Finding Trig Identities: How Do I Solve Trig Equations with Given Values?

In summary, the problem is asking to find the values of sin(theta), cos(theta), and tan(theta + pi) given that tan(theta) = -4/5 and sin(theta) > 0. To solve this, we use the geometric definitions of the trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem. We find that sin(theta) = -4/5, cos(theta) = 3/5, and tan(theta + pi) = 4/5.
Mike_Winegar

Homework Statement

Problem 6. If you know that tan(theta) = -4/5 and sin(theta) > 0, find:
(a) sin(theta)
(b) cos(theta)
(c) tan(theta + pi)

Homework Equations

cos^2(t)+sin^2(t)=1
tan(t)=sin(t)/cos(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher went over this today, but likes to skip over steps that I just don't understand. What I've done so far...

-4/5=sin(t)/cos(t)

sin(t)=(-4cos(t)/5)
solved for sin(t)

((-4cos(t)/5)/cos(t))
plugged sin(t) equation back into original equation

ends up being
(-4cos^2(t)/5)=-4/5

We then have the identity that cos^2 + sin^2 = 1

Here's where I get lost. My teacher jumped it directly to:
(-4/5 cos(t))^2 +cos^2(t)=1

I assume you would plug in our original sin(t)=(-4cos(t)/5) into the above identity, but I have no clue as to how she did that without having an additional 4/5th where she substituted the cos side of the equation in for the sin portion of the identity.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lollol

I think I just figured it out actually. Was my teacher using the Pythagorean theorem and not a trig identity?
So:
(-4/5 cos)^2 + cos^2 =r^2
(-4/5 cos)^2 + cos^2 =1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To do these, it will help if you recall the geometric definitions of the trig functions. tan is opposite over adjacent. So, think of an angle in a triangle, with opposite=-4 and adjacent=5. Find the hypotenuse, then use SOH-CAH-TOA.

Related to Finding Trig Identities: How Do I Solve Trig Equations with Given Values?

1. How do I identify which trig identities to use to solve a trig equation?

To solve a trig equation, you must first identify which trig identities are relevant to the given equation. This can be done by examining the given values and the desired solution. You can also use the Pythagorean identities and sum/difference formulas to simplify the equation and determine which trig functions are involved.

2. What are the steps for solving a trig equation with given values?

To solve a trig equation with given values, follow these steps:

1. Simplify the equation using trig identities, if necessary.
  2. Isolate the trig function that contains the unknown variable on one side of the equation.
  3. Use inverse trig functions to solve for the unknown variable.
  4. Check your solution by substituting the value back into the original equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve trig equations with given values?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trig equations with given values. Most scientific calculators have built-in functions for trigonometric functions and their inverses. However, it is important to understand the steps for solving trig equations manually in order to use the calculator effectively.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trig equations with given values?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trig equations with given values include:

• Forgetting to use the inverse trig function to solve for the unknown variable.
  • Using the wrong trig identity or formula.
  • Not checking your solution for extraneous solutions.
  • Using the calculator incorrectly or relying on it too much.

5. How can I check if my solution to a trig equation with given values is correct?

To check if your solution to a trig equation with given values is correct, you can substitute the value back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also graph the equation and check if the solution corresponds to the point of intersection between the graph and the given value. Additionally, you can use a calculator to verify the solution.