Help with a new term for gender specific telepathy please

In summary: interesting. They're from a planet that determines gender by whether or not someone can "read" them. Neither gender can "read" Our Hero, which leads to some scientific excitement.There's a bit of backstory to this character that makes it...interesting. They're from a planet that determines gender by whether or not someone can "read" them. Neither gender can "read" Our Hero, which leads to some scientific excitement.I don't think there's a need for a new word for this, just stick to "telepathy". It's less confusing and it works just fine for this situation.
Noisy Rhysling
I want to build a world where men can read women's minds, but not other men, and vice-versa. I need to have them show the gender of the person doing the telepathy. Any suggestions? I have considered just having two words that show this, but I'm not really happy with that, which means it doesn't work or I'm not good enough to come up with two good ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
Noisy Rhysling said:
men can read women's minds, but not other men, and vice-versa.
Can't you simply state this "up-front" as one of "the facts of life" that have been taken for granted since "they" came down from the trees?

Bystander said:
Can't you simply state this "up-front" as one of "the facts of life" that have been taken for granted since "they" came down from the trees?
My character isn't from that planet. They make gender determination by whether they can "read" a person or not. Neither gender can read Our Hero. Scientists are excited by him because not everybody is crazy about the telepathy.

Noisy Rhysling said:
gender determination by whether they can "read" a person or not.
"He's abnormal," not them, which makes "him" a "neuter."

Bystander said:
"He's abnormal," not them, which makes "him" a "neuter."
No, he's just an alien there. Picked up drifting by one of their military patrols. They're enough like us that he wouldn't be considered "neuter", just "silent". Those occur there, but only under extreme circumstances.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I want to build a world where men can read women's minds, but not other men, and vice-versa. I need to have them show the gender of the person doing the telepathy. Any suggestions? I have considered just having two words that show this, but I'm not really happy with that, which means it doesn't work or I'm not good enough to come up with two good ones.

Seems to me that you've already got such a constraint that it is unnecessary to tell the reader their gender. If they know who the POV character is, then they know the gender of everyone in telepathic communication with them.

In any case, I'm not really sure what you mean when you ask for a way to show their gender. How is this different from normal dialogue? All the same pronouns and whatnot (he/she said, etc) can be applied to telepathy in my opinion. Are you asking for small descriptions to use, made up words instead of he/she/it, or something else?

Noisy Rhysling said:
My character isn't from that planet. They make gender determination by whether they can "read" a person or not. Neither gender can read Our Hero. Scientists are excited by him because not everybody is crazy about the telepathy.

I don't quite see how this is related to your original question. Can you elaborate more on what you're trying to ask?

Our Hero is trying to sort out the culture of this planet, and being who he is he wants something better than "hepathy" and "shepathy". As for the residents, a woman can read a man's mind when they're in close proximity, but not a woman's, and vice versa. A woman can't keep secrets from a man and a man's thoughts about a woman are very, very clear to her.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Our Hero is trying to sort out the culture of this planet, and being who he is he wants something better than "hepathy" and "shepathy".

What's wrong with just using plain old "telepathy"? It's not confusing, it doesn't require your readers to learn any new words, and it seems to apply just fine to this situation. I guess I'm just trying to understand your motivation behind wanting new words for this.

Drakkith said:
What's wrong with just using plain old "telepathy"? It's not confusing, it doesn't require your readers to learn any new words, and it seems to apply just fine to this situation. I guess I'm just trying to understand your motivation behind wanting new words for this.
Our Hero wants to convey the gender specific nature of the telepathy clearly in his report back to the University that sent him out.

"Male-based telepathy"?
"Female-based telepathy"?

If it's a serious report he's sending back then I think some kind of technical term would be appropriate, even though I think "telepathy" is still easier and more natural to use. I mean, as far as I can tell, there is no functional difference between the telepathic abilities of men and women, so having a distinction between the two feels odd. But that's just my opinion.

Drakkith said:
"Male-based telepathy"?
"Female-based telepathy"?

If it's a serious report he's sending back then I think some kind of technical term would be appropriate, even though I think "telepathy" is still easier and more natural to use. I mean, as far as I can tell, there is no functional difference between the telepathic abilities of men and women, so having a distinction between the two feels odd. But that's just my opinion.
There's a bit of backstory to this character that makes it necessary for him to do it this way. And I've noted that men can only read women's minds and vice versa. The ability they have to read minds is completely gender specific.

Heterolepathy?

Vanadium 50 said:
Heterolepathy?
I was wondering if someone could suggest names for male and female telepathy, not the phenomenon in general.

Noisy Rhysling said:
And I've noted that men can only read women's minds and vice versa. The ability they have to read minds is completely gender specific.

Yes, but there's no real difference in the two. It's like pheromones. Males and females of many species emit pheromones to attract the other or do other kinds of communicating, but we don't have separate names for them. However, if there's an in-story reason that necessitates this, then I suppose I it's fine.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I was wondering if someone could suggest names for male and female telepathy, not the phenomenon in general.

Hmmm. Not sure. It's a little difficult without knowing something about this species. Are there any differences in the way it "feels" or "sounds" to each gender? Or are there any significant gender differences in this species? Perhaps some sociological differences that might come into play here? That might be a good way to start brainstorming for names.

Drakkith said:
Yes, but there's no real difference in the two. It's like pheromones. Males and females of many species emit pheromones to attract the other or do other kinds of communicating, but we don't have separate names for them. However, if there's an in-story reason that necessitates this, then I suppose I it's fine.
I did mention that men could read women's minds and women could read men's minds, but neither gender could read their own gender's minds. The plot revolves around this.

Hmmm. Not sure. It's a little difficult without knowing something about this species. Are there any differences in the way it "feels" or "sounds" to each gender? Or are there any significant gender differences in this species? Perhaps some sociological differences that might come into play here? That might be a good way to start brainstorming for names.
Other than the gender specific telepathy, there's no obvious difference. The planet's residents haven't been DNA tested yet, Our Hero is the first outsider to visit. They might be a "lost colony".

Noisy Rhysling said:
Other than the gender specific telepathy, there's no obvious difference. The planet's residents haven't been DNA tested yet, Our Hero is the first outsider to visit. They might be a "lost colony".

Oh, they're humans or human-like?

Drakkith said:
Oh, they're humans or human-like?
Highly humanoid. Our Hero was diverted from another assignment because of the TV signals a probe had picked up. The time is about 1,000 years post-collapse of the previous Empire, and the new Coalition is looking to collect the lost colonies. The problem for Our Hero is that if this gender specific telepathy gets off the planet chaos might result.

Hmmm. Well, I'm not very much good at coming up with new words, so I don't think I can help you that much. I'd say just try to think of somehow relating the words to the character's background or something. Try to get into his head and figure out what he'd call them.

Noisy Rhysling said:
someone could suggest names for male and female telepathy

Androlepathy and Gynolepathy?

Likes Drakkith
Vanadium 50 said:
Our Hero would like those. I don't know about the readers. Sounds a bit Potterverse, which isn't bad in my book.

Vanadium 50 said:

Not bad.

How about telepath-HE and telepath-SHE then?

Likes Drakkith
Vanadium 50 said:
How about telepath-HE and telepath-SHE then?
He-path ("hep-ath), She-path (shep-ath)? I need a casual/conversational term for each as well as Our Hero's phrasing.

Of course, I could make Our Hero a German speaker and really dick with the readers. ;)

Vanadium 50 said:
Heterolepathy?
How about heterotextual intercommunication?

Hercuflea said:
How about heterotextual intercommunication?
The "textual" part wouldn't be misleading?

Noisy Rhysling said:
I need a casual/conversational term for each as well as Our Hero's phrasing.

Why don't you post all the constraints at once instead of dribbling it out a little at a time to knock down answers from people trying to help?

Likes Ryan_m_b
Vanadium 50 said:
Why don't you post all the constraints at once instead of dribbling it out a little at a time to knock down answers from people trying to help?
Well, to start with, there's nothing written down yet.

I'd say you have it backwards: gender would be defined by this telepathic ability, not the other way round. Given that gender is a social construct and biological sex isn't black-or-white membership to group A or B for this species would be defined on the basis of who you can and can't read.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'd say you have it backwards: gender would be defined by this telepathic ability, not the other way round. Given that gender is a social construct and biological sex isn't black-or-white membership to group A or B for this species would be defined on the basis of who you can and can't read.
Just need a good word for it at this point. The major issue will be the Coalition's attitude toward "contamination of the human race" and their draconian methods of dealing with any dangers.

I still don't quite get why you need new words that are gender specific given that it's the exact same ability. "He read her mind while she read his" is surely better than "he andread her mind while she gynosensed his". As others have said all you need to do is explain it earlier in text:

"So you're all mind readers?" the astronaut asked

"Not exactly" the alien explained. "Egg carriers (you call them "females" correct?) can read the minds of sperm producers and vice versa. But, bar rare cases of intesexuality, none can read their own sex"

Ryan_m_b said:
I still don't quite get why you need new words that are gender specific given that it's the exact same ability. "He read her mind while she read his" is surely better than "he andread her mind while she gynosensed his". As others have said all you need to do is explain it earlier in text:

"So you're all mind readers?" the astronaut asked

"Not exactly" the alien explained. "Egg carriers (you call them "females" correct?) can read the minds of sperm producers and vice versa. But, bar rare cases of intesexuality, none can read their own sex"
Because that's what Our Hero routinely does.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Because that's what Our Hero routinely does.

The hero routinely makes up needless words?

Ryan_m_b said:
The hero routinely makes up needless words?
I'm expressing myself poorly, I guess.

Why don't you outline all of the criteria you are trying to satisfy? I get that the protagonist is a visitor or to the planet and is looking to describe the natives to his colleagues back home. Why can't he simply say "the people of this planet exhibit hetero-telepathy; they are capable of reading the minds of the opposite gender"? Why does he need to say "the women have the power of man-reading and the men the power of women-reading"?

It would be particularly helpful if you could post a sample extract from this story.

Ryan_m_b said:
Why don't you outline all of the criteria you are trying to satisfy? I get that the protagonist is a visitor or to the planet and is looking to describe the natives to his colleagues back home. Why can't he simply say "the people of this planet exhibit hetero-telepathy; they are capable of reading the minds of the opposite gender"? Why does he need to say "the women have the power of man-reading and the men the power of women-reading"?

It would be particularly helpful if you could post a sample extract from this story.
It's a characteristic of the character that he does things like this. "Signature move" if you will. And as I said above, nothing is on paper yet. When I start writing the story down it will be because it is complete.