Get Help with 2 Questions: Solar Water Heater & Air Pressure | Expert Tips

• Thread starter ABR124
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to physics and asks for help with finding the correct equations to solve them. The first problem involves calculating the daily cost of electricity for a solar water heater that utilizes a pump to lift 400 liters of water through a 7.0 meter vertical displacement. The second problem involves calculating the pressure exerted by air on the base of a column with a 1.0 square meter area and a container volume of 100 liters. The conversation also mentions the acceleration due to gravity, the density of water, and the density of air under standard conditions. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to approach these problems.
ABR124
Hi

I am stuck on two questions here not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post it in, sorry in advance if it isn't. Ok the questions, my problem is that I'm not sure on the equation to use to solve these problems first problem is

A solar water heater utilizes a pump to lift 400 L of cold water per day through a vertical displacement of 7.0 meters. What is the daily cost of electricity, if the rate is set to be $0.065/kWh? Acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/s2 and the density of water is 0.996 g/L.

second problem
Calculate the pressure exerted by the air to the base of the column (area is 1.0 m2). The density of air can be taken a 1.3 kg/m3 and the volume of the container is 100L. Assume ideal gas behaviour and standard conditions (atmospheric pressure and 25 degrees C)

Ok I don't really know where to start with these problems and I'm not looking for the solution to these problems just maybe someone to help me on the right track or maybe to provide me with the equations to do these problems. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint to start you on first problem: how much work do you do on 1 liter of water lifting it that height?

I would be happy to help you with these questions. Let's start with the first problem about the solar water heater. To solve this problem, we need to use the equation P = mgh, where P is the power, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or vertical displacement. In this case, we are given the values for m (400 L), g (9.81 m/s2), and h (7.0 meters). We also know that the rate of electricity is $0.065/kWh. To find the daily cost of electricity, we need to first convert the volume of water from liters to kilograms. This can be done by using the density of water, which is 0.996 g/L. Therefore, 400 L of water would be equivalent to 400 kg. Plugging these values into the equation, we get P = (400 kg)(9.81 m/s2)(7.0 meters) = 27,384 J. To convert this to kWh, we divide by 3,600,000 (the number of joules in 1 kWh) and then multiply by the rate of electricity, which gives us a daily cost of $0.065(27,384 J/3,600,000 J) = $0.000495. Therefore, the daily cost of electricity for the solar water heater is $0.000495.

For the second problem, we need to use the ideal gas law, which is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. In this case, we are given the values for V (100 L), the density of air (1.3 kg/m3), and the temperature (25 degrees C or 298 K). We can assume that the number of moles (n) is 1, as we are dealing with a volume of 100 L. We also know that the area of the base is 1.0 m2, so we can use this to find the height (h) of the column of air. Using the formula for volume of a cylinder (V = πr2h), we can rearrange it to solve for h, which gives us h = V/πr2 = (100 L)/(π(0.5 m)2) =

Related to Get Help with 2 Questions: Solar Water Heater & Air Pressure | Expert Tips

1. What is the purpose of "Help with 2 questions"?

The purpose of "Help with 2 questions" is to provide assistance to individuals who have questions or need clarification on two specific topics or problems.

2. Who can use "Help with 2 questions"?

Anyone can use "Help with 2 questions" as long as they have internet access and a device to access the platform. It is open to students, professionals, and individuals from all backgrounds.

3. How can I receive help with my questions?

To receive help with your questions, you can either post your questions on the platform and wait for responses from other users, or you can search for similar questions and answers that have already been posted.

4. Is "Help with 2 questions" free to use?

Yes, "Help with 2 questions" is a free platform for users to seek and provide assistance. There are no fees or subscriptions required to use the platform.

5. Can I trust the answers provided on "Help with 2 questions"?

The accuracy and reliability of answers on "Help with 2 questions" vary depending on the users providing them. It is always recommended to do further research and verify the information before using it for important purposes.