Force Vectors: Find Horizontal Acceleration & Direction for 5.00-kg Block

In summary, the 5.00-kg block is being acted upon by two forces, F1 = 30.0 N and F2 = 45.5 N, in the horizontal direction. Using the equations F=ma and a=F/m, the horizontal acceleration is calculated to be 6.564 m/s^2. The direction of the acceleration can be determined by considering the net force, which is in the direction of the greater force, F2. Therefore, the acceleration is to the right.
MakeItThrough

Homework Statement

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/04_11.gif
Two forces, F1 and F2, act on the 5.00-kg block shown in the drawing. The magnitudes of the forces are F1 = 30.0 N and F2 = 45.5 N. What is the horizontal acceleration (magnitude and direction) of the block? Direction... Left or Right?

Homework Equations

F = mass x acceleration
acceleration = F / Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I got two x and y components:
F1x = cos65 x 30 = 12.68 N
F1y = sin65 x 30 = 27.19 N
I do not know how to calculate the acceleration, please help and explain. Thanks in advance.

*I figured out the horizontal acceleration, but how do you know which direction it goes? Left or right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theer are a couple of other forces in the y direction not shown, but that block isn't going anywhere in the y direction, so you need not concern yourself with y direction forces in this problem . You have F1x correct, what about F2x? Then look in the x direction using Newton's 2nd law to solve for the acceleration (magnitude AND direction) in the x direction.

ahh I figured it out. F1x is 12.68 N and F2 is 45.5 N. I just subtract 12.68 from 45.5 and that gives me 32.82 N. The mass of 5 kg is given.
Plugging this into the formula F=ma
32.82 / 5 kg = 6.564 m/s^2.
However, I'm not sure which direction the horizontal acceleration goes. Left or Right? How can you tell?

MakeItThrough said:
ahh I figured it out. F1x is 12.68 N and F2 is 45.5 N. I just subtract 12.68 from 45.5 and that gives me 32.82 N. The mass of 5 kg is given.
Plugging this into the formula F=ma
32.82 / 5 kg = 6.564 m/s^2.
However, I'm not sure which direction the horizontal acceleration goes. Left or Right? How can you tell?
The acceleration is always in the direction of the net force. Since F2 is greater than the horizontal component of F1, then the horizontal net force acts to the ____ and thus the acceleration is to the ____.

PhanthomJay said:
The acceleration is always in the direction of the net force. Since F2 is greater than the horizontal component of F1, then the horizontal net force acts to the ____ and thus the acceleration is to the ____.

Thank you! This is now starting to make sense!
(left)

FAQ: Force Vectors: Find Horizontal Acceleration & Direction for 5.00-kg Block

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a representation of a force in a specific direction and magnitude. It is typically depicted as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the force.

2. How is horizontal acceleration calculated?

Horizontal acceleration is calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object in the horizontal direction by the mass of the object. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the horizontal acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What information is needed to find the horizontal acceleration of a 5.00-kg block?

To find the horizontal acceleration of a 5.00-kg block, you will need to know the net force acting on the block in the horizontal direction and the mass of the block. This information can then be used in the equation a = F/m to calculate the horizontal acceleration.

4. What does the direction of a force vector indicate?

The direction of a force vector indicates the direction in which the force is acting. This can be either in the positive or negative direction, depending on the coordinate system being used.

5. Can horizontal acceleration be negative?

Yes, horizontal acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down in the horizontal direction, as opposed to speeding up. This can occur if the net force acting on the object is in the opposite direction of its motion.

Back