Height to time equation: water cylinder with pinhole

In summary: JonathanIn summary, Jonathan found an equation for height as a function of time using the weight flow rate and cross sectional area of the container. He then integrated the equation to find the height at any given time.
Jonathan Densil said:
After I have ##\sqrt{h}-\sqrt{h_0} = -\frac{AC_Dt\sqrt{2g}}{2A_x}##, I'm not sure how to isolate for ##h## on its own...sorry, could you please help me on that please?
##\sqrt{h}=\sqrt{h_0} -\frac{AC_Dt\sqrt{2g}}{2A_x}##

$${h}=h_0\left(1 -\frac{AC_D\sqrt{2g/h_0}}{2A_x}t\right)^2$$

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh, I thought you didn't want the height to be on the right side at all. Wouldn't it be :
$$h = h_0\left(1-\frac{AC_D\sqrt{2g}}{2A_xh_0}\right)$$

Jonathan Densil said:
Oh, I thought you didn't want the height to be on the right side at all. Wouldn't it be :
$$h = h_0\left(1-\frac{AC_D\sqrt{2g}}{2A_xh_0}\right)$$
This equation is not correct. The algebra leading to it is not correct. You can't do this kind of thing if you have not adequately mastered algebra.

The only height on the right side of my equation is the initial height (which is a constant independent of time). So that just goes along with the other constants multiplying the t.

sorry,

$$ h = h_0\left(1-\frac{AC_D\sqrt{2g}}{2A_xh_0}\right)^2$$

Jonathan Densil said:
sorry,

$$ h = h_0\left(1-\frac{AC_D\sqrt{2g}}{2A_xh_0}\right)^2$$
That should be a ##\sqrt{h_0}## in the denominator, and the second term should have a t.

Right that makes sense, I'm not sure why I mind-blanked there. I forgot I was factoring ##\sqrt{h_0}## and not ##h_0##. So now I can plug it into the first equation to get: $$\dot{W} =\rho g C_DA\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{t\rho g^2 C_D^2 A^2}{A_x}$$
$$ \dot{W} = \rho g C_DA\left(\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{tgC_DA}{A_x}\right)$$
Is this correct?

Jonathan Densil said:
Right that makes sense, I'm not sure why I mind-blanked there. I forgot I was factoring ##\sqrt{h_0}## and not ##h_0##. So now I can plug it into the first equation to get: $$\dot{W} =\rho g C_DA\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{t\rho g^2 C_D^2 A^2}{A_x}$$
$$ \dot{W} = \rho g C_DA\left(\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{tgC_DA}{A_x}\right)$$
Is this correct?
I think so, but not the first version.

The second equation was just a factored version of the first one... is there any way of verifying that this equation makes sense? Here is the graph for weight to time:
upload_2016-2-21_18-6-35.png

Jonathan Densil said:
The second equation was just a factored version of the first one... is there any way of verifying that this equation makes sense? Here is the graph for weight to time:
View attachment 96255
This is not the rate at which the weight is leaving, right? It is the weight itself vs time, right? If ##\sqrt{h}## vs time is a straight line, and W is proportional to h, then, if you plot ##\sqrt{W}## vs time, that should be a straight line also. Plot it up and see.

upload_2016-2-21_18-14-18.png

You were right, it is a straight line.

I am using a software from Vernier called Logger Pro, I used it to take the numerical derivative of the weight vales and plotted it against time. If my formula above is correct, then ##\dot{W} \propto t##. This is what it came up with:
upload_2016-2-21_18-31-5.png

However, the derivative values that it came up with were all much smaller than what I calculated by inputting time values into my formula. For example, at 8.52 seconds, I got the flow rate to be -0.907... but the software gave me -0.164 and at 38.5 seconds I got -0.3197... but the software got -0.128. Why is this the case, is it because my equation is wrong or is it because the software had no definite formula to get the derivative of and just used data points?

Jonathan Densil said:
I am using a software from Vernier called Logger Pro, I used it to take the numerical derivative of the weight vales and plotted it against time. If my formula above is correct, then ##\dot{W} \propto t##. This is what it came up with:
View attachment 96258
However, the derivative values that it came up with were all much smaller than what I calculated by inputting time values into my formula. For example, at 8.52 seconds, I got the flow rate to be -0.907... but the software gave me -0.164 and at 38.5 seconds I got -0.3197... but the software got -0.128. Why is this the case, is it because my equation is wrong or is it because the software had no definite formula to get the derivative of and just used data points?
I'm having trouble following exactly what you did.

Logger Pro did a numerical derivation of the weight values up in post #43. Those are the weight instances as a function of time. For example at time A the weight was x Newtons and at time B, the weight was y Newtons. If you plot the weight against time, the slope at any point in time would be the flow rate at the instance in time. I made Logger Pro take a numerical derivation of the weight values as a function of time to get the weight flow rate which I then plotted in post #46. Since I couldn't figure out the equation that relates force and time from the graph, I took a numerical derivation instead of an analytical derivation. My problem is, when I plugged in values for time into my equation, I got a different answer for the weight flow rate than what Logger Pro got. So my question is why is this the case? Is my equation wrong or is Logger Pro wrong? And is there any more surefire way of getting the weight flow rate from my data?

Jonathan Densil said:
Logger Pro did a numerical derivation of the weight values up in post #43. Those are the weight instances as a function of time. For example at time A the weight was x Newtons and at time B, the weight was y Newtons. If you plot the weight against time, the slope at any point in time would be the flow rate at the instance in time. I made Logger Pro take a numerical derivation of the weight values as a function of time to get the weight flow rate which I then plotted in post #46. Since I couldn't figure out the equation that relates force and time from the graph, I took a numerical derivation instead of an analytical derivation. My problem is, when I plugged in values for time into my equation, I got a different answer for the weight flow rate than what Logger Pro got. So my question is why is this the case? Is my equation wrong or is Logger Pro wrong? And is there any more surefire way of getting the weight flow rate from my data?
The derivatives that you calculated by hand seem way out of line with the graph of weight vs time. Did you remember to divide by ##\Delta t##?

Why would I need to divide by time. I just plugged in the parameters and values into my equation above. If I did divide by time I would get ##-0.10655...## and ##-0.008305...# respectively for 8.52 seconds and 38.5 seconds.

I didn't calculate the derivative by hand, I just made Logger Pro do a numerical derivative from the data given with respect to time. I tried to verify it by using my formula and plugging in values.

In any case, what does a negative flow rate mean? Do you just take the absolute value of it because clearly the slope of the tangent of the graph in post #43 is negative.

Jonathan Densil said:
I didn't calculate the derivative by hand, I just made Logger Pro do a numerical derivative from the data given with respect to time. I tried to verify it by using my formula and plugging in values.
The finite difference approximation to the dW/dt is ##\Delta W/\Delta t##. I didn't say to divide by time. I said to divide by the time interval between the point A and point B. The graph of W dot vs time made by Logger Pro looks consistent with the graph of W vs time to me.

Jonathan Densil said:
In any case, what does a negative flow rate mean? Do you just take the absolute value of it because clearly the slope of the tangent of the graph in post #43 is negative.
Sure. The weight is decreasing with time, right?

Yah, the weight is decreasing, but how do I divide my formula by the time interval? Can you show me please an example with my data of how to get the same answer that Logger Pro is getting?

Jonathan Densil said:
Yah, the weight is decreasing, but how do I divide my formula by the time interval? Can you show me please an example with my data of how to get the same answer that Logger Pro is getting?
Give me the weights and times at two points, A and B.

Point A: 9.131339746N at 19.58 seconds
Point B: 3.281800887 N at 67.6 seconds

Jonathan Densil said:
Point A: 9.131339746N at 19.58 seconds
Point B: 3.281800887 N at 67.6 seconds
$$\frac{\Delta W}{\Delta t}=\frac{3.2818-9.1313}{67.6-19.58}=-0.122$$
This is over a rather large time interval, so we need to associate this value of dW/dt with the average value of time over the time interval (19.58+67.6)/2=43.6 sec. See where the point (43.6, -0.122) would fall on the Logger Pro graph

Ohhhh... so in what cases would I use my formula?

Jonathan Densil said:
Ohhhh... so in what cases would I use my formula?
I don't understand. What is "your formula?"

The one that we've been trying to figure out:
$$\dot{W} = \rho g C_D A \left(\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{t g C_D A}{A_x}\right)$$
When would I have to use this?

Shouldn't that also have given -1.22 if I plug in 43.6 seconds or 48.02 seconds (I don't know which one to use, the average or the ##\Delta t##)?

Jonathan Densil said:
The one that we've been trying to figure out:
$$\dot{W} = \rho g C_D A \left(\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{t g C_D A}{A_x}\right)$$
When would I have to use this?
Now that you know the value of Cd, you can plot this equation up and see what you get. Plot a graph of this equation so that we can compare it with the Logger Pro graph for dW/dt.

Jonathan Densil said:
Shouldn't that also have given -1.22 if I plug in 43.6 seconds or 48.02 seconds (I don't know which one to use, the average or the ##\Delta t##)?
You calculate the derivative from the difference in the times, but you plot the derivative at the average of the times. It is just a coincidence that the difference and the average are about the same value for this particular case.

Last edited:
upload_2016-2-21_20-27-58.png

The weight flow rate against time. Sorry for the lack of labels, I did it in Mathematica and don't know how to add labels

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    11.2 KB · Views: 188
Jonathan Densil said:
View attachment 96264

The weight flow rate against time. Sorry for the lack of labels, I did it in Mathematica and don't know how to add labels
Excellent. This is almost the exact negative of dW/dt calculated by Logger Pro from the raw data.

So you can see that, once you have determined Cd, you don't need the data any more.

Last edited:
Thank you very, very much, I really appreciate your help. The equation works and very happy that I understand how I got it. I really am very thankful for your help. I struggled to make sense of it all for an entire week with my math and physics teachers at school. Thanks again,

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Hello Chestmiller,

I just have a quick question about uncertainties. I took the derivative of the weight to get weight flow rate. So, if I have the uncertainty for the weight, how do I find the uncertainty of the weight flow rate.

Jonathan Densil said:
Hello Chestmiller,

I just have a quick question about uncertainties. I took the derivative of the weight to get weight flow rate. So, if I have the uncertainty for the weight, how do I find the uncertainty of the weight flow rate.
I don't know how to do this. Maybe, if you submit it to the mathematics forums (specifying very precisely what is involved mathematically), you can get some help there. Mention that you have an analytic expression for the rate of weight loss vs time, and experimental data on weight as a function of time.

Do you know any good, trustworthy forums as this one?