Forces and defining coordinate systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force using the equations F=ma and vi=vf + at. The individual asking the question is confused about the units used in the answer and the direction of the force. The responder clarifies that the units are likely a typo and explains the correct direction of the force in relation to the chosen positive direction. The conversation concludes with a calculation of acceleration and the confirmation that the retarding force is also upward.
Amideus

Homework Statement

parachute.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
vi=vf + at

The Attempt at a Solution

If i was to define upward as positive y direction, would the answer be = -881 pounds (btw why is the answer in the image in Newtons?) and because i defined upward as +y would
ƩF = T - w? where w = mg.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right about the units. I am not too familiar with slugs, pounds, ft/s^2 but I think you're right about Newtons being a typo.

On the other hand, you are wrong about the direction of the force. Since we set upward as positive, the initial and final velocities are negative.

a=(Vf-Vi)/t=(-35-(160))/0.80=+156 ft/s^2

Since the acceleration is upward, the retarding force is also upward.

FAQ: Forces and defining coordinate systems

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to change its motion or shape. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What are the different types of forces?

The different types of forces include gravity, friction, applied force, normal force, tension, spring force, and air resistance. These forces can either be contact forces, which require physical contact between objects, or non-contact forces, which act over a distance.

How do you define a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a system of lines or points used to determine the position of an object in space. It consists of an origin point and axes, usually labeled as x, y, and z, to represent the three dimensions of length, width, and height.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that has only magnitude, such as mass or temperature. A vector quantity, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as force or velocity.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

Back