Finding the Euler-Lagrange equation for a special pendulum

Hamilton's equations and Lagrange's equations are equivalent) that mass must be a function of time?In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the Euler-Lagrange and Hamilton's equations for a system with a pendulum. The summary highlights the steps and equations involved in finding the Lagrangian of the system and solving for the equations of motion. It also mentions the physical significance of different values of the frequency and raises a question about the dependence of mass on time in the equations of motion.
pondzo

Homework Statement

Qn3 problem sheet 1 dynamics.PNG

Qn3 problem sheet 1 dynamics#2.PNG

Homework Equations

Euler - Lagrange equation:
##\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\theta})=\frac{\partial L }{\partial \theta}##

Hamilton's equations:

##\frac{\partial H}{\partial \theta}=-p_{\theta}\text{ and }\frac{\partial H}{\partial p_{\theta}}=\dot\theta##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Part a and b was basically finding the lagrangian of the system, for which i got (and is correct):

##L=\frac{m}{2}[l^2\dot\theta^2+\dot{\tilde{y}}^2+2l\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot{\theta}\sin{\theta}]-mg[\tilde{y}-l\cos{\theta}]##

All of the derivatives rules are getting me confused for part c and d.

##\sin{\theta}\approx \theta \text{ and } \cos{\theta}\approx 1-\frac{1}{2}\theta^2##

New lagrangian with approximation:

##L\approx\frac{m}{2}[l^2\dot\theta^2+\dot{\tilde{y}}^2+2l\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot{\theta}\theta]-mg[\tilde{y}-l+\frac{1}{2}l\theta^2]##

##\textbf{Part C}##

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\theta}=\frac{m}{2}[2l^2\dot\theta+2l\dot{\tilde{y}}\theta]=ml^2\dot\theta+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\theta##
##\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\theta})=ml^2\ddot\theta+ml\ddot{\tilde{y}}\theta+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot\theta##
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta}=ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot\theta-mg\theta##

Therefore, Legrange's equation reads:

##ml^2\ddot\theta+ml\ddot{\tilde{y}}\theta+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot\theta=ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot\theta-mlg\theta##

Does this look correct?

The last part of question 3 asks us to discuss the physical meaning for arbitrary frequency and for ##\omega\ll 1##. I think this implies that I should put ##\tilde{y}=y_0\sin{\omega t}## into the Euler-Lagrange equation... but then I have a problem of computing ##\dot{\tilde{y}}\text{ and }\ddot{\tilde{y}}##.

Do these look correct?

##\tilde{y}\approx y_o\dot{\theta}t##
##\dot{\tilde{y}}\approx y_0\ddot{\theta}t+y_0\dot\theta##
##\ddot{\tilde{y}} \approx y_0\dddot{\theta}t+y_0\ddot{\theta}+y_0\ddot{\theta}=y_0\dddot{\theta}t+2y_0\ddot{\theta}##

If this is correct, after subbing these into the Euler-Lagrange equation, I'm still not sure of the physical significance of arbitrary omega and when omega is far less than one.

I will not do part D in this same post. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pondzo said:
New lagrangian with approximation:

##L\approx\frac{m}{2}[l^2\dot\theta^2+\dot{\tilde{y}}^2+2l\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot{\theta}\theta]-mg[\tilde{y}-l+\frac{1}{2}\theta^2]##
Check the last term on the right. It doesn't have the same dimensions as the other terms.

##\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\theta})=ml^2\ddot\theta+ml\ddot{\tilde{y}}\theta+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\ddot\theta##
Check last term on the right.

The last part of question 3 asks us to discuss the physical meaning for arbitrary frequency and for ##\omega\ll 1##. I think this implies that I should put ##\dot{\tilde{y}}=y_0\sin{\omega t}## into the Euler-Lagrange equation...
Why the dot over the y here?
but then I have a problem of computing ##\dot{\tilde{y}}\text{ and }\ddot{\tilde{y}}##.
Since you are given ##y## as a function of time, you can just take derivatives of this function to get expressions for ##\dot{y}## and ##\ddot{y}##.

Do these look correct?

##\tilde{y}\approx y_o\dot{\theta}t##
##\dot{\tilde{y}}\approx y_0\ddot{\theta}t+y_0\dot\theta##
##\ddot{\tilde{y}} \approx y_0\dddot{\theta}t+y_0\ddot{\theta}+y_0\ddot{\theta}=y_0\dddot{\theta}t+2y_0\ddot{\theta}##

I don't understand these expressions.

Hi TSny and thank you for your reply.

TSny said:
Check the last term on the right. It doesn't have the same dimensions as the other terms.

My mistake, there should be an ##l## in front of the ##\frac{1}{2}\theta^2##

So, $$L\approx\frac{m}{2}[l^2\dot\theta^2+\dot{\tilde{y}}^2+2l\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot{\theta}\theta]-mg[\tilde{y}-l+\frac{1}{2}l\theta^2]$$

TSny said:
Check last term on the right.

Oops, it should be:

$$\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot\theta})=ml^2\ddot\theta+ml\ddot{\tilde{y}}\theta+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot\theta$$

TSny said:
Why the dot over the y here?

There shouldn't be a dot, that was a typo. I will amend all of these mistakes in the original post.

TSny said:
I don't understand these expressions.

##\tilde{y}=y_0\sin{\omega t} \approx y_0\omega t =y_0\dot{\theta}t ##

I then took consecutive time derivatives although i am a little confused as to whether it is a total or partial derivative.

##\omega## does not equal ##\dot{\theta}##.

##\omega## is a constant representing the angular frequency of the point of support.
##\dot{\theta}## is not a constant and it represents the rate of change of the angle of the pendulum.

Also, I don't think you can assume ##\omega t## is small here.

pondzo said:
Therefore, Legrange's equation reads:

##ml^2\ddot\theta+ml\ddot{\tilde{y}}\theta+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\ddot\theta=-mgl\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot\theta-mg\theta##

Does this look correct?

Where did the negative sign come from for the first term on the right?

(The last term on the left still needs a correction.)

Oh of course, how silly of me. Thanks for clearing that up.

That negative should not have been there. I think all the corrections have been made now..

so after plugging in ##\ddot{\tilde{y}}=-y_0\omega^2\sin{\omega t}## and cancelling the m's and a factor of l i getfor the equation of motion:

$$l\ddot\theta+(g-y_0\omega^2\sin{\omega t})\theta=0$$

Although I'm still not sure of the physical significance of arbitrary omega and small omega.. except that when omega is small the equation would be simpler to solve since we can approximate ##\ddot{\tilde{y}} \approx 0## and the non linearity disappears?

Also, this is slightly irrelevant, but is that differential equation one of bessels ?

Wait a second... In the Lagrange equations of motion the dynamics are independent of the mass of the bob (at least in my attempt). But when I find Hamilton's equations they are dependent upon mass.. that can't be right can it?

pondzo said:
$$l\ddot\theta+(g-y_0\omega^2\sin{\omega t})\theta=0$$

OK. I think that's right. I believe this would be classified as a linear differential equation with variable coefficients. Both ##\ddot{\theta}## and ##\theta## occur to just the first power. It does not have the form of a Bessel differential equation (at least not that I'm familiar with).

I'm not sure what they want for a physical interpretation. Could you interpret the expression in parentheses as an "effective, time-dependent gravitational acceleration (or field)"?

You could take the ##y_0 \omega^2 sin(\omega t) \theta## to the other side and interpret it as a harmonic "driving" term for the pendulum. But it does not have the typical form of a driving term since it is proportional to ##\theta##; whereas, a typical driving term would not depend on ##\theta##.

pondzo said:
Wait a second... In the Lagrange equations of motion the dynamics are independent of the mass of the bob (at least in my attempt). But when I find Hamilton's equations they are dependent upon mass.. that can't be right can it?
The mass will appear in the individual Hamilton's equations. But if you combine the equations to get a second order differential equation for ##\ddot{\theta}## you will find that the mass cancels out. Note that the momentum conjugate to ##\theta## is proportional to ##m## when expressed in terms of ##\theta## and ##\dot{\theta}##.

TSny said:
The mass will appear in the individual Hamilton's equations. But if you combine the equations to get a second order differential equation for θ¨\ddot{\theta} you will find that the mass cancels out. Note that the momentum conjugate to θ\theta is proportional to mm when expressed in terms of θ\theta and θ˙\dot{\theta}.

Ok yeah that makes sense.

To get the Hamiltonian (and thus Hamilton's equations of motion for this system), do I only need to sub in ##\dot{\theta}=\frac{p_{\theta}}{ml^2}## ?

pondzo said:
To get the Hamiltonian (and thus Hamilton's equations of motion for this system), do I only need to sub in ##\dot{\theta}=\frac{p_{\theta}}{ml^2}## ?
I don't believe that's the correct relation between ##\dot{\theta}## and ##p_{\theta}##.

Yes, you will need to make a substitution for ##\dot{\theta}## in order to express the Hamiltonian in terms of ##p_{\theta}## and ##\theta##.

Related to Finding the Euler-Lagrange equation for a special pendulum

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation and why is it important in physics?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a system in classical mechanics. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a system is the one that minimizes the action integral. This equation is important because it allows us to determine the equations of motion for a physical system, which can then be used to make predictions about its behavior.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived for a special pendulum?

To derive the Euler-Lagrange equation for a special pendulum, we first need to define the Lagrangian, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the system. Then, we use the principle of least action to find the stationary point of the action integral, which leads to the Euler-Lagrange equation for the pendulum.

3. What are the assumptions made when finding the Euler-Lagrange equation for a special pendulum?

When finding the Euler-Lagrange equation for a special pendulum, it is assumed that the pendulum is a simple harmonic oscillator, there is no external force acting on the system, and the pendulum is constrained to move in a single plane. These assumptions allow us to simplify the derivation and make the resulting equation more manageable.

4. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation used to study the motion of a special pendulum?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is used to solve for the equations of motion of a special pendulum, which describe how the pendulum's position and velocity change over time. These equations can then be used to make predictions about the pendulum's behavior, such as its period and amplitude of oscillation.

5. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be applied to other physical systems besides a special pendulum?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including particles, rigid bodies, and continuous systems. As long as the system can be described by a Lagrangian and the principle of least action applies, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be used to study its motion and behavior.