General World Cup and in-game discussion

In summary: Chile.Wales reached the quarter-finals in 1958, the only time they qualified.Scotland have qualified 8 times since 1954, but never got past the first round.Northern Ireland have qualified 3 times, and also reached the quarter finals in 1958. (They also held the record of the least populous country to qualify, until Trinidad and Tobago qualified in 2006).
Belgium - USA 2-1. It's not over yet! USA never gives up! :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
And now USA is playing very well! Go for it!

Sorry, USA :frown:. But USA put up a good fight against a difficult opponent that played well (Belgium), kudos to the US team who never gave up, even if they were tired.

What a game - I think Belgium deserved the win, but the US put up a great performance.. and could have won it at the death!

I think 3:1 would better reflect what was going on, still, great game.

My heart is broken into a million little pieces.

Matterwave said:

I'm sorry :frown:

Matterwave said:

Try being an England fan... but seriously, remember these losses because it makes the winning, in the future, even more sweet.

cristo said:
Try being an England fan...

Say that to any Pole.

Borek said:
Say that to any Pole.
Or Swede...

We could have won that at 90+2:30. No extra time, no finally finding the hole by Belgium. Oh well. Next time.

cristo said:
but seriously, remember these losses...
And if history repeats itself too often,
“It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.
-- John Cleese.

D H said:
We could have won that at 90+2:30. No extra time, no finally finding the hole by Belgium. Oh well. Next time.

You really could have! Tim Howard kept you in the game, but that was a shocking miss from 8 yards. Still, for the neutral, it was a cracking game to watch!

I don't get the "soccer is boring. It's such a low scoring game!" mindset. That was an exciting game. Every one of the round of 16 games has been exciting. Not one lopsided game. Four games with a one point difference. Two ties that went into kicks from the mark. I'm not thrilled with kicks from the mark, but that it got to that point means the game was so close.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The wondo miss was really really bad. We had it.

The wound is still fresh...don't keep reminding me of this...T_T

Last edited by a moderator:
Could have lost by much more if not for howard's great job.

D H said:

To be just, Belgians could have it around 20 times earlier. Howard was incredible.

I think it is a 3rd or 4th match in the last few days when it is a goalkeeper that makes the game for his team.

Something to watch while waiting for the next round:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_8EjoxY7Q

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.playsoft.soccerbite.

Borek said:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.playsoft.soccerbite.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, how you produce a hit.

I guess the advice of not shopping when hungry extends to playing soccer...

What? No soccer talkin' yet today?

We're in for a couple of - hopefully - wonderful days, with quarter-finals, semi-finals and final!
Ain't life sweet? Upcoming matches are:

Today, 4th July:
Brazil - Colombia
- Colombia has been really good IMO, may very well be tough for Brazil to beat.

France - Germany
- Two top teams will be battling it out.

Tomorrow, 5 July:
Netherlands - Costa Rica
- Who knows what will happen during this match? Costa Rican surprises? Dutch acrobatics?

Argentina - Belgium
- Two more top teams will be battling it out.

I can't wait to see what will happen... :smile:

Can't wait for the matches?
Or do you need to train? :-p

You could try Goalkeeper Premier
(free, simple, pretty fun online game, use mouse to control goalie)

or Penalty World Cup Brazil
(another free, simple small online game, use space to control kick direction, swerve and pitch)
EDIT: I just won the final on this, got 5900 points, try to beat it if you can...:biggrin:

Last edited:
Ok, France and Germany will be exciting, but it will be very interesting too see Colombia later.
Personally I hoped for Italy, but they are so very out of this cup.
So, I have to have a new team to hope for, so I hope for...
...Colombia!

Colombia have performed impressively during the tournament; if I have the correct stats, they have a shocking 11-2 in goal difference (11 goals scored, 2 goals against). And they looked quite confident in the last game. Add a Brazil that might be nervous, and we're in for a really nice game!
I say go Colombia! :smile::thumbs:

...and now it's France against Germany!

Gosh, Germany is playing well...
EDIT: ...and now France is getting into the game too...

Last edited:
I watched the first half of Germany-France and the whole Brazil-Columbia...I have to say Brazil played quite well. David Luis's free kick goal was amazing. Sadly, they have to play without Silva and probably Neymar against Germany...

DennisN said:
Ok, France and Germany will be exciting, but it will be very interesting too see Colombia later.
Personally I hoped for Italy, but they are so very out of this cup.
So, I have to have a new team to hope for, so I hope for...
...Colombia!

Colombia have performed impressively during the tournament; if I have the correct stats, they have a shocking 11-2 in goal difference (11 goals scored, 2 goals against). And they looked quite confident in the last game. Add a Brazil that might be nervous, and we're in for a really nice game!
I say go Colombia! :smile::thumbs:

...and now it's France against Germany!

DennisN: Maybe you can join me in my campaign to spread the use of Colombia the country, not Columbia. There was a campaign to this effect a while back, and I am still buzzed about it. I can't see another spelling of Colombia as 'Columbia' without getting agitated. Maybe I hav etoo much free time.

Last edited:
Costa Rica... :bugeye: :smile:

EDIT:
Netherlands - Costa Rica 0 - 0 after full time + extra time... wow.
Soon there will be penalties!

EDIT 2:
Regretfully I did not see Argentina-Belgium today, and I did not see most of the Netherlands-Costa Rica match. But I thoroughly enjoyed Brazil-Colombia yesterday - it was one of the most (perhaps THE most) exciting matches I have ever seen. It was soccer at the absolute top level - both Brazil and Colombia displayed absolute top notch quality. And the free kick goal by Brazil's Luiz was very beautiful.

Last edited:
Making that goalkeeper sub right before penalties made the dutch look so cool.

another game saved by the goalie.

Netherlands finally win on penalties. But big kudos to Costa Rica! It is a great achievement by this small country to have reached so far in the cup.

PhysicsGente said:
Making that goalkeeper sub right before penalties made the dutch look so cool.

And it worked! Dutch deserved it.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Wednesday against Argentina! :D

WWGD said:

haha ... and he was trash talking the ticos shooting the penalties; it was great.

Back