Help Solve This Financial Puzzle: Dropping Rebates Per Case

• MHB
  • Thread starter hannahg252
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per Puzzle
In summary, Hannah is struggling to prove a simple concept regarding the changes in rebates received over a two week period. The overall rebate per case dropped from £16.30 to £15.96, resulting in a financial impact of 13,566. While the individual ingredient rows do not add up to this total, Hannah wants to determine the portion of the drop that is caused by the increase in rebate per case for soft drinks and the decrease in number of cases ordered. To solve this, percentages can be computed to provide a weighted average, but this may not explain the reason behind the change.
hannahg252
View attachment 3924

Hi,

I'm trying to prove something that I think is simple but am really struggling so would greatly appreciate any help!

Over 2 weeks I receive rebates, the value of the rebate can vary both due to the rebate on each case and also the number of cases ordered.
Between week 25 and week 26 my overall rebate per case dropped from £16.30 to £15.96 which has a financial impact of 13,566. I know this is the right number as it takes into account variation on rebate per case and the number of cases ordered but it is the same calculation in the individual ingredient rows above but they don't add up to this total.

Basically I want to prove how to split the 13,656 by ingredient to for example show that even though our rebate per case on soft drinks increased, because we have ordered 308 less cases this is causing our overall rebate per case to decline so that I can say how much of the 13,656 drop is driven by this.

The numbers are in the JPG file attached and would really value some clever brains to help me solve the riddle.

Thanks!

Hannah

Attachments

• Rebate problem.JPG
    Rebate problem.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 55
Mathematics news on Phys.org
hannahg252 said:
Hi,

I'm trying to prove something that I think is simple but am really struggling so would greatly appreciate any help!

Over 2 weeks I receive rebates, the value of the rebate can vary both due to the rebate on each case and also the number of cases ordered.
Between week 25 and week 26 my overall rebate per case dropped from £16.30 to £15.96 which has a financial impact of 13,566. I know this is the right number as it takes into account variation on rebate per case and the number of cases ordered but it is the same calculation in the individual ingredient rows above but they don't add up to this total.

Basically I want to prove how to split the 13,656 by ingredient to for example show that even though our rebate per case on soft drinks increased, because we have ordered 308 less cases this is causing our overall rebate per case to decline so that I can say how much of the 13,656 drop is driven by this.

The numbers are in the JPG file attached and would really value some clever brains to help me solve the riddle.

Thanks!

Hannah

In this particular case you can say the change in the amount of rebates was caused totally by the change in the rebates in soft drinks [just look at the differences by product]. As an explanation of why this is true, you can point to the change in the number of each product.

Generally, when trying to apportion results by product, one computes percentages (that is weighted averages). Thus one could, if it made sense otherwise, compute the percentage of the total of your last column and apply that to the 13,566. Once again, this might tell you what, but not why.

Related to Help Solve This Financial Puzzle: Dropping Rebates Per Case

1. What is the "Financial Puzzle" being referred to?

The "Financial Puzzle" being referred to is the decreasing trend of rebates per case within a certain industry or market. This refers to the amount of money that a company is offering as a rebate for each product sold.

2. What could be causing the decrease in rebates per case?

There could be several factors causing the decrease in rebates per case. These could include changes in market demand, increased competition, changes in company strategy, or changes in production or distribution costs.

3. How does this decrease in rebates per case affect businesses?

The decrease in rebates per case can have a significant impact on businesses, particularly those that heavily rely on rebates as a sales incentive. It can decrease profit margins and make it more difficult to compete with other companies that offer higher rebates. It may also lead to a decrease in sales if customers are motivated by rebates.

4. What are some potential solutions to this financial puzzle?

There are a few potential solutions that businesses can consider to address this financial puzzle. One option is to find ways to decrease production or distribution costs to offset the decrease in rebates. Another solution could be to shift focus to other sales incentives, such as discounts or promotions. Businesses could also explore ways to increase the perceived value of their products to justify a higher price and decrease reliance on rebates.

5. How can further research help solve this financial puzzle?

Further research can help to identify the specific factors that are causing the decrease in rebates per case. This could involve conducting market research to better understand customer preferences and the competitive landscape. It could also involve analyzing internal data to identify any cost inefficiencies. This information can then be used to develop targeted strategies to address the issue and potentially increase rebates per case.