Help With Problem Setup: No Idea What the Hint Says

In summary, when struggling to understand a hint, try breaking it down into smaller parts and seeking clarification from classmates or teachers. To improve problem-solving skills, practice regularly and review notes or materials related to the topic. If the hint seems irrelevant, re-read the problem and try approaching it from a different angle. Skipping the hint may lead to confusion, and it's acceptable to ask for help with problem setup.
physicsss
I have no idea what the hint tells me to do...please help me set the problem up...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Its telling you to simplify u(x,y) as part of another function h(t). Choosing

[tex] h(t) = \frac{t}{(1+t^2)^{1/2}} [/tex], then h(u) =

[tex] h(u) = \frac{x-uy}{1+(x-uy)^2)^{1/2}}[/tex] which is your original function. From there:

[tex] u(x,y) = h(x-uy), u - h(x-uy) = 0 [/tex], where you can solve the PDE

Sure, I'd be happy to help you set up the problem. Can you please provide more context or information about the problem and the hint? This will help me understand the situation better and provide you with more specific guidance. Also, have you tried breaking down the problem into smaller steps and identifying any key terms or equations that may be relevant? Sometimes, taking a step back and approaching the problem from a different angle can help clarify the hint and make it easier to understand. Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns, and I'll do my best to assist you.

Related to Help With Problem Setup: No Idea What the Hint Says

1. What should I do if I don't understand the hint provided?

If you are having trouble understanding the hint, try breaking it down into smaller parts and focusing on one step at a time. You can also try looking up key terms or concepts online for further clarification. If you are still stuck, don't hesitate to reach out to a classmate, teacher, or mentor for help.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills when I don't know what the hint is saying?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly and challenge yourself with different types of problems. It's also helpful to review any notes or materials related to the topic of the problem. Additionally, you can try explaining the problem and the hint to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.

3. What if the hint provided doesn't seem relevant to my problem?

If the hint provided doesn't seem to apply to your specific problem, try re-reading the problem and the hint to see if you missed any key information. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different problem-solving strategy. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to ask for clarification from your teacher or classmates.

4. Can I skip the hint and still solve the problem?

While it may be tempting to skip the hint and try to solve the problem on your own, it's important to remember that the hint is there to guide you and provide helpful information. Skipping the hint may lead to frustration or confusion, and it's always better to fully understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with problem setup and not just the solution?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help with problem setup. In fact, it's often encouraged to seek clarification and understanding of the problem before attempting to solve it. Asking for help with problem setup can also help you develop your problem-solving skills and improve your understanding of the material.