Help name 78,216 little black ants, please

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, 78,216 little black ants are in need of a name. As an expert summarizer, my role is to provide a concise summary of content without responding or replying to questions. Therefore, I will not output anything before this summary.
Mix 28 pounds of sulphur and 28 pounds of iron fillings with just enough water to form a paste of the mixture. If you can find the ant's home hill, dig a hole beneath it and bury the mixture in the hole. The result will definitely send the ants heading for other locales, never to return. http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/ymboa/ymboa.html
Of course, the same can be said for your neighbors, as well. Who wants to live next door to a person who creates volcanoes for a hobby?

"The lessons of science should be experimental also. The sight of the planet through a telescope, is worth all the course on astronomy: the shock of the electric spark in the elbow, out-values all the theories; the taste of the nitrous oxide, the firing of an artificial volcano, are better than volumes of chemistry." Ralph Waldo Emerson - New England Reformers - 1844

In spite of Emerson's sentiments, you should keep in mind that even small volcanoes emit toxic sulphur dioxide fumes and the area will probably be hazardous for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Thanks for those clever name suggestion, guys. (Monique, some of those are going to be quite challenging to pronounce!)
Why is that? You've got the young ant Ecede, the slightly older ant Iquated, and the eldest ant Ediluvian, the smartest you call ant Hropoid, and the one who walks on two legs ant Hropomorphic.. the aggressive one ant Agonist and the learned one ant Hology :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Just seems natural to me.. :approve:

Monique said:
You've got the young ant Ecede, the slightly older ant Iquated, and the eldest ant Ediluvian, the smartest you call ant Hropoid, and the one who walks on two legs ant Hropomorphic.. the aggressive one ant Agonist and the learned one ant Hology
I was completely taken in. At first I thought "Wow, Monique knows Greek!"

Math Is Hard said:
Thanks for those clever name suggestion, guys. (Monique, some of those are going to be quite challenging to pronounce!)
After some reflection on the matter, I have decided to name the first 17 of them after ex-boyfriends, then I'll just repeat the sequence. Makes it more fun when I step on them. :devil:

17 Ex-boyfriends?! :eek: And I'm the one with the fortune saying I've been hurt in love :confused: Well, according to Monique's fortune, she'll have a name to add to your list soon too, when she meets that lying, cheating guy! I like that idea though...if you can't stop 'em, stomp 'em and have some fun while doing it!

What about these ants: Werp, Ietam, Illes, Rim, Igua, Hrax, Her, Ler, Erior, Ic, Imony (with twin sister Inomy), Iphony, and the ever popular auntie Disestablishmentarianism.

The ants are my friends,
They're blowin' in the wind.
The ants, they are blowin' in the wind...

Hey, if I can't shoot my skunks then you can't kill your ants. I think you should catch them all and relocate them. :biggrin:

Njorl said:
First, I find out where they come in. I catch a few of them. I get some toothpicks and make tiny crosses. I then crucify the captured ants and place them at the entryway. This doesn't keep the ants out, but it does keep me busy.

Njorl

Where do the middle set of legs go?

Ivan Seeking said:
Hey, if I can't shoot my skunks then you can't kill your ants. I think you should catch them all and relocate them. :biggrin:

LOL! I recommend trapping them in an Ant Motel, and relocating them to the trashcan :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
There was an article in the paper here a couple years ago about "the ant man" who was something along the lines of an "ant whisperer". He claimed he could hunker down and talk the ants into moving away.

zoobyshoe said:
There was an article in the paper here a couple years ago about "the ant man" who was something along the lines of an "ant whisperer". He claimed he could hunker down and talk the ants into moving away.

Wow, I wonder how bad his breath was that ants ran from it?

plover said:
The ants are my friends,
They're blowin' in the wind.
The ants, they are blowin' in the wind...
ROFL. :biggrin: I've always loved the Peter, Paul & Mary version. So "those" are the real words.

Math Is Hard said:
Njorl and Bob, yer scarin' me!

Well it looks like our jobs are working Njorl. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

zoobyshoe said:
I was completely taken in. At first I thought "Wow, Monique knows Greek!"
haha :biggrin: I know Greeks, does that count?
Now all I need to do is think of some future baby names.. how about.. Osopher, middle name Phil.. or how about.. Elous, middle name Marv.. :biggrin: :eek:

Monique said:
Now all I need to do is think of some future baby names..

When some friends of mine found out they were having a girl, I suggested the name Drosophila...

I'm glad you didn't suggest Frizzled :smile:

How about you dig yourself a big enough hole and live in the ants nest. They will see that our two species can't coexist and pack up and leave. It works for me, but that could just be my personal hygiene :-p

Monique said:
I'm glad you didn't suggest Frizzled :smile:

Hmm... well, she's definitely Wingless, and can express Dishevelled quite well given half a chance...

Ivan Seeking said:
Where do the middle set of legs go?

OK, we'll make asterisks and ... um ... astrify 'em!

Njorl

Njorl said:

Njorl

You're scarin' me too. :rolleyes:

Artman said:
You're scarin' me too. :rolleyes:

Oh well that is 2 to Njorl: 1 to The Bob. Never mind. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Njorl said:

With an extra crosspiece near the top like an Orthodox cross for the antennae...

plover said:
With an extra crosspiece near the top like an Orthodox cross for the antennae...

Oh yes. Know we are talking. :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

plover said:

Now that is just cruel! What kind of monster are you?

Njorl

Math Is Hard said:
Thanks everyone - I appreciate the advice. Evo and Ivan, I will try a combination of your methods. Jelly, huh?
What brand of bait works best? I have had the most success with a brand called Terro so far.
The Bob, you are usually more creative, but hey, I guess it IS an awfully long list.
Jimmy P thanks for your idea, but I am afraid setting fire to them will be quite impractical in my situation!
And yes, Holly, they ARE trying to send me a message. Spelled out in perfect block lettering on the kichen floor this morning was

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!
:biggrin:

That's pretty cool... coincidense? i think not :cool:

Njorl said:
Now that is just cruel! What kind of monster are you?

If you've got a lot of toothpicks, I've got some ideas for millipedes... :devil:

Hey, do I get Njorl's points now? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

Maybe I could just spay and neuter them all,too. :smile:

and tag them each with little radio transmitters so that we can track their progress once set free. You can also make a fine batch of ant testicle tea - quite tasty! :biggrin:

LOL! I saw the avatar but I hadn't noticed your location. I really got quite a reaction from Tsu with that shot.

plover said:
If you've got a lot of toothpicks, I've got some ideas for millipedes... :devil:

Hey, do I get Njorl's points now? :biggrin:

No but you can share them :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. 1.5 Njorl, 1 The Bob and 0.5 Plover :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
and tag them each with little radio transmitters so that we can track their progress once set free. You can also make a fine batch of ant testicle tea - quite tasty! :biggrin:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I remember reading about Richard Feynman's fascination with ants. He spent a couple of weeks following them around his house, I think.

LOL! I saw the avatar but I hadn't noticed your location. I really got quite a reaction from Tsu with that shot.

I still think that's hysterical how you sprung that little surprise on her! :surprise:

Ivan Seeking said:
LOL! I saw the avatar but I hadn't noticed your location.
I know. Is that just CUTE or what??! :biggrin: I'm so honored to have one of our little skunks chosen as Math Is Hard's avatar! BTW, Ivan - was that Miss Aftermath or was it Evo the Terrible chowing down? Could you tell? I mean... the tail is so BUSHY and all... :biggrin: I mean, you know... well, just thought it might be Evo... Well, er...never mind... :redface: :wink: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
:I still think that's hysterical how you sprung that little surprise on her! :surprise:
Yeah. My life with Ivan is just chock FULL of those 'hysterical little surprises'... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Tsunami said:
Yeah. My life with Ivan is just chock FULL of those 'hysterical little surprises'... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

April Fool's Day must be quite an event at your house!

Tsunami said:
BTW, Ivan - was that Miss Aftermath or was it Evo the Terrible chowing down? Could you tell? I mean... the tail is so BUSHY and all... :biggrin: I mean, you know... well, just thought it might be Evo... Well, er...never mind... :redface: :wink: :smile: :smile: :smile:
That's me, bright eyed and bushy tailed. :-p

HAhaAHAHhHAAhAAA! Oh Mercy, Evo's tail is quite magnificent, isn't it!