Finding Angle of Sphere Falling From Table Edge

In summary, finding the angle of a sphere falling from a table edge involves applying the laws of physics, specifically the concepts of gravity and acceleration, to calculate the angle at which the sphere will roll off the edge. This can be done by measuring the height of the table, the distance from the edge to where the sphere falls, and the time it takes for the sphere to reach the ground. Using these measurements, the angle can be determined using trigonometry or by using the formula for projectile motion. This information can be useful in various fields, such as engineering and physics, to understand the motion of objects and predict their behavior.
ehild said:
They look correct. Go ahead.

Do you think my method is correct too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Satvik Pandey said:
Do you think my method is correct too?
Which method, where? You have the necessary equations as far as I saw in the first post, only replace v with rω. Find theta when Fs=μFn.
You know quite much, just go ahead with the solution. Ask if the result is wrong or you have a special question. I would like to see your result.
You do not need to derive Physical theorems or to solve volume integrals. And no co-rotating frame of reference is needed. Use what you have learnt.

Likes Satvik Pandey and Tanya Sharma
ehild said:
Which method, where? You have the necessary equations as far as I saw in the first post, only replace v with rω. Find theta when Fs=μFn.
You know quite much, just go ahead with the solution. Ask if the result is wrong or you have a special question. I would like to see your result.
You do not need to derive Physical theorems or to solve volume integrals. And no co-rotating frame of reference is needed. Use what you have learnt.
Well I got this
##17cos\theta -4sin\theta =10##
or ##{ (17cos\theta -10) }^{ 2 }=16(1-{ cos }^{ 2 }\theta )##
Am I right till here?

ehild said:
As it is taught in high-schools

I do not think you or anyone else can really say what and how is taught in high schools the world over. I certainly have no idea about India's high school curriculum. Even if that is how it is taught, that was not stated by the original poster, not even when I explicitly said that a justification was required. To me, that is a strong indicator that the equation was obtained by sheer luck, without really understanding the physics behind it, which is a shaky foundation for "going ahead".

That said, you might be right in that the volume integration is not the easiest path to the solution, even if it is valid in principle.

ehild said:
You do not need to derive Physical theorems or to solve volume integrals. And no co-rotating frame of reference is needed.

+1 on this .

ehild's response has been the most sensible and appropriate one . Considering the fact that OP had got it right in post#1 , it is quite puzzling to me why a simple problem was needlessly made to look like a toughie by others .

Last edited:
Satvik Pandey said:
Well I got this
##17cos\theta -4sin\theta =10##

Correct .

Tanya Sharma said:
Correct .

I got ##\theta ={ cos }^{ -1 }(0.74)=41.82##
and ##\theta ={ cos }^{ -1 }(0.36)=68.89##
Is it correct?

Satvik Pandey said:
Is it correct?
One is certainly correct. But check if the normal force is positive for both of them.

Likes Satvik Pandey
Satvik Pandey said:
Is it correct?

One of them is correct . The one which satisfies the equation i have quoted in post#76 is the correct solution.

Likes Satvik Pandey
voko said:
I do not think you or anyone else can really say what and how is taught in high schools the world over.

I am sure that you too, learned it at high school or during the first Physics course at the college:
  1. The net (external) force on a system of particles equals the mass of the system times the acceleration of the system's center of mass. (Newton's Second Law applied to the center of mass).
  2. If the net (external) force on a system of particles is zero, the center of mass of the system will not accelerate (Newton's First Law applied to the center of mass.
  3. The system behaves as if all of its mass were located at the system's center of mass.
It is worth remembering.

ehild said:
One is certainly correct. But check if the normal force is positive for both of them.
I got that positive for 41.82 only.

Tanya Sharma said:
One of them is correct . The one which satisfies the equation i have quoted in post#76 is the correct solution.
41.82 satisfies that equation too.:)

That is the correct answer:). Thank you ehild and Tanya for helping me.:D
Thank you voko, haruspex and mfb.

Well done! But a solution is really good if you start with explaining the applied concepts. "The relevant equations" is not enough.
You should have started with

" The centre of the sphere performs circular motion about the edge, and at the same time, the sphere rotates .
The in-plane motion of a rigid body is equivalent with the motion of the CoM and rotation about the CoM.
In case of no-slip the angular frequency of the circular motion of the CoM is the same as that of the rotational motion. That ensures that the point of contact has zero velocity.
For the motion of the CoM we can write maCoM=∑F(external).
The external forces are gravity, normal force from the edge and force of friction"

Tanya Sharma said:
a simple problem was needlessly made to look like a toughie by others

Really? As I said in #29, in the co-rotating frame, the problem is reduced to an equilibrium problem. The force balance is $$ \vec F + \vec N + \vec P + \vec C + \vec E = 0, $$ where the terms are the force of friction, normal force, weight, total centrifugal force, and total Euler force. In the coordinate system suggested in #48, ##\vec F## and ##\vec E## have only the y-components, both directed upward, ##\vec N## and ##\vec C## have only the x-components, both directed rightward, and ##\vec P## has both components, which are ##mg \cos \theta## and ##mg \sin \theta##, directed leftward and downward, correspondingly, thus yielding $$ F + E = mg \sin \theta \\ N + C = mg \cos \theta . $$ The centrifugal and Euler forces are trivially computed, which gives $$ fN + m \dot \omega r = mg \sin \theta \\ N + m \omega^2 r = mg \cos \theta . $$ How is that tough, exactly?

ehild said:
Well done! But a solution is really good if you start with explaining the applied concepts. "The relevant equations" is not enough.
You should have started with

" The centre of the sphere performs circular motion about the edge, and at the same time, the sphere rotates .
The in-plane motion of a rigid body is equivalent with the motion of the CoM and rotation about the CoM.
In case of no-slip the angular frequency of the circular motion of the CoM is the same as that of the rotational motion. That ensures that the point of contact has zero velocity.
For the motion of the CoM we can write maCoM=∑F(external).
The external forces are gravity, normal force from the edge and force of friction"

Thank you ehild :). I will keep that in mind before starting new thread.

So the ball first rotate about the contact point then it slips and after it looses contact with the cliff. right?
I was wondering at what angle the ball will loose contact with the cliff.
No normal force will act on the ball at the moment it lost contact with the cliff.

So ##\frac { m{ v }^{ 2 } }{ r } =mgcos\theta ##
I think we can not use energy conservation to find other equation because when the sphere begins to slip on the cliff the force of friction begins to do work on it. right?
So, what should I do?

You have the equations for the motion of the CoM, but with kinetic friction this time. The coefficient of the kinetic friction is not known, but It can be the same as the coefficient of static friction. Eliminate the normal force and solve the equation for v as function of theta with the initial condition for theta and v at the instant when the slipping starts.

So I have 2 equations-

##mgcos\theta -N=m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r } ##

and ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu N=ma##

##mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r }= N##

or and ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r })=ma##

Here we can not use ##a=r \alpha##

So ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r })=m\frac{dv}{dt}##

or ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r })=m\frac{dv}{d \theta} \omega ##

But ## \omega=\frac { v }{ r } ##

So ##mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r } )=m\frac { vdv }{ rd\theta } ##

Let ##{ v }^{ 2 }=a\\ So 2vdv=da## ( here ##a## is not acceleration)

##gsin\theta -\mu (gcos\theta -\frac { a }{ r } )=\frac { da }{ 2rd\theta } ##

##\frac { da }{ 2rd\theta } =gsin\theta -\mu gcos\theta +\mu \frac { a }{ r } ##

##\frac { da }{ d\theta } -2\mu a+2rg(\mu cos\theta -sin\theta )=0##

I think this is linear differential equation. Should I solve this with integrating factor method?
Am I correct till here?

Last edited:
Yes, you can apply the integrating factor method at the end.
Explain your method first, and define the variables. What are v, a, and alpha? What is omega? What do you mean that you can not use a=rα? And do not use the symbol a for two different things (acceleration of the CoM and v2.

Last edited:
ehild said:
Explain your method first, and define the variables. What are v, a, and alpha? What is omega? What do you mean that you can not use a=rα? And do not use the symbol a for two different things (acceleration of the CoM and v2.

Sorry ehild, I am getting late for the school:p. I will do that after coming from the school.:)

Satvik Pandey said:
But ##\omega=\frac { v }{ r }##

Is that true when the ball is slipping?

ehild said:

Let ## \theta## be the angle at which the ball is slipping and rotating together.
The CoM of the sphere performs circular motion about the edge. right?
Let the tangential velocity and the acceleration of the CoM at that particular angle ##\theta## be ##v## and ##a## respectively.
Let ## \omega## be the angular velocity of the CoM of the ball about the edge.

p3.png
ehild said:
What do you mean that you can not use a=rα? And do not use the symbol a for two different things (acceleration of the CoM and v2.

I meant ## \alpha## to be the angular acceleration of the that ball about the CoM. We can not use this formula as the ball is slipping.

Sorry for using a for two different things. I am going to change it.

voko said:
Is that true when the ball is slipping?

Here v is the tangential velocity of the CoM at angle ##\theta## and ## \omega## is the angular velocity of the CoM of the ball and the ball is doing circular motion about the edge. So can we not use this equation ##v=r \omega##?

Last edited:
Satvik Pandey said:
So I have 2 equations-

##mgcos\theta -N=m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r } ##

and ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu N=ma##

##mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r }= N##

or and ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r })=ma##

Here we can not use ##a=r \alpha##

So ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r })=m\frac{dv}{dt}##

or ##\\ mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r })=m\frac{dv}{d \theta} \omega ##

But ## \omega=\frac { v }{ r } ##

So ##mgsin\theta -\mu (mgcos\theta -m\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ r } )=m\frac { vdv }{ rd\theta } ##

Let ##{ v }^{ 2 }=x\\ So 2vdv=dx##

##gsin\theta -\mu (gcos\theta -\frac { x }{ r } )=\frac { dx }{ 2rd\theta } ##

##\frac { dx }{ 2rd\theta } =gsin\theta -\mu gcos\theta +\mu \frac { x }{ r } ##

##\frac { dx }{ d\theta } -2\mu x+2rg(\mu cos\theta -sin\theta )=0##

I think this is linear differential equation. Should I solve this with integrating factor method?
Am I correct till here?

I have now edited it. Please see the quoted text.

Ah, so ##\omega## is the angular velocity of the CoM, not of the ball itself. Disregard #91 in that case.

voko said:
Ah, so ##\omega## is the angular velocity of the CoM, not of the ball itself. Disregard #91 in that case.

Is differential equation that I have derived correct?

I do not see any obvious mistake.

Satvik Pandey said:
Let ## \theta## be the angle at which the ball is slipping and rotating together.

Theta is the angle of the radius, connecting the centre of the sphere with the edge, with respect to the vertical.
As the sphere touches the edge, the centre moves along a circle, but that circular motion is decoupled from the rotation of the sphere.
Satvik Pandey said:
The CoM of the sphere performs circular motion about the edge. right?
Let the tangential velocity and the acceleration of the CoM at that particular angle ##\theta## be ##v## and ##a## respectively.
Let ## \omega## be the angular velocity of the CoM of the ball about the edge.

that is correct.

Satvik Pandey said:
I meant ## \alpha## to be the angular acceleration of the that ball about the CoM. We can not use this formula as the ball is slipping.

You can totally disregard the rotation of the ball about its centre because of the slipping. The slipping ensures that the force of friction is kinetic, wirth defined magnitude Fk=μN.
But you can define angular variables for the circular motion of the centre. The angular velocity of the circular motion is ω=v/r, and the angular acceleration is α=a/r.

Satvik Pandey said:
I have now edited it. Please see the quoted text.
The editing looks terrible, :Dbut the equation is OK.

ehild said:
The editing looks terrible, :Dbut the equation is OK.

It is very lengthy to solve that equation with Integrating Factor method.:confused:
I hope that I solve it soon.

There is an other method to solve the linear inhomogeneous differential equation x'-2μx=f(θ).
Take the general solution of the homogeneous part: it is x=Ce2μθ.
Add a particular solution Xp of the inhomogeneous equation: the general solution will be x=Ce2μθ+Xp.
In case the inhomogeneous part contains sine and cosine functions, you can seek the solution in the form Xp=Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ). Replacing Xp =Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ) into the equation, you can find the constants A and B.

ehild said:
There is an other method to solve the linear inhomogeneous differential equation x'-2μx=f(θ).
Take the general solution of the homogeneous part: it is x=Ce2μθ.
Add a particular solution Xp of the inhomogeneous equation: the general solution will be x=Ce2μθ+Xp.
In case the inhomogeneous part contains sine and cosine functions, you can seek the solution in the form Xp=Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ). Replacing Xp =Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ) into the equation, you can find the constants A and B.

I am getting

##x=-rg\left( \frac { 3sin\theta -cos\theta }{ 2 } \right) +C##

or ##{ v }^{ 2 }=-rg\left( \frac { 3sin\theta -cos\theta }{ 2 } \right) +C##

Am I correct?

I do not think so. Have you tried to substitute it back into the de?

ehild said:
I do not think so. Have you tried to substitute it back into the de?

What is de?

differential equation

ehild said:
differential equation
No