General question about a derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for velocity in rotational motion, which states that v= ωr. The question arises about how this formula can be derived or justified, and why the equation v_B= ω_B|A r_A is used in solving for the angular velocity of a wheel rotating about a fixed axis. The book does not provide a derivation or reasoning for this equation, but it is implied in order to simplify the math. Changing the vector equation to one that deals only in magnitudes results in the equation used in the book.
wolfmanzak
I just have a question of "why/how?" I know that for instance [tex]\mathbf v=\omega \hat k \times \mathbf r[/tex] where [tex]\mathbf v[/tex] is my vector for velocity, [tex]\omega[/tex] is my angular velocity and [tex]\mathbf r[/tex] is my position vector from a point on the axis of rotation of a wheel to a point on the outer edge of the wheel. I also know that [tex] v= \omega r[/tex]

But I'd like to understand how it's possible to derive/justify the following from what I have above or if there is another means by which this justification is made. I'm just trying to understand a formula.

[tex] v_{B}= \omega_{B|A} r_{A}[/tex]

This question came up because I saw the final formula at the bottom used in part to solve for the angular velocity of a wheel rotating about a fixed axis where point "A" was at the center of the wheel and point "B" was along the wheel's edge. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why this equation was used, as I don't see any derivation or reasoning for it in text that I'm using and I wouldn't necessarily have thought to use it like shown if I were solving a similar problem. Any explanation as to why/how or what prompted the book to use the equation in this way would really help my understanding of the topic. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Change your vector equation to one that deals only in magnitudes and you'll get the one at the bottom.
The book is not making a definition and leaves some details implicit in order to make the math easier.

FAQ: General question about a derivation

1. What is a derivation in science?

A derivation in science is a systematic process of reasoning that is used to explain and understand a phenomenon or concept. It involves starting from a known set of principles or assumptions and using logical steps to arrive at a conclusion.

2. Why is deriving important in scientific research?

Deriving is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses based on existing knowledge. By using a systematic approach, they can determine the cause and effect of certain phenomena and further our understanding of the natural world.

3. How is a derivation different from an experiment?

A derivation is different from an experiment in that it relies on logical reasoning and existing knowledge, while an experiment involves actively testing a hypothesis through observation and data collection. Derivations are often used to support or explain the results of experiments.

4. Can a derivation be wrong?

Yes, a derivation can be wrong if the initial assumptions or principles used are incorrect or if there are errors in the logical steps. It is important for scientists to carefully evaluate and validate their derivations to ensure their conclusions are accurate.

5. Are there different types of derivations?

Yes, there are different types of derivations in science, such as mathematical, theoretical, and conceptual derivations. Mathematical derivations involve using mathematical equations and formulas to explain a phenomenon. Theoretical derivations involve developing a theoretical framework or model to explain a concept. Conceptual derivations involve using conceptual reasoning to understand a phenomenon or concept.

Back