Forces on an Incline: Solving & Sliding

In summary, the conversation involved solving a physics problem involving forces and acceleration on a block on an inclined plane. The first part of the solution involved finding the acceleration using the equation ma = - mgSin(25) - u(k)mgCos(25), which resulted in an incorrect answer of 1.57 m/s^2. The second part involved calculating the friction force and determining if the block would slide down the plane, which was correctly solved using the equation friction= u(s)mgCos(25). However, the original approach was correct and the correct answer was found to be -6.98 m/s^2 using the equation a = - g[Sin(25) + u(k)Cos(25)].
MitsuShai

Homework Statement

http://s324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/?action=view&current=q1-1.jpg

Homework Equations

f=ma
f= uFn

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I found the forces acting on the block acting in the x and y directions to make two equations

then I solved for weight force with the forces in the y direction and that will equal the normal force

next I basically just plugged stuff in:
ma = - mgSin(25) - u(k)mgCos(25)
a = - g[Sin(25) + u(k)Cos(25)]

I got the acceleration to be 1.57 m/s^2 , is that correct?

b) friction= u(s)mgCos(25)
For the block to slide down the weight component must be greater then the max friction force,so
mgSin(25) > u(s)mgcos(25)
Tan(25) > u(s)
.446> .44
so the block will slide down

am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
MitsuShai said:
next I basically just plugged stuff in:
ma = - mgSin(25) - u(k)mgCos(25)
a = - g[Sin(25) + u(k)Cos(25)]
Your approach looks about right to me. :approve:
I got the acceleration to be 1.57 m/s^2 , is that correct?
But you should double check your math. Something didn't come out correctly when you plugged the numbers in.
b) friction= u(s)mgCos(25)
For the block to slide down the weight component must be greater then the max friction force,so
mgSin(25) > u(s)mgcos(25)
Tan(25) > u(s)
.446> .44
so the block will slide down
Part b) looks fine to me. :approve:

(btw, for next time, this type of problem probably belongs in the "Introductory Physics", homework and coursework subforum.)

collinsmark said:
Your approach looks about right to me. :approve:

But you should double check your math. Something didn't come out correctly when you plugged the numbers in.

Part b) looks fine to me. :approve:

(btw, for next time, this type of problem probably belongs in the "Introductory Physics", homework and coursework subforum.)

I'm still getting 1.57 m/s^2 as my answer:
a= [(1.6*9.8*sin25)-(.32*14.211*cos25)]/1.6 = 1.57 m/s^2

MitsuShai said:
I'm still getting 1.57 m/s^2 as my answer:
a= [(1.6*9.8*sin25)-(.32*14.211*cos25)]/1.6 = 1.57 m/s^2
Whoa, Where did that equation come from. :rolleyes: I didn't see anything like that in your original post.

Go back to to original post. You had the right idea then.

collinsmark said:
Whoa, Where did that equation come from. :rolleyes: I didn't see anything like that in your original post.

Go back to to original post. You had the right idea then.

But it's the same thing, the original equation is a simplified version of the second one, but I'll try it and see if there's a difference in my answer.

Hmmm, that's weird
I got 6.98 m/s^2 now

or actually -6.98m/s^2

I did it again with the second equation (I accidentally left the minus out in the front) and got -6.72 m/s^2, why is it different?

a = - g[Sin(25) + u(k)Cos(25)] = -6.98 m/s^2
a= [-Fwsin(25)-usFncos(25)]/1.6 = -6.72 m/s^2

Last edited:
MitsuShai said:
Hmmm, that's weird
I got 6.98 m/s^2 now

or actually -6.98m/s^2

I did it again with the second equation (I accidentally left the minus out in the front) and got -6.72 m/s^2, why is it different?

a = - g[Sin(25) + u(k)Cos(25)] = -6.98 m/s^2
That looks good. There you go. :approve:.
a= [-Fwsin(25)-usFncos(25)]/1.6 = -6.72 m/s^2
Well, I'm not really sure what to think of that. It looks like you have the normal force Fn in the second term, but the normal force already has the cos25 built into it. So your equation is accounting for the cos25 twice. You also seem to have the static coefficient of friction μs, tacked on, but you should be using the kinetic coefficient, not the static. So it looks to me like there are a couple of things wrong with the equation.

collinsmark said:
That looks good. There you go. :approve:.

Well, I'm not really sure what to think of that. It looks like you have the normal force Fn in the second term, but the normal force already has the cos25 built into it. So your equation is accounting for the cos25 twice. You also seem to have the static coefficient of friction μs, tacked on, but you should be using the kinetic coefficient, not the static. So it looks to me like there are a couple of things wrong with the equation.

oh that was a very dumb mistake
thanks for you help!

FAQ: Forces on an Incline: Solving & Sliding

1. What is a force on an incline?

A force on an incline refers to the force that is exerted on an object that is resting or moving on an inclined surface. This force can be either parallel or perpendicular to the surface of the incline and is affected by the angle of the incline.

2. How do you calculate the force on an incline?

The force on an incline can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What is the difference between solving and sliding on an incline?

Solving on an incline refers to finding the force or acceleration of an object on an incline, while sliding on an incline refers to the actual motion of the object down the incline. Solving involves using equations and calculations, while sliding is a physical phenomenon.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the force and motion?

The angle of the incline affects the force and motion in two ways. First, as the angle increases, so does the force required to keep the object from sliding down the incline. Second, as the angle increases, the object will accelerate down the incline at a faster rate.

5. What are some real-life examples of forces on an incline?

Some real-life examples of forces on an incline include a car driving up or down a hill, a person skiing down a slope, or an object sliding down a ramp. In all of these situations, gravity and the angle of the incline play a role in the forces involved.

Back