Fumes from heating a plastic Sterilite container?

theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
Do I need to worry about inhaling or ingesting fumes from a Sterilite container heated to 150F?
Howdy folks.
I have a couple spares of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAL6MND/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and I was thinking about repurposing one as a food dehydrator. Do I need to worry about fumes?

IIRC the max temp is 150F.

Will one of these help?

https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Purifier-Battery-Activated-Printer(Pack/dp/B095BTW744/ref=asc_df_B095BTW744/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647308226327&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5989182475171002304&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003563&hvtargid=pla-1409880341191&gclid=CjwKCAjw7c2pBhAZEiwA88pOF0ClVKKpPasTkbNZ-oSUCWjycF_t73OD0YIkvWzJ6G5UTCnQq8Y1CRoChrwQAvD_BwE&th=1

There's plenty of room even if I wanted to use two or even 4 purifiers.

Thanks so much

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, worry. You should avoid the fumes.
If the polymer is not rated to 150F, the fumes will include the plasticizer, isomer, and breakdown products from the polymer.

theycallmevirgo said:
...repurposing one as a food dehydrator.
Rule of thumb: if it's about food, then stick to food (grade/rated).
The linked product is '‎Clothes Storage'.

Likes berkeman
Sterilite is a business name and registered trademark. It is not a type of polymer.
Sterilite admits that the material is "BPA-free and phthalate-free".
What material identification information is included with the product ?

Related to Fumes from heating a plastic Sterilite container?

What chemicals are released when heating a plastic Sterilite container?

When a plastic Sterilite container is heated, it can release various chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), phthalates, and potentially harmful substances like bisphenol A (BPA) if the plastic contains these additives. The exact chemicals released depend on the type of plastic used in the container.

Are the fumes from heating a Sterilite container toxic?

Yes, the fumes from heating a Sterilite container can be toxic. Inhaling these fumes can cause respiratory irritation, headaches, dizziness, and other health issues. Long-term exposure to certain chemicals released from heated plastics may have more severe health effects.

Can heating a Sterilite container cause it to melt or deform?

Yes, heating a Sterilite container can cause it to melt or deform. Most Sterilite containers are made from polypropylene or polyethylene, which have relatively low melting points. Exposure to high temperatures can cause these plastics to warp, melt, or release harmful fumes.

Is it safe to use a Sterilite container in the microwave or oven?

No, it is generally not safe to use a Sterilite container in the microwave or oven unless it is explicitly labeled as microwave-safe. Even then, it's important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines to prevent overheating and the release of harmful chemicals.

What should I do if I accidentally heat a Sterilite container and it releases fumes?

If you accidentally heat a Sterilite container and it releases fumes, immediately ventilate the area by opening windows and using fans. Leave the area to avoid inhaling the fumes and dispose of the damaged container properly. If you experience any adverse health effects, seek medical attention promptly.

Back