Find the values of Δz and dz

• MHB
  • Thread starter carl123
  • Start date
In summary: You're welcome, glad I could help! Just remember to always double check your calculations and formulas to make sure they are correct. Keep up the good work!
carl123
If z = x2 − xy + 9y2 and (x, y) changes from (2, −1) to (1.96, −1.05), compare the values of Δz and dz. (Round your answers to four decimal places.)

This is what I have so far:

dx = Δx = -0.04
dy = Δy = -0.05

Zy = 2x-y
Zx = 18y-x

dz = Zx (2,-1)dx + Zy (2,-1)dy

dz = -0.03 - 0.86 = -0.89

It says my answer for dz is wrong, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Carl123,

When you have an answer that disagrees with the answer given in your text, please let us know first the answer in the textbook.

carl123 said:
This is what I have so far:
Zy = 2x-y
Zx = 18y-x

I believe you accidentally switched the formulas for $Z_y$ and $Z_x$; it should be $Z_x = 2x - y$ and $Z_y = 18y - x$.

dz = Zx (2,-1)dx + Zy (2,-1)dy

dz = -0.03 - 0.86 = -0.89

Well, $Z_x(2,-1) = 2(2) - (-1) = 4 + 1 = 5$ and $Z_y(2,-1) = 18(-1) - 2 = -18 - 2 = -20$, so

$$dz = Z_x(2,-1)(-0.04) + Z_y(2,-1)(-0.05) = (5)(-0.04) + (-20)(-0.05) = -0.2 + 1 = 0.8.$$

Thanks for your reply, the question is not from a text, it's from an online homework. I don't know the answer myself but it marked me wrong

Ok, thanks for the clarification. But I believe I've given you the proper correction in my last post.

Thanks. Do I follow the same process to get Δz?

You just need to compute $z(1.96,-1.05) - z(2,-1)$.

I initially got -0.8221 as my answer for Δz and it was wrong but then i realized I had it switched, I switched it over and the answer came out to be 0.8221 which is correct. Thanks a lot for your help.

FAQ: Find the values of Δz and dz

1. What does Δz represent?

Δz represents the change in the value of z, or the difference between two z values.

2. How do I calculate Δz?

To calculate Δz, you subtract the initial z value from the final z value.

3. What is the purpose of finding the value of Δz?

The value of Δz is often used to determine the slope of a line or the rate of change of a function.

4. What is the difference between Δz and dz?

Δz represents a specific change in z, while dz represents an infinitesimal change in z. In other words, Δz is a finite change and dz is an infinitely small change.

5. Can you give an example of finding the values of Δz and dz?

Sure, if z = 3x + 4, then the value of Δz when x = 2 and x = 3 would be 3, as we can see that the z value changes from 10 to 13. The value of dz in this case would be the derivative of z, which is 3.