Fokker-Planck P(y,t): Understanding the Derivation

• Thread starter Abigale
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Fokker-Planck equation from the master equation, with the resulting equation being shown. The author then reaffirms the equality between the two equations and raises questions about the conditions under which the equations would be equal. The author's name is not mentioned.
Abigale
I am Reading in a Book of Stochastic Processes.

I understood the Derivation of the Fokker-Planck equation from the master equation.
The Result is (the FPE):
$$
\frac{\partial P(y,t)}{\partial t}
=
- \frac{\partial}{\partial y}
{ \lbrace {a_{1}(y)P} \rbrace }
+
\frac{1}{2}
\frac{\partial ^{2} }{\partial ^{2} y}
{\lbrace {a_{2}(y)P} \rbrace}
$$

Than the author recommits to the FPE, which he introduced at the beginning of the chapter.
He says, both are equal.

$$
\frac{\partial P(y,t)}{\partial t}
=
- \frac{\partial}{\partial y}
A(y)P
+
\frac{1}{2}
\frac{\partial ^{2} y}{\partial ^{2}}
B(y)P
$$

I don't understand why they should be equal.
I think that they are just equal, wenn [itex]\frac{\partial P(y,t)}{\partial y} = 0[/itex]. But why sould it be zero/ P=const ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this is an old post, but what is the author of the book you are reading?

I am not sure if I can answer your question.

I know this is an old post, but what is the author of the book you are reading?

I am not sure if I can answer your question.

Related to Fokker-Planck P(y,t): Understanding the Derivation

1. What is the Fokker-Planck equation and how is it derived?

The Fokker-Planck equation is a partial differential equation that describes the time evolution of the probability density function of a stochastic process. It is derived from the Langevin equation, which describes the dynamics of a particle in a random environment.

2. What is the physical interpretation of the Fokker-Planck equation?

The Fokker-Planck equation describes the evolution of a probability distribution over time, so it can be interpreted as a way to predict the future behavior of a stochastic system. It is often used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model systems with random fluctuations.

3. How is the Fokker-Planck equation related to Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is a type of random motion exhibited by particles in a fluid. The Fokker-Planck equation can be used to describe the probability distribution of the position of a particle undergoing Brownian motion over time.

4. What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the Fokker-Planck equation?

The Fokker-Planck equation assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium and that the random forces acting on the particles are Gaussian and uncorrelated with each other. It also assumes that the system is in a continuous state and that the dynamics can be described by a Markov process.

5. How is the Fokker-Planck equation solved?

The Fokker-Planck equation can be solved using various numerical methods or by using analytical techniques such as separation of variables or perturbation theory. The specific method used depends on the system being modeled and the desired level of accuracy.