Help With a Mess of a Separable Equation

• Thread starter cowmoo32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
I would also recommend explicitly solving for ##S(t)## at this point.In summary, the amount of a chemical reactant, S(t), can be determined by solving the initial value problem of the Michaelis-Menten equation, given by the formula \frac{dS}{dt} = \frac{aS}{K + S}, where a, K, and S0 are positive constants. The implicit solution for this initial value problem is -\frac{1}{a}(K\ln S(t)+S(t))=t+C, where C is the constant of integration and can be found by substituting S(0)=S0.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

Let S(t) represent the amount of a chemical reactant present at time t, where t>= 0. Assume that S(t) can be determined by solving the initial value problem
http://webwork.math.ncsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/21/885ac2eff6f65b363662233870e25e1.png

where a, K, and S0 are positive constants. Obtain an implicit solution of the initial value problem. (The differential equation, often referred to as the Michaelis-Menten equation, arises in the study of biochemical reactions.)

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{dS}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{aS}{K + S}[/itex]

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{K + S}{aS}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex]dt

ln(aS)([itex]\frac{S^2}{2}+KS[/itex]) = t

I'm not even sure how to begin to solve for S

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:
...where a, K, and S0 are positive constants. Obtain an implicit solution of the initial value problem. (The differential equation, often referred to as the Michaelis-Menten equation, arises in the study of biochemical reactions.)...

Technically, if all you need is an implicit solution, then you're almost done - you never need to solve for S(t)... With an implicit solution, all you need is an equation which relates S and t. S and t are related by the expression you came to at the end: ln(aS)(S22+KS) = t. Moreover, that ODE doesn't have a solution S(t) in terms of elementary functions. You need the Lambert W-function to express it.

However, I would caution you that your integral seems to be missing a minus sign. Moreover, when I come up with the implicit solution, I get a completely different answer...

[tex]
\int -\frac{K+S}{aS}dS=\int dt\\
\Rightarrow \int -\frac{K}{aS}-\frac{S}{aS}dS=t+c\\
\Rightarrow \int -\frac{K}{aS}-\frac{1}{a}dS=t+c\\
\Rightarrow -\frac{1}{a}(K\ln (S(t))+S(t))=t+C
[/tex]

(I'm not sure where you went wrong, but this is what you should be doing.)
Now, can you see what you need to do? Your constant of integration C is still there, but you have an initial condition [itex]S(0)=S_0[/itex]...

Last edited:
cowmoo32 said:
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{K + S}{aS}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex]dt

ln(aS)([itex]\frac{S^2}{2}+KS[/itex]) = t

That antiderivative isn't correct. You can't do
$$\int \frac{K+S}{aS}dS = \int\frac 1 {aS}dS\int K+S\, dS$$

christoff said:
Technically, if all you need is an implicit solution, then you're almost done - you never need to solve for S(t)... With an implicit solution, all you need is an equation which relates S and t. S and t are related by the expression you came to at the end: ln(aS)(S22+KS) = t. Moreover, that ODE doesn't have a solution S(t) in terms of elementary functions. You need the Lambert W-function to express it.

However, I would caution you that your integral seems to be missing a minus sign. Moreover, when I come up with the implicit solution, I get a completely different answer...

[tex]
\int -\frac{K+S}{aS}dS=\int dt\\
\Rightarrow \int -\frac{K}{aS}-\frac{S}{aS}dS=t+c\\
\Rightarrow \int -\frac{K}{aS}-\frac{1}{a}dS=t+c\\
\Rightarrow -\frac{1}{a}(K\ln (S(t))+S(t))=t+C
[/tex]

(I'm not sure where you went wrong, but this is what you should be doing.)
Now, can you see what you need to do? Your constant of integration C is still there, but you have an initial condition [itex]S(0)=S_0[/itex]...
I'll give it another go and see what I come up with.

LCKurtz said:
That antiderivative isn't correct. You can't do
$$\int \frac{K+S}{aS}dS = \int\frac 1 {aS}dS\int K+S\, dS$$
You're right. I meant to split them into two fractions, not separate the numerator from the denominator.

ok, so I get [tex]
-\frac{K}{a}(\ln (S(t))+S(t)=t+C
[/tex]

Substituting S(0)=S0. I can't get the tex code correct, but I'm replacing S(t) with S0. When I solve for C, I get the entire equation =0, which isn't correct.

cowmoo32 said:
ok, so I get

[tex]
-\frac{K}{a}(\ln (S(t))+S(t)=t+C
[/tex]

Substituting S(0)=S0. I can't get the tex code correct, but I'm replacing S(t) with S0. When I solve for C, I get the entire equation =0, which isn't correct.

That should be$$-\frac{1}{a}(K\ln S(t)+S(t))=t+C$$
When you put ##t=0## and ##S(0) = S_0## in that equation you get$$
-\frac{1}{a}(K\ln (S_0)+S_0)=C$$Put that in for ##C## in the top equation.

FAQ: Help With a Mess of a Separable Equation

1. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation in which the dependent and independent variables can be separated and solved independently. This means that the equation can be expressed as a product of two functions, one containing only the dependent variable and the other containing only the independent variable.

2. How do I know if an equation is separable?

An equation is separable if it can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of only one variable. This means that the equation can be separated into a function of x and a function of y.

3. What is the general process for solving a separable equation?

The general process for solving a separable equation is to first separate the variables by moving one side of the equation to the other side. Then, integrate both sides with respect to their respective variables. This will result in a solution in the form of y = f(x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a separable equation?

Sure, let's take the equation dy/dx = x/y as an example. First, we separate the variables by multiplying both sides by y: ydy = xdx. Then, we integrate both sides: ∫ ydy = ∫ xdx. This gives us the solution y^2/2 = x^2/2 + C, where C is the constant of integration. Finally, we solve for y to get y = ±√(x^2 + C).

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a separable equation?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating both sides. Another mistake is not properly separating the variables, resulting in an incorrect solution. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions when solving for y, as some separable equations may have multiple solutions.

Back