Find the vector and find the magnitude of the vector

In summary, the homework statement is that vectors A and B have different magnitudes and vector C is the line connecting them. The magnitude of vector C is 14.523 units.
Voltrical

Homework Statement

Vectors A and B are shown in the figure. Vector C is given by C=B-A. The magnitude of vector A is 15.0 units, and the magnitude of Vector B is 5.00 units.

jq70o6.jpg

Part a) Find the vector C?

Part b) What is the magnitude of vector C?

Homework Equations

SOHCAHTOA

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew these lines on the diagram and then solve for the sides using the angles with the SOHCAHTOA Method. Then after I found the sides I use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for side C. I am assuming vector C is the line connected with vector A and B.

23vwzlc.jpg

aazl81.jpg

Answer:

Part b) the magnitude of vector C is 14.523.

Q: How to do part a? I don't understand what it means by finding vector C. Also is the above correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
finding vector C is what you did when you worked out the components. You cannot do part (b) without it. You can answer the question by drawing the vector on the diagram and/or by writing out the components with the i and j unit vectors.

Did you see that the two vectors use special triangles so you don't need a calculator?

Simon Bridge said:
finding vector C is what you did when you worked out the components. You cannot do part (b) without it. You can answer the question by drawing the vector on the diagram and/or by writing out the components with the i and j unit vectors.

Did you see that the two vectors use special triangles so you don't need a calculator?

I'm a bit confused.

The value I got, 14.523 units, is that the answer for part b, which is to find the magnitude?

So if I understand what you're saying, part a is to either draw the vector on the diagram or write out the components. Example answer is Vector C = 6.27i + 13.1j units.

Example answer is Vector C = 6.27i + 13.1j units.
That's a vector all right - well done! The magnitude of that vector would be 14.523 units... the answer to (b).

Hey quick question, how do I solve this using the physics method and not the pre-calculus method like I did above using SOHCAHTOA?

sohcahtoa is just a mnemonic to remember the basic trigonometric relations.

trigonometry (the art of measuring triangles) is a basic tool of physics ... there is more to it than sohcahtoa.

In this case I think I suggested the special triangles.
The two in the diagram were 45-45-90, and 30-60-90 ...
The first one is the triangle you get when O=A, and the second is when H=2O
The lengths of the sides have ratios O:A:H = 1:1:√2 and 1:√3:2

i.e. when O=A then H=O√2

So
- for vector A: Ay=-Ax=|A|/√2
- for vector B: By=-|B|/2, Bx=-|B|(√3/2)

One advantage of this approach is that you can write:
|A|/√2 = 15/√2

... and stop there - it's exact: no need to go into decimals.
Leave the heavy calculator work to the end avoids accumulating rounding-off errors.
It also makes your working easier to troubleshoot if you make a mistake.

Another approach is to draw out the vectors head-to-tail so C=B-A = B+(-A)
the magnitude of C is the length of the third side of the resulting triangle - which you can get from the cosine rule. The sine rule gives you the other angles - which gives you the direction of C.
However - it is easiest to do this one in terms of components.

FAQ: Find the vector and find the magnitude of the vector

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you find a vector?

To find a vector, you need to know its starting point and its endpoint. You can then subtract the coordinates of the starting point from the coordinates of the endpoint to get the vector's components. These components represent the change in position in the x and y directions.

3. What is the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector, which is determined by its components. It represents the size or strength of the vector and is always a positive number.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. Alternatively, you can use the distance formula, treating the vector's components as coordinates in a two-dimensional plane.

5. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a vector's magnitude is always a positive number. However, the vector itself can have a negative direction, which is represented by the direction of the arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the vector's actual direction.