Gull shell acceleration physics problem

In summary, the glaucous-winged gull drops a shell at a height of 13.5m while ascending at a speed of 5.40 m/s. To find the magnitude of the shell's acceleration just after it is released, we can use Newton's second law and consider the forces acting upon the shell, including the Earth's gravity and the gull's acceleration. By finding the time it takes for the shell to reach 13.5m, we can then calculate its acceleration.
wadini
A glaucous-winged gull, ascending straight upward at 5.40 m/s , drops a shell when it is 13.5m above the ground. What is the magnitude of the shell's acceleration just after it is released?

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you know about the Earth's gravity and how it acts upon objects in free fall (which this scenario is even though it may not immediately seem like it is)?

Welcome to PF!

Hi wadini! Welcome to PF! :smile:

When in doubt, always use good ol' Newton's second law …

in this case, ask yourself what forces there are on the shell just after it is released …

and so what is the acceleration? :wink:

okay I tried finding the time by doing

x=1/2*g*t^2
so -13.5 m/s= 1/2(-9.81)t^2
and I got t= 1.658
and then I plugged that into 1/2(a)(1.658)^2
and got acceleration from that but that is not the correct answer... am I right for finding time? Is there an equation to find acceleration without time ?

At 5.40 meters/second, how long will it take to get to 13.5 meters? Look at the units to see what operation you need to do to get seconds.

Oh! so I have to cancel out the meters and once I do that I get 5.40 m's/13.5m and then t=.4 so do I just plug that into the equation 13.5 m/s = .5*a*(.4^2) ?

The formula [itex]v=0.5 a t^2[/itex] does not exist. You're also complicating things. The gull is ascending with 5.40 m/s so what is the accelerating the shell experiences from the gull? What is the force? Which other force acts upon the shell?

FAQ: Gull shell acceleration physics problem

1. What is the gull shell acceleration physics problem?

The gull shell acceleration physics problem is a hypothetical scenario in which a gull drops a shell from a certain height and the shell accelerates towards the ground under the influence of gravity. The problem aims to calculate the velocity and acceleration of the shell at different points in time.

2. How is this problem relevant to physics?

This problem is relevant to physics as it demonstrates the principles of motion and gravity. By solving this problem, we can understand how objects move and accelerate under the influence of gravity, which is a fundamental concept in physics.

3. What are the key equations used to solve this problem?

The key equations used to solve the gull shell acceleration physics problem include the equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, and the equation for acceleration due to gravity (g = 9.8 m/s^2). In addition, the principle of conservation of energy can also be applied to solve this problem.

4. How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved using mathematical calculations and equations, particularly the equations of motion and the principle of conservation of energy. The problem can be broken down into smaller parts, such as calculating the initial and final velocities and the time taken for the shell to reach the ground, and then combined to find the overall solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of this problem?

The gull shell acceleration physics problem has various real-world applications, such as understanding the motion of falling objects, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and sports.

Back