Formalism and Angular Momentum Expectation Values

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of <L_{x}> using bra-ket formalism. The process involves using the eigenvalue equations for L^{2}, L_z, and L_{\stackrel{+}{-}} for the state |\ell,m> and then finding <\ell,m|L_x|\ell,m> using the fact that L_x = (1/2)(L_+ + L_-). The next step is to algebraically solve for the result, which is given by <l,m|L_+|l,m> +<l,m|L_-|l,m>. The conversation ends with a reminder to ask homework-related questions in the appropriate section.
brooke1525
I seem to be having a rather difficult time understand all the details of the notation used in this quantum material. If I'm given the eigenvalue equations for L[tex]^{2}[/tex] and [tex]L_z[/tex] and [tex]L_{\stackrel{+}{-}}[/tex] for the state |[tex]\ell[/tex],m>, how do I compute <[tex]L_{x}[/tex]> using bra-ket formalism? I know that [tex]L_x[/tex] = (1/2)([tex]L_+[/tex] + [tex]L_-[/tex]).

What I've got so far:

Need to compute <[tex]\ell[/tex],m|[tex]L_x[/tex]|[tex]\ell[/tex],m>.

= (1/2)(<[tex]\ell[/tex],m)([tex]L_+[/tex] + [tex]L_-[/tex])([tex]\ell[/tex],m>)

=?

Algebraically, what's the next step?

Thanks in advance,
AB

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](1/2)\cdot (<l,m|L_+|l,m> +<l,m|L_-|l,m> ) = [/tex]

the result should be pretty obious ;-)

Anyway, this is general:

Suppose we have, two operators A and B:

<psi_i|(A+B)|psi_j> = <psi_i|A|psi_j> + <psi_i|B|psi_j>

Next time you have homework related questions, ask them in the homework section.

I understand your struggle with the notation and concepts used in quantum mechanics. Let me try to provide a response that will help clarify the steps needed to compute <L_{x}> using bra-ket formalism.

First, we need to understand that the notation <\ell,m| represents the bra vector, while |\ell,m> represents the ket vector. These are simply different representations of the same vector in a bra-ket notation. In this case, the state |\ell,m> represents the state with angular momentum L_{z} and its eigenvalue m.

Next, we need to use the fact that L_{x} = (1/2)(L_{+} + L_{-}). This means that we can rewrite the expression <L_{x}> as:

<L_{x}> = (1/2)(<\ell,m|L_{+}|\ell,m> + <\ell,m|L_{-}|\ell,m>)

Now, we can use the eigenvalue equations for L^{2} and L_{z} to simplify the expressions for L_{+} and L_{-}. Recall that L_{+} = L_{x} + iL_{y} and L_{-} = L_{x} - iL_{y}. Using these equations, we can rewrite the expression for <L_{x}> as:

<L_{x}> = (1/2)(<\ell,m|L_{x} + iL_{y}|\ell,m> + <\ell,m|L_{x} - iL_{y}|\ell,m>)

From here, we can use the properties of the bra-ket notation to simplify the expressions further. Specifically, we can use the fact that <\ell,m|L_{x}|\ell,m> = \ell(\ell+1)<\ell,m|\ell,m> and <\ell,m|L_{y}|\ell,m> = -i\ell(\ell+1)<\ell,m|\ell,m>. This allows us to rewrite the expression for <L_{x}> as:

<L_{x}> = (1/2)(\ell(\ell+1)<\ell,m|\ell,m> + i\ell(\ell+1)<\ell,m|\ell,m> - i\ell(\ell+1)<\ell,m|\ell,m> + \ell(\ell+1)<\ell

FAQ: Formalism and Angular Momentum Expectation Values

1. What is formalism in quantum mechanics?

Formalism in quantum mechanics refers to the mathematical framework used to describe and analyze the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It involves using complex numbers and operators to represent physical quantities and their evolution over time.

2. How is angular momentum defined in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is a property of particles that describes their rotational motion. It is defined as the product of the particle's mass, its velocity, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the significance of angular momentum expectation values?

Angular momentum expectation values represent the average value of an observable quantity (such as angular momentum) in a quantum mechanical system. They provide insight into the behavior of particles and can be used to make predictions about their future states.

4. How are angular momentum expectation values calculated?

To calculate the angular momentum expectation value, one must first determine the wave function of the particle in question. Then, the expectation value can be found by taking the integral of the wave function multiplied by the angular momentum operator over all space.

5. What are some real-world applications of formalism and angular momentum expectation values?

Formalism and angular momentum expectation values have many practical applications, including in quantum computing, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, and the design of electronic devices. They are also important for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other small particles in various physical and chemical processes.