Help with line potential involving line integral

A at the origin due to a current segment I(t)=kt flowing along the x-axis from -b<x<-a where b>a. He provides the formula \vec A_{(\vec r,t)} = \hat x \frac{\mu_0 k}{4\pi}\int _{-b}^{-a} \frac {(t-\frac {\eta}{c})}{\eta} dx \;\hbox { where }\;\eta = |x|. He also mentions that the book provides a different solution \vec A_{(\vec r,t)} = \hat x \frac{\mu_0 k}{4\pi} ln(\frac b a)-... and he is unsure why
yungman
I figure it out already.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

This is a new question, I am just using the old thread because the tittle applys.

I want to find the vector potential A at origin due to a current segment I(t)=kt flowing along x-axis from -b<x<-a where b>a. This mean [tex] I_{(t)}=\hat x kt [/tex] from -b to -a on the left of the origin.

[tex]\vec A_{(\vec r,t)} = \hat x \frac{\mu_0 k}{4\pi}\int _{-b}^{-a} \frac {(t-\frac {\eta}{c})}{\eta} dx \;\hbox { where }\;\eta = |x| [/tex]

[tex]\vec A_{(\vec r,t)} = \hat x \frac{\mu_0 k}{4\pi}\int _{-b}^{-a} \frac {t}{|x|} dx -...= \hat x \frac{\mu_0 k}{4\pi}ln|x|_{-b}^{-a} -...= \hat x \frac{\mu_0 k}{4\pi} ln(\frac a b)-...[/tex]

I did not write the second part because that is not part of the question. But the book said it is:

[tex]\vec A_{(\vec r,t)} = \hat x \frac{\mu_0 k}{4\pi} ln(\frac b a)-...[/tex]

Please help me on this, thanks

Alan

FAQ: Help with line potential involving line integral

1. What is a line potential?

A line potential is a scalar function that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point along a path or curve.

2. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is calculated along a specific path or curve, rather than over a specific area. It is used to calculate the work done by a vector field along a given path.

3. How is line potential related to line integral?

Line potential is the potential energy function used to calculate the line integral. It is used to determine the work done by a vector field along a given path, by integrating the dot product of the vector field and the gradient of the line potential.

4. Can you give an example of a problem involving line potential and line integral?

Sure, for example, if a particle is moving along a path described by the curve y = x^2, and the force acting on the particle is given by F(x,y) = x^2 + 2xy, the work done by the force along the path can be calculated using a line integral involving the line potential function f(x,y) = x^3 + xy. The resulting integral would be ∫(x^3 + xy)dx from 0 to 1, which equals 2/3.

5. What is the importance of line potential and line integral in physics and engineering?

Line potential and line integral are important concepts in physics and engineering because they allow us to calculate the work done by a vector field along a specific path, which is useful in analyzing various physical systems and engineering designs. They also have applications in areas such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and mechanics.

Back