Forces on inclined plane question

In summary: I had a question if how I solved this is correct. I got the right answer and I wanted to make sure this was not luck. I know that we can use kinematic equations here but I tried something else...here is what I did.You are doing the right thing. When solving equations, make sure to use the correct form of the equation. The equation you are using is an equation of motion, not a balance equation. To solve an equation of motion, use the following equation:v(t) = -F(t)3. So we know that v=(d/t) we know d = 10m and
Jake14
1. An object of mass m = 1 kg is initially placed on a frictionless plane, inclined by an angle θ = 30o as indicated below. How long does it take the mass to move the distance of 10 m down the incline?2. I had a question if how I solved this is correct. I got the right answer and I wanted to make sure this was not luck. I know that we can use kinematic equations here but I tried something else...here is what I did.3. So we know that v=(d/t) we know d = 10m and we are solving for t, so we just need v. I know the F = ma
and I know the mass and the force on the block. The force is the x-component of the gravitational force, so Fx = mgsinθ so we can write
mgsinθ = ma and we know that a = (dv/dt) so mgsinθ = m*(dv/dt) so let's divide by m and move the dt to the left side so we get
dv = gsinθ dt. Let's integrate this so v = gsinθ*t plug this in for v in the v = (d/t) equation so
t^2*g*sinθ = d
you can now solve for t and I got an answer close to the multiple choice answer. Is this correct how I solved for velocity?

-jake

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
V=d/t only works for constant velocity, or if what you are after is average velocity.
The answer you got from your last equation should be wrong, only about 2/3 of the correct answer.
Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations? These apply for constant acceleration.

Jake14 said:
1. An object of mass m = 1 kg is initially placed on a frictionless plane, inclined by an angle θ = 30o as indicated below. How long does it take the mass to move the distance of 10 m down the incline?
I am not sure what is so difficult about this question, just find the component of the gravitational force that does work by trigonometry and use this equation to find out the time taken:

a = F_ge / 1kg (where F_ge is the effective acceleration)
(a*t^2)/2 = 10m where t is the total time required

Related to Forces on inclined plane question

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface that is raised at an angle. It allows for objects to be moved up or down with less force than if they were moved straight up or down.

2. How does an inclined plane affect force?

An inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to move an object up or down by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This is known as mechanical advantage.

3. What is the formula for calculating forces on an inclined plane?

The formula is: Force = Mass x Acceleration. However, on an inclined plane, the force of gravity is split into two components: the force acting parallel to the plane (known as the weight component) and the force acting perpendicular to the plane (known as the normal force).

4. How can the angle of the inclined plane affect the forces?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the weight component of the force, and the smaller the normal force. This means more force is needed to move an object up the steeper inclined plane compared to a less steep one.

5. How can an inclined plane be used in everyday life?

Inclined planes are used in many everyday objects, such as ramps for wheelchairs and cars, slides, and stairs. They also play a crucial role in machines such as escalators, conveyor belts, and even simple tools like screwdrivers and wedges.