Find Unit Vector for 3-D Orthogonal RH System

In summary, the problem is to find two unit vectors, one parallel to a and one perpendicular to b, for a 3-dimensional orthogonal right handed coordinate system. To do this, we use the cross product rule to find the vector axb, which is perpendicular to both a and b. Then, we use this vector to find a third vector, c, which is perpendicular to both a and axb. These three vectors can then be divided by their lengths to obtain unit vectors.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Two vectors are given by the relations

a = 2i-3j-3k
b = 6i+2j+k

Find unit vectors corresponding to a 3- dimensional orthogonal right handed coordinate system where one of the axes is parallel to [itex]_{}a[/itex] and another of the axes is perpendicular to [itex]_{}b[/itex]

Homework Equations

Cross rule: AXB = C

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from cross product that if we have two vectors in a plane then their multiple vector will also be perpendicular to them. So my vector AXB is : 3i-20j+22k ( perpendicular to a and b )

Now I know they want unit vector which is : v/ magnitude of v but in the above case I was told to find the vector : Ax(AXB)...
I am confused about this point. Can anyone clarify for me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given a and b and asked to find "one unit vector that is parallel to a"- that should be easy- and another that perpendicular to b. As you say, axb is perpendicular to both a and b and so to b. You are then asked to find a third vector, c, say, that is perpendicular to both a and the new vector you just calculated. Yes, that is ax(axb). There is no problem with that- just do it! First find v= axb, then use that to find c= axv. I recommend first finding the vectors v and c and then dividing a, v, and c by their lengths to get unit vectors.

Related to Find Unit Vector for 3-D Orthogonal RH System

1) What is a unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH system?

A unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH (right-handed) system is a vector with a magnitude of 1 that is perpendicular to all other vectors in the system. It is commonly used to represent directions and orientations in three-dimensional space.

2) How do you find the unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH system?

To find the unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH system, you first need to determine the magnitude of the vector. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem. Then, to find the unit vector, divide each component of the vector by its magnitude.

3) Can a unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH system have negative components?

Yes, a unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH system can have negative components. The sign of the components indicates the direction of the vector in relation to the coordinate axes.

4) What is the significance of using a right-handed coordinate system in 3-D?

A right-handed coordinate system is used in 3-D because it allows for a consistent and intuitive way to specify directions and orientations. This is important in fields such as physics and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations are needed.

5) How is the unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH system used in real-world applications?

The unit vector in a 3-D orthogonal RH system is used in various real-world applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and navigation systems. It is also used in physics and engineering to represent forces, velocities, and momenta in three-dimensional space.