Finding Solutions for Sin 2θ = Sin θ in the Interval 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360?

In summary, a trigonometry interval problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the values of trigonometric functions within a specific range of values. To solve these problems, one must use trigonometric identities and formulas, as well as visualization techniques, and be aware of common mistakes such as forgetting to convert angles or not paying attention to the given interval. These types of problems have various real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

Find all values of θ in the interval 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360 that satisfy the equation sin 2θ = sin θ

Homework Equations

sin2θ = 2sinAcosA

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused on how to start off knowing sin2θ is equivalent to 2sinAcosA, would you factor this?

Physics news on Phys.org

sin2A = SinA
2SinAcosA = SinA
2SinAcosA - SinA = 0
SinA (2CosA-1)= 0
sinA = 0 2CosA-1=0
A= 0,180,360 A= 60, 300

i didn't check this, i just did this real quick, if i was wrong sorry, but i think i did it right
Hope that helps

Thanks a lot for this :)

Related to Finding Solutions for Sin 2θ = Sin θ in the Interval 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360?

1. What is a trigonometry interval problem?

A trigonometry interval problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the values of the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) within a specific interval or range of values. This can be used to solve real-world problems, such as finding the height of a building using trigonometric ratios.

2. How do you solve a trigonometry interval problem?

To solve a trigonometry interval problem, you will need to use the trigonometric identities and formulas to manipulate the given equations and find the values of the trigonometric functions within the given interval. It may also involve using the unit circle or other geometric concepts to visualize and understand the problem.

3. What are some common applications of trigonometry interval problems?

Trigonometry interval problems are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. They can be used to solve problems related to angles, distances, heights, and other geometric relationships in real-world situations.

4. What are some tips for solving trigonometry interval problems?

Some tips for solving trigonometry interval problems include understanding the basic trigonometric identities, using the unit circle to visualize the problem, breaking down complex equations into simpler forms, and practicing using different problem-solving techniques.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry interval problems?

One common mistake when solving trigonometry interval problems is forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians or vice versa. It is also important to double-check your calculations and use the correct trigonometric identities for the given problem. Another common mistake is not paying attention to the given interval or range of values, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

Back