Function Patterns Homework Help

In summary: The numbers in the right column are fractions. The fraction in the bottom left corner is 9/10. The fraction in the bottom right corner is 1/10.In summary, the function pattern is a way to find a fraction by finding all of the previous values.
hammonjj

Homework Statement

So I'm taking a class that's purpose is to go over, in great detail, the concepts that secondary students learn. It's intended to prepare teachers for the material they will have to teach.

Unfortunately, we are working on something called "Function Patterns" and I have no clue what they are. I've Googled this thing until I hit the end of the internet and am still lost. I'm sure this is super simple, but I have no idea what he is talking about.

I've included a picture of the whole page, so I don't miss showing anything!

http://imgur.com/uwk71

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
hammonjj said:

Homework Statement

So I'm taking a class that's purpose is to go over, in great detail, the concepts that secondary students learn. It's intended to prepare teachers for the material they will have to teach.

Unfortunately, we are working on something called "Function Patterns" and I have no clue what they are. I've Googled this thing until I hit the end of the internet and am still lost. I'm sure this is super simple, but I have no idea what he is talking about.

I've included a picture of the whole page, so I don't miss showing anything!

http://imgur.com/uwk71

Thanks in advance!
I don't think the term "function pattern" is in common usage, but the idea is to recognize patterns in the function values. In this problem you're supposed to recognize that each time you increase the t value by 2 (hours), you halve the previous value of M(t). As stated in the problem, the half-life of the tracking substance is about 2 hours.

Mark44 said:
I don't think the term "function pattern" is in common usage, but the idea is to recognize patterns in the function values. In this problem you're supposed to recognize that each time you increase the t value by 2 (hours), you halve the previous value of M(t). As stated in the problem, the half-life of the tracking substance is about 2 hours.

I guess I'm still confused them, question C asks why you can't use this "pattern" to to find M(21), but you clearly can. It's tedious, but you just have to find all of the previous values.

Thoughts?

hammonjj said:
I guess I'm still confused them, question C asks why you can't use this "pattern" to to find M(21), but you clearly can. It's tedious, but you just have to find all of the previous values.

Thoughts?

Numbers on the left column are integers.

Related to Function Patterns Homework Help

What is a function pattern?

A function pattern is a set of ordered pairs or points that follow a specific rule or relationship. It can be represented in various forms such as tables, graphs, equations, or words.

How do function patterns help in solving problems?

Function patterns help in solving problems by providing a visual representation of the relationship between two variables. It allows for easier identification of patterns and trends, making it easier to predict future values or fill in missing values.

What are the common types of function patterns?

The common types of function patterns include linear, quadratic, exponential, and periodic patterns. Linear patterns have a constant rate of change, quadratic patterns have a parabolic shape, exponential patterns have a constant ratio between values, and periodic patterns repeat in a regular cycle.

How can I identify a function pattern?

To identify a function pattern, you can look for a consistent relationship between the input and output values. You can also create a table or graph to see if there is a pattern or trend. If there is a consistent rule or equation that relates the input and output values, it is most likely a function pattern.

Can function patterns be used in real-life situations?

Yes, function patterns can be used in real-life situations such as predicting population growth, analyzing stock market trends, or calculating loan interest rates. They can also be used in fields like physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.