Force Analysis of a Pulley System with Inclined Plane and Hanging Masses

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 4.00 kg on an inclined plane of angle 30.0° connected to a hanging block of mass 2.40 kg through a cord over a pulley. The magnitude of acceleration for both blocks is 0.975 m/s^2 and the tension in the cord is 43.12 N. To solve for these values, equations for both objects must be set up using the sum of forces and the F=ma equation.
B-80
A block of mass m1 = 4.00 kg on a frictionless inclined plane of angle 30.0° is connected by a cord over a massless, frictionless pulley to a second block of mass m2 = 2.40 kg hanging vertically (Fig. 5-41).

05_52.gif

Figure 5-41

(a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of each block?
F=ma; F1=M1g F1 = 23.5N F2=M2Gsin(30)=19.6N Ax1=3.9N/4kg=.975m/s^2 that's wrong, the same for the other mass which I just subbed the 4 with the 2.4kg

(b)What is the tension in the cord?

the two forces combined 19.6+23.5=43.12N
also wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two forces acting on m1, a component of m1*g acting along the incline and the tension T. There are also two forces acting on m2, m2*g and T. Both have the same acceleration a, so write F=ma for each and solve for a and T.

I understand that, but that still yeilds a force of 3.9N right, in negative X I have M1gsin30 and in positive I have M2g so, Fx1= M2g - M1gsin30 =3.9N and divided by mass, that's still .975m/s^2 right?

You are just adding together the gravitational forces. I don't see any tension force in there. Write down the sum of the forces on each object and then equate them to m*a. Call the tension T. It's pulling up on both objects. There are two unknowns in the problem, the tension and the acceleration. You need an F=ma equation for both objects to get two equations to solve for them.

okay I got you, I need to put T in there from the start, I just supposed T was the difference in the forces.

Related to Force Analysis of a Pulley System with Inclined Plane and Hanging Masses

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove to change the direction of a force, typically used to lift heavy loads with less effort.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by using a combination of fixed and movable pulleys to distribute the load of an object evenly. The load is attached to a rope or cable that passes through the pulleys, allowing the user to pull down on the rope to lift the load using a smaller force.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force applied. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with the load, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the force on a pulley system?

The number of pulleys affects the force on a pulley system by increasing the mechanical advantage. The more pulleys there are, the less force is required to lift the object. This is because the weight of the load is distributed among the multiple pulleys, reducing the force needed to lift the load.

5. What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems: fixed pulley, movable pulley, and compound pulley. A fixed pulley has a fixed axle and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley has a movable axle and changes both the direction and magnitude of the force. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to create an even greater mechanical advantage.