Gamma electron coupled simulation

Salman Khan
I am interested to simulate a problem in mcnp6, in which gamma rays (energy let say 10 Mev) incident on a aluminum disk and produce electron spectrum which further move in a gas (e.g co2)cell to produce chernkove radiation. Here gamma produce electron and electron further produce chernekov, in order to see chernkove photon mode p e only works?, or if I will get electron spectrum I will take it as input source and re simulate it to see chernkove light? Please guide thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Salman,

The gas part confuses me a bit. To get Cerenkov (I also thought his name was spelled with an h) radiation the charged particle must travel faster than light through the medium. A trick, for those that don't know, that is possible because the speed of light through a transparent object is c/n where n is the refractive index. Unless the gas is under high pressure, the energy and implied refractive index seem a bit low.

Reading the manual, because I'm not familiar with the versions that transport visible light, mode p e should work but you need a PHYS:e card to turn on Cerenkov. Something like
Code:
PHYS : e 100 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 J 0.917 0.001 0.01
to use low numbers of Cerenkov photons with higher weight as recommended. This is for version 6.3 of the code and you should check the right manual for your version of the code, this command typically changes between versions.

Good luck and please let us know how well this works!

Likes Astronuc and Salman Khan
Thanks Alex

Likes Alex A
Back