Find time elapsed, given Force as a function f(velocity,displacment)

In summary, the problem involves finding the time taken for a particle to travel a distance of 1.55m under the influence of a resistance force, using calculus to convert between displacement, velocity, and acceleration. After solving for the velocity and setting up the integral, the integral cannot be solved with standard mathematical functions, so an approximation using W|A is suggested.
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

[/B]
A particle of mass ## 2 kg ## is initially traveling with a constant velocity of ## \frac{\pi }{2}\ ms^{-1}##. The particle is acted upon by a resistance force, ## F=-2v\tan \left(v\right)e^{2x}##, where ##v## is the velocity in ##ms^{-1}## and ##x## is the displacement of the particle in meters at any time ##t##. Let ##t## be the time elapsed, in seconds, after the force is applied. Find the time taken for the particle to travel a distance of ##1.55 m##, expressing your answer in minutes correct to ##2## decimal places.

Homework Equations

Using calculus to convert between displacement, velocity and acceleration

##v=\frac{dx}{dt}##

##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=v\cdot \frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{d\left(\frac{1}{2}v^2\right)}{dx}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##F=-2v\tan \left(v\right)e^{2x}##

##a=-v\tan \left(v\right)e^{2x}##

##v\cdot \frac{dv}{dx}=-v\tan \left(v\right)e^{2x}##

##\frac{v}{-v\tan \left(v\right)}dv=e^{2x}dx##

##\int _{ }^{ }-\cot \left(v\right)dv=\int _{ }^{ }e^{2x}dx##

##-\ln \left(\sin \left(v\right)\right)=\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}+c##

"initially traveling with a constant velocity of ##\frac{\pi }{2}\ ms^{-1}##"
Therefore at ##t=0##, ##v=\frac{\pi }{2}##. The question also states that ##x## is the displacement after the force has been applied, therefore at ##t=0##, ##x=0##.

##-\ln \left(\sin \left(v\right)\right)=\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}+c##

##-\ln \left(\sin \left(\frac{\pi }{2}\right)\right)=\frac{1}{2}e^{2\left(0\right)}+c##

##-\ln \left(1\right)=\frac{1}{2}+c##

Therefore, ##c=-\frac{1}{2}##

##-\ln \left(\sin \left(v\right)\right)=\frac{1}{2}e^{2x}-\frac{1}{2}##

##\sin \left(v\right)=e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}##

##v=\arcsin \left(e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}\right)##

##\frac{dx}{dt}=\arcsin \left(e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}\right)##

##\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{1}{\arcsin \left(e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}\right)}##

##t=\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\arcsin \left(e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}\right)}dx##

This is where I get stuck. There's no way to get the integral of ##\frac{1}{\arcsin \left(e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}\right)}## that I know of. I tried putting it into Wolfram Alpha but it said no result found in terms of standard mathematical functions. Have I done some of the intermediate steps wrong to arrive at this function which can't be integrated? Or is there another way of doing this? Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks good to me...I would suggest using W|A to approximate the definite integral:

##\displaystyle t=\int_0^{1.55}\frac{1}{\arcsin\left(e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}\right)}\,dx##

MarkFL said:
Your solution looks good to me...I would suggest using W|A to approximate the definite integral:

##\displaystyle t=\int_0^{1.55}\frac{1}{\arcsin\left(e^{-\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{2x}-1\right)}\right)}\,dx##

Sorry for late reply, I ended up realising to use a definite integral instead of an indefinite one on my own and forgot about this thread. I'm not sure what I was thinking trying to find the indefinite integral first - I guess I just needed a couple hour break before seeing how easy the final step actual was haha.

Anyway, thank you for your help regardless :)

Related to Find time elapsed, given Force as a function f(velocity,displacment)

What is the formula for finding time elapsed given force as a function of velocity and displacement?

The formula for finding time elapsed given force as a function of velocity and displacement is t = ∫(F(v, x)/v)dx, where F(v,x) is the force as a function of velocity and displacement.

How do you find the value of force in the formula for time elapsed?

The value of force can be found by plugging in the values of velocity and displacement into the function F(v,x). This function represents the relationship between force and the variables of velocity and displacement.

What is the unit of measurement for time elapsed in this formula?

The unit of measurement for time elapsed in this formula is seconds (s).

Can this formula be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of motion as long as the relationship between force, velocity, and displacement is known.

Is it possible to calculate time elapsed without knowing the force as a function of velocity and displacement?

No, the formula for finding time elapsed relies on the function F(v,x) to be known. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate time elapsed.