Finding the Resultant Angle for Vector Addition Using Law of Sines and Cosines

• MHB
  • Thread starter bergausstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resultant
In summary, the problem at hand involves using the law of sine and law of cosine to determine the necessary angle for vector addition. The person has tried using the parallelogram rule and the triangle rule, but is unsure of how to find the correct angle. However, it is known that the angle between the two given vectors is the difference between the angles they make with the horizontal.
bergausstein
please help me solve the problem graphically,

what I know is that eventually I 'm going to be using law of sine and law of cosine for this problem. my problem is how to determine the necessary angle to be used in that method.

this is how far I can get to, I use parallelogram rule and I'm stuck. please help.

find R and $\theta_R$

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you put the tail of $\vec{F}_2$ on the tip of $\vec{F}_1$, you can perform vector addition, right? How do you perform vector addition?

Ackbach said:
If you put the tail of $\vec{F}_2$ on the tip of $\vec{F}_1$, you can perform vector addition, right? How do you perform vector addition?

triangle rule

yes using triangle I can add them. But I can't see the proper angle to be use in doing that. please tell me how go about finding that angle.

bergausstein said:
yes using triangle I can add them. But I can't see the proper angle to be use in doing that. please tell me how go about finding that angle.
You know that the angle between $\vec{F_1}$ and the horizontal is $30^\circ$. The angle between $\vec{F_2}$ and the horizontal is $45^\circ + 90^\circ$. The difference between those two angles is the angle between $\vec{F_1}$ and $\vec{F_2}$.

Related to Finding the Resultant Angle for Vector Addition Using Law of Sines and Cosines

What is the definition of resultant?

The resultant is the vector sum of two or more vectors.

How do you find the resultant of two or more vectors?

To find the resultant, you must first break down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can add the horizontal components together and the vertical components together to get the resultant vector.

What is the difference between the resultant and the equilibrant?

The resultant is the sum of two or more vectors, while the equilibrant is a single vector that has the same magnitude as the resultant but points in the opposite direction. The equilibrant can be used to balance out the resultant vector.

Can the resultant of two or more vectors be zero?

Yes, the resultant can be zero if the vectors are balanced in a way that their horizontal and vertical components cancel each other out.

What is the purpose of finding the resultant?

Finding the resultant allows us to determine the overall direction and magnitude of multiple forces acting on an object. This is useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and navigation.