Find the period of oscillation of a bead on a cycloid string

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the period of oscillation of a bead on a cycloid string and the equations and methods used to solve for it. The equation of motion for the bead is given as \ddot{u}+\frac{g}{4a}u=0, where u=cos(\frac{\theta}{2}). The period is then derived using the chain rule and is found to be T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{a}{g}}. However, there is a discrepancy in the final result and the conversation ends with the question of what went wrong in the calculation.
jimz

Homework Statement

Find the period of oscillation of a bead on a cycloid string. If it matters, the original equations of the cycloid were
[tex]x=a(\theta-sin\theta)[/tex] and [tex]y=a(1+cos\theta)[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is a small part of a larger problem... I found the equation of motion of a bead on a cycloid to be:

[tex]\ddot{u}+\frac{g}{4a}u=0[/tex]

where [tex]u=cos(\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]

using Lagrange which is correct.

I think I recall period being:
[tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/tex]

also [tex]\omega=\frac{\dot{v}}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure. All I can do is:

[tex]\ddot{u}=-\frac{1}{4}cos(\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]
and then I don't know what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I even know the answer but can't see how to get there, so obviously this one must be embarrassingly easy.

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{4a}{g}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the problem u cannot by simply cos(θ/2). Check this.

rl.bhat said:
In the problem u cannot by simply cos(θ/2). Check this.

I'm sure that the equation of motion is correct. It's long and uses some tricky trig identities, but more importantly it matches the answer as given.

In any event, it's the period of oscillation part I do not understand.

OK.
Now u = cos(θ/2)
By using the chain rule
du/dt = (du/dθ)(dθ/dt) = ω[-1/2*sin(θ/2)]
Similarly d^2u/dt^2 = ω^2[-1/4cosθ/2] = -1/4*ω^2*u
Substitute in the first equation and find T.

Thanks! I forgot that dθ/dt is ω and it's the chain rule twice. So close, but why am I off...

[tex]-\frac{1}{4}\omega^2u+\frac{g}{4a}u=0 [/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{4}\omega^2=\frac{g}{4a}[/tex]
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{a}[/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{a}{g}[/tex]

Still can't see what I did wrong... how does the 4a not become a?

Related to Find the period of oscillation of a bead on a cycloid string

What is a cycloid string?

A cycloid string is a type of string that is shaped like a cycloid curve, which is a specific type of mathematical curve.

What is the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is the amount of time it takes for the bead on the cycloid string to complete one full cycle of back and forth motion.

What factors affect the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the bead, the amplitude of the motion, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How is the period of oscillation calculated?

The period of oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Can the period of oscillation be altered?

Yes, the period of oscillation can be altered by changing the length of the string, the mass of the bead, or the amplitude of the motion. However, the acceleration due to gravity remains constant and will always affect the period of oscillation.

Back