Have a problem? read this first

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, congratulations to Greg Bernhardt on the launch of his new forum. There are a few issues that need to be addressed but overall it is a success.
I don't know, where else to post technical issues with the new forum. First of all let me stress that I think that overall the new forum is great, and of course it takes time to get everything running as perfectly as the old one. At the moment I have two problems.

The first is really severe. It seems not to be possible anymore to just copy and paste things into the text in the editor window. Not that I want to plagiarize, but it's very convenient to just copy, e.g., links from the brower's address line or citations from my kbibtex database etc. I'm talking about the convenient Linux way of copy and pasting: Just mark some text somewhere and then use the middle mouse button to paste it. Now I have to use the copy and paste function of my browser (chromium), which is very inconvenient and slows down writing a lot, and I like to concentrate on my text and not on old-fashioned (Windows-like ;-)) editing technicalities.

The second is just a little inconvenience: In the old forum the postings were in descending order, i.e., newest postings within a thread first. Maybe it's just being used to it, but the ascending order seems to be much less convenient than the other way.

The slow rendering of the LaTeX input has already been reported. Funnily for the preview it works even faster than in the old forum.

I'm apologizing again for just reporting problems with the new forum. I hope it's not too frustrating for Greg!

Physics news on Phys.org
vanhees71 said:
not to be possible anymore to just copy and paste things into the text in the editor window
Hmmm I can copy and paste into the editor. Does anyone else have this problem?

vanhees71 said:
In the old forum the postings were in descending order

Check your settings, thread posts are in descending order :)

vanhees71 said:
The second is just a little inconvenience: In the old forum the postings were in descending order, i.e., newest postings within a thread first. Maybe it's just being used to it, but the ascending order seems to be much less convenient than the other way.

As Greg mentioned, that was a thing that could be configured in your profile.

Borek said:
As Greg mentioned, that was a thing that could be configured in your profile.
I'm obviously too stupid. Where can I find this setting (I looked through everything in the menu my PF).

vanhees71 said:
I'm obviously too stupid. Where can I find this setting (I looked through everything in the menu my PF).
I can't find it either. Is anyone else seeing the posts in ascending order?

Oh, just noticed that the Favicon is missing.

Good catch.

Greg Bernhardt said:
On a possibly related note, on the Mac, you can typically use emacs key bindings to edit text in text fields. It worked in the old forum, but with this new editor, typing ^K, for example, no longer kills to the end of the line but instead starts an ordered list.

I just found the setting to disable the rich-text editor. I can now use the key bindings again. Perhaps disabling the editor will fix vanhees' problem too.

Likes vanhees71
There is no default option/user preference in XF to allow reversing the order of posts in a thread such that the last post is first. There is an addon that does add this function in however.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I just checked Firefox. There the copy and paste works as usual. With Chromium I've to switch off the rich-text editor. But that's not a big deal, since I don't use its function anyway.

A lot of my posts are gone, the friends list is gone, and inbox messages (outbox and inbox) are gone. How can I retrieved them? Thank you very much.

td21 said:
A lot of my posts are gone, the friends list is gone, and inbox messages (outbox and inbox) are gone. How can I retrieved them? Thank you very much.

Your friends list and inbox are supposed to be deleted.

td21 said:

If you had checked the several announcements that were made, you'd have known that those things would be gone. Now you cannot retrieve them. You had more than a month to do that.

Yes, I've been noticing the forum loading slower than usual. Otherwise, good work The Right Honourable Greg!

I apologize for not looking at the post "https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/forum-feedback-announcements.19/threads/physics-forums-4-0-is-coming.771874/ " in the announcement section. I should have paid attention.
I did not save the messages which contain a lot of academic information. I also found that a lot of my forums posts in this year or so were deleted in my profile search. This situation is described as in post #4. They also contain a lot of academic information which I feel useful to me. I sincerely hope that they can be retrieved.
Many apologies and thanks,
td21

Last edited by a moderator:
StevieTNZ said:
Yes, I've been noticing the forum loading slower than usual. Otherwise, good work The Right Honourable Greg!

Tomorrow I'll look to get some files back on the CDN which should help. Also over the next few weeks I'll be able to upgrade some server software that should give us a boost.

td21 said:
I apologize for not looking at the post "https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/forum-feedback-announcements.19/threads/physics-forums-4-0-is-coming.771874/ " in the announcement section. I should have paid attention.
I did not save the messages which contain a lot of academic information. I also found that a lot of my forums posts in this year or so were deleted in my profile search. This situation is described as in post #4. They also contain a lot of academic information which I feel useful to me. I sincerely hope that they can be retrieved.
Many apologies and thanks,
td21

Your posts shouldn't be deleted...

Last edited by a moderator:
PMs are lost, but normal posts should be all there.

According to forum search, all of my posts made before Oct, 9, 2011 and after Jun, 29, 2013 are missing. However, the posts are still there, they're just not showing up in the search results.

A small error, when I try to open a thread from the homepage like http://prntscr.com/4oqm4w, I get an error. However, I can open it once I open the subforum.

Rocket50 said:
A small error, when I try to open a thread from the homepage like http://prntscr.com/4oqm4w, I get an error. However, I can open it once I open the subforum.
I'm not sure what this means. Where do you see that link on the homepage?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm not sure what this means. Where do you see that link on the homepage?

http://prntscr.com/4oqnaa

Could one of the admins clear my year of birth? I was checking out the settings and tried to set it to the year zero. It decided that I was born in 2001 and now tells me that it can't be changed except by an admin. I'm certainly not 13! It should give a little warning if it's not going to be editable afterward. I'm also a bit confused why a person can't correct their own age. :confused:

Can't you un-check the year to not show it?

Borg said:
I'm also a bit confused why a person can't correct their own age. :confused:

We all wish this... :-)

TurtleMeister said:
According to forum search, all of my posts made before Oct, 9, 2011 and after Jun, 29, 2013 are missing. However, the posts are still there, they're just not showing up in the search results.

The posts before Oct 2011 are not showing up because the search is limited to 200 posts. As for between 2013 and today, I'm not sure.. @Greg Bernhardt ?

cristo said:
The posts before Oct 2011 are not showing up because the search is limited to 200 posts. As for between 2013 and today, I'm not sure.. @Greg Bernhardt ?
That's true. I'm surprised there is a search data range you can choose. hmmmm

Greg Bernhardt said:
That's true. I'm surprised there is a search data range you can choose. hmmmm

This happens for my posts too, by the way -- in the search results there is nothing between June 2013 and yesterday. Weird...

In the older threads ,the contents within superscript and subscript are not displaying properly as they should have been .

Can this be fixed since it becomes difficult to read the equations ?

Tanya Sharma said:
In the older threads ,the contents within superscript and subscript are not displaying properly as they should have been .

Can this be fixed since it becomes difficult to read the equations ?
yes I can work on that. can you show me a example thread?