Fixing Footnote Placement in eqnarray: Tips and Tricks for Proper Formatting

• Thread starter PaulaS
  • Start date
In summary, to fix the placement of footnotes in eqnarray, use the \footnotemark and \footnotetext commands. These commands allow for proper formatting and placement of footnotes in eqnarray by inserting a footnote number at a specific point and corresponding text outside of the environment. To ensure proper formatting, use the \footnotesize command before the eqnarray environment and use different numbers for multiple footnotes. Another helpful tip is to use the \label and \ref commands to refer to specific footnotes within the text.
PaulaS
Hello,

I am writing a formula in 'eqnarray' and I need to write a footnote.

Here is my code:

Code:
\begin{eqnarray*}
\Omega(^4S_{3/2},^2D_{5/2})
&=& \frac{2J' + 1}{(2S' + 1)(2L' + 1)} \Omega(^4S, ^2D)\footnote{Table 1}\\
&=& \frac{2(5/2)+1}{(2)(5)}(6.9)\\ 
&=& 4.14\\
\end{eqnarray*}

The number '1' is appearing next to Omega, but the footnote (Table 1) is not appearing at the end of the page.

How can I fix it?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to fix it.

If anyone is interested here is the new code:

Code:
\begin{eqnarray*}
\Omega(^4S_{3/2},^2D_{5/2})
&=& \frac{2J' + 1}{(2S' + 1)(2L' + 1)} \Omega(^4S, ^2D)\footnotemark\\
&=& \frac{2(5/2)+1}{(2)(5)}(6.9)\\ 
&=& 4.14\\
\end{eqnarray*}
\footnotetext{Table 1}

FAQ: Fixing Footnote Placement in eqnarray: Tips and Tricks for Proper Formatting

1. How do I fix the placement of footnotes in eqnarray?

To fix the placement of footnotes in eqnarray, you can use the \footnotemark and \footnotetext commands. Place the \footnotemark command at the point where you want the footnote number to appear, and then place the corresponding \footnotetext command outside of the eqnarray environment.

2. What is the purpose of using \footnotemark and \footnotetext commands?

The \footnotemark command is used to insert a footnote number at a specific point in the eqnarray. The \footnotetext command is then used to insert the corresponding text for the footnote outside of the eqnarray environment. This allows for proper formatting and placement of footnotes in eqnarray.

3. How do I ensure proper formatting of footnotes in eqnarray?

In addition to using the \footnotemark and \footnotetext commands, it is important to use the \footnotesize command before the eqnarray environment. This will ensure that the footnote text is formatted in a smaller font size, consistent with standard footnote formatting.

4. Can I use multiple footnotes in eqnarray?

Yes, you can use multiple footnotes in eqnarray by using different numbers for the \footnotemark command and corresponding \footnotetext commands. Make sure to use the same font size command before the eqnarray environment for all footnotes to maintain consistent formatting.

5. Are there any other tips for proper formatting of footnotes in eqnarray?

Another helpful tip is to use the \label and \ref commands to refer to specific footnotes within the eqnarray. This can make it easier to keep track of multiple footnotes and ensure that they are referenced correctly within the text.