Good High-School Level Text for Probability and Statistics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of teaching a probability and statistics course at a high school level, with one person recommending the book "Probability" by Jim Pitman and another suggesting "Introduction to the Practice of Statistics" by Moore, McCabe, and Craig. The discussion also touches on the difficulty level and suitability of the book for different types of students and courses.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
I'm contemplating the possibility of teaching either a regular probability and statistics course or maybe even the AP Stats course at my high school next year. However, I only took the first semester in statistics at the junior level in college (used multivariable calculus); that means I got some probability, but no real statistics. So I'd be starting more or less from scratch. I am quite capable of teaching myself from a typical textbook. So if you have spent time in examining multiple textbooks yourself, which one would you recommend?

ADDENDUM: This book should not be calculus-based.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ackbach said:
I'm contemplating the possibility of teaching either a regular probability and statistics course or maybe even the AP Stats course at my high school next year. However, I only took the first semester in statistics at the junior level in college (used multivariable calculus); that means I got some probability, but no real statistics. So I'd be starting more or less from scratch. I am quite capable of teaching myself from a typical textbook. So if you have spent time in examining multiple textbooks yourself, which one would you recommend?
I really like Probability by Jim Pitman.

I have tutored a number of psychology students in statistics from different universities.
Obviously math was not their strong suit, which is why they came to me.
They came with various books.
There was (only) 1 book that I recommend: Introduction to the Practice of Statistics by Moore, McCabe, and Craig.
Its prerequisite is high school math.

It may well help you to brush up your statistics.
It would be over the top for regular high school statistics, but may fit AP.
I learned quite a bit from it myself while tutoring.

It contains roughly:
  • the axioms of probability,
  • the descriptives of statistics,
  • hypothesis testing,
  • z-tests, t-tests, F-tests, chi-2 tests
  • linear/multiple regression
  • ANOVA

Last edited:
Plato said:
I really like Probability by Jim Pitman.

I was thinking non-calculus-based. I'm not at a magnet school where freshmen are taking calculus. Do you have a suggestion for non-calc-based statistics?

Ackbach said:
I was thinking non-calculus-based. I'm not at a magnet school where freshmen are taking calculus. Do you have a suggestion for non-calc-based statistics?

Sorry, but I misunderstood what you meant. I thought that you wanted to self-study.
I agree that text is not suited for high school or even AP course.

Plato said:
Sorry, but I misunderstood what you meant. I thought that you wanted to self-study.
I agree that text is not suited for high school or even AP course.

Sorry about the unclear wording on my part. What I meant was that I would need to self-study whatever book I use to teach the class, since it's been so long.

Did you find a good textbook? I'm in a similar situation. Looking for a good textbook to teach high school prob. & stats. courses from low end to high end students.

McDerm said:
Did you find a good textbook? I'm in a similar situation. Looking for a good textbook to teach high school prob. & stats. courses from low end to high end students.

It's not looking terrific for me to teach stats next year (insufficient number of teachers and students, combined with a competition for a College Algebra course). However, it might happen the year after. If so, I'm thinking I would just go with Introduction to the Practice of Statistics, by Moore and McCabe (and Craig?).

Ackbach said:
It's not looking terrific for me to teach stats next year (insufficient number of teachers and students, combined with a competition for a College Algebra course). However, it might happen the year after. If so, I'm thinking I would just go with Introduction to the Practice of Statistics, by Moore and McCabe (and Craig?).

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Related to Good High-School Level Text for Probability and Statistics

What is the importance of teaching probability and statistics at the high school level?

Teaching probability and statistics at the high school level is important because it equips students with essential critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are necessary for their future academic and professional endeavors. Additionally, understanding probability and statistics is crucial for making informed decisions in everyday life, such as interpreting data and making predictions.

What are the key concepts that should be covered in a good high school level text for probability and statistics?

A good high school level text for probability and statistics should cover key concepts such as basic probability, descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, data analysis, and probability distributions. It should also include real-world examples and applications to help students understand how these concepts are relevant in their lives.

How can a good high school level text for probability and statistics engage and challenge students?

A good high school level text for probability and statistics can engage and challenge students by incorporating interactive activities, real-world scenarios, and challenging problems that require critical thinking and application of concepts. It should also provide opportunities for students to work collaboratively and communicate their findings and conclusions.

What are the benefits of using technology in teaching probability and statistics at the high school level?

Using technology in teaching probability and statistics at the high school level can enhance students' understanding and engagement with the subject. Technology tools, such as statistical software and simulations, can help students visualize and analyze data, making it easier for them to grasp complex concepts. It also prepares them for using technology in higher education and their future careers.

What are some strategies for effectively teaching probability and statistics to high school students?

Some strategies for effectively teaching probability and statistics to high school students include using real-life examples and applications, incorporating hands-on activities and projects, providing opportunities for peer collaboration and discussion, and using formative assessments to monitor student progress and adjust instruction accordingly. It is also essential to create a positive and inclusive learning environment that encourages students to ask questions and explore the subject further.