Free expansion of a Van der Waal's Gas

In summary, the problem involves two vessels of equal volume connected by a stopper, one containing "N_a" moles of gas and the other containing "N_b" moles of gas. The task is to find an expression for the change in temperature when the stopper is opened and the system reaches a new equilibrium state. The equation u = C_vT - a/v + const is provided, and the attempt at a solution involves using dt/dv = (du/dv) / (du/dt) where the denominator is Cv. However, this only results in -a/v^2 * 1/C_v. The desired answer is (2n_an_b - n^2_a - n^2_b)*a
mathman44

Homework Statement

There are two vessels connected by a stopper. Both have the same volume. One has "N_a" moles of gas, the other "N_b". Find the expression for the change in temperature when the stopper is opened and the system is allowed to come to a new equilibrium state.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm supposed to use this equation: [tex] u = C_vT - a/v + const[/tex]

I tried doing this: [tex]dt/dv = (du/dv) / (du/dt)[/tex] were the denominator is just Cv, but that just gave me:

[tex]-a/v^2 * 1/C_v[/tex]

The answer is supposed to look like:

[tex](2n_an_b - n^2_a - n^2_b)*a/(c_v*2V[n_a + n_b])[/tex]

How do I get the # of moles into this expression? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help please?

I am having trouble with this too :S

Related to Free expansion of a Van der Waal's Gas

1. What is free expansion of a Van der Waal's gas?

Free expansion of a Van der Waal's gas is a process where a gas expands freely without any external work or heat being exchanged with the surroundings. This means that the gas expands into a larger volume, but its internal energy and temperature remain constant.

2. How is free expansion different from other types of expansion?

Free expansion is different from other types of expansion, such as isothermal or adiabatic expansion, because it does not involve any exchange of heat or work with the surroundings. In free expansion, the gas expands into a vacuum and there is no change in its internal energy or temperature.

3. What are the factors that affect free expansion of a Van der Waal's gas?

The factors that affect free expansion of a Van der Waal's gas include the initial volume and pressure of the gas, the final volume and pressure of the gas, and the number of moles of gas present. These factors determine the amount of work done and change in internal energy during the expansion process.

4. Can a Van der Waal's gas undergo free expansion at any temperature?

Yes, a Van der Waal's gas can undergo free expansion at any temperature. The temperature does not affect the work done or change in internal energy during free expansion, as long as the gas remains in the gaseous state.

5. What are some real-life examples of free expansion of a Van der Waal's gas?

One example of free expansion of a Van der Waal's gas is when a tire is punctured and the air inside rapidly expands into the atmosphere. Another example is the expansion of a balloon when it is released after being inflated. Both of these processes involve a gas expanding into a vacuum without any external work or heat being exchanged.