convergent. Manipulating that expression, I got that the interval of convergence is -5 ≤ x ≤ 5. The answer in the back of the book is -1 ≤ x ≤ 5. I am confused where the -1 comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I realized after this post that I was getting interval of convergence mixed up with radius of convergence.

acdurbin953 said:

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence of the power series ∑(x-2)n / 3n

Homework Equations

ρn = |an+1| / |an|

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that ρn = | (x-2) / 3 |. I set my ρn ≤ 1, since this is when the series would be convergent. Manipulating that expression, I got that the interval of convergence is -5 ≤ x ≤ 5. The answer in the back of the book is -1 ≤ x ≤ 5. I am confused where the -1 comes from.

Be careful: the endpoints are generally not included, because they would correspond to a series of the form ##\sum 1^n## or ##\sum (-1)^n##. Are you sure the book did not say ##-1 < x < 5##?

Ray Vickson said:
Be careful: the endpoints are generally not included, because they would correspond to a series of the form ##\sum 1^n## or ##\sum (-1)^n##. Are you sure the book did not say ##-1 < x < 5##?

You're right, it does say -1 < x < 5. Thank you for that reminder!

Related to Find the interval of convergence

What is the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is the range of values for which a given mathematical series converges, or approaches a finite limit. It is usually expressed in terms of the variable or constants within the series.

How do you find the interval of convergence?

To find the interval of convergence, you can use the ratio test or the root test, which are both methods of determining the convergence or divergence of a series. The interval of convergence is typically found by setting the ratio or root equal to the variable or constant within the series and solving for the values that satisfy the inequality.

What is the importance of the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is important because it tells us for what values the series will converge and produce a meaningful result. It also helps us determine the behavior of the series at the endpoints of the interval, which can impact the overall convergence of the series.

Can the interval of convergence change for a given series?

Yes, the interval of convergence can change for a given series if the values of the variables or constants within the series are altered. This can also occur if a different method of finding the interval of convergence is used, such as the alternating series test.

What happens if a series does not have a defined interval of convergence?

If a series does not have a defined interval of convergence, it is said to have no interval or to diverge. This means that the series does not approach a finite limit and the values within the series do not have a consistent pattern or behavior.