Find total resistance between A and B

In summary, the homework statement says that the student is trying to find the total resistance between two points, A and B. The student tries to use Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for the resistance, but finds that the resistance is not the same between A and B. The student then tries to find the resistance by imagining the wire as parallel and calculating the resistance. The student finds that the resistance is 20/13 R.
jesuslovesu

Homework Statement

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8052/omgfs0.th.png
Find total resistance between A and B

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first I tried using Kirchhoff's Laws to find the resistance, but that ended up being a total mess so here's what I tried, not sure if it is correct.

Can the (R+R) and 2R branch on the left, be combined to 1R? I was thinking that this would be correct because the same amount current should be on each side of A.
If that is correct, then I can simply do R + 2R (right side resistance in parallel) = 3R. (I think)

Is this correct, or do I need to use Kirchoff's laws to solve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Very good. Yes, in this case you are able to use parallel & series combination simplifications to get the total resistance. There can be more complex situations, however where you would need to use the KCL equations and solve for the intermediate voltages and currents in order to figure out the total resistance.

But in this case, the simpler way is the best way.

I do not believe this method is quite correct. Hmmm... difficult to illustrate it without a diagram...

You see, the problem is that current flows through the wire in the middle. If you connect a potential difference across A and B, the current on both sides of A(or B) will not be the same hence the resistance will not be the same measured from A to B.

A right way I think would be is to have a sort of parallel combination of 4 possible paths current can get through from A to B. i.e. Have 4 wires with resistance:
R,R,3R=5R
R,R,6R=8R
2R,3R=5R
2R,6R=8R
and imagine them as parallel.
And then calculate it. You should get something like 20/13 R.

Related to Find total resistance between A and B

What is total resistance and why is it important to find it between point A and B?

Total resistance is the overall measure of opposition to current flow in a circuit. It is important to find it between point A and B because it helps determine the total amount of current that will flow through the circuit and the potential drop of voltage between the two points.

How is total resistance calculated between two points in a circuit?

Total resistance is calculated by adding up the individual resistances of all components in the circuit. This includes resistors, capacitors, and inductors connected in series or parallel.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits and how does it affect total resistance?

In a series circuit, components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in separate branches, allowing multiple paths for current to flow. In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

Is there a limit to how many components can be added to a circuit before the total resistance becomes too high?

Yes, there is a limit to how many components can be added before the total resistance becomes too high. This is because as more components are added, the total resistance increases, and eventually the circuit will not be able to function properly due to a lack of current flow.

What are some common methods for measuring total resistance between two points in a circuit?

There are several methods for measuring total resistance between two points in a circuit, including using a multimeter, Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and using a Wheatstone bridge. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific circuit and its components.