Help with sourcing a specific type of integrating sphere

aferrie
I am looking for a specific type of integrating sphere that can be used to capture diffuse reflectance measurements, and I would appreciate help with locating a commercially availably version of this sphere. The diagram below illustrates the type of sphere I am looking for [1]. Two ports are located at equal an opposite angles from the sample normal so that light that is specularly reflected from the sample can be eliminated by a light trap placed in the non-source port.
1700598506496.png

I have looked online in attempt to find a commercially available integrating sphere with this design; however, I have only come across general purpose integrating spheres (such as this Edmund Optics one) that have ports located directly across or 90 degrees from each other. Any help locating this specific type of integrating sphere would be much appreciated.Reference
1. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/physics-and-astronomy/spectral-reflectance

Science news on Phys.org
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and Charles Link

Related to Help with sourcing a specific type of integrating sphere

What is an integrating sphere, and what is it used for?

An integrating sphere is a spherical device used to measure the optical properties of materials, such as reflectance and transmittance. It is also used to provide uniform illumination and to measure the total power of light sources. The interior surface of the sphere is coated with a diffuse reflective material, which allows light to be uniformly distributed inside the sphere.

What factors should I consider when selecting an integrating sphere?

When selecting an integrating sphere, consider the following factors: the size of the sphere, the type of coating material, the number and size of ports, the wavelength range of the light source, and the specific application requirements (e.g., measuring reflectance, transmittance, or light power). Additionally, consider the compatibility with your existing equipment and any customization needs.

Where can I find suppliers for integrating spheres?

Suppliers for integrating spheres can be found through various channels, including specialized optical and photonics equipment manufacturers, scientific instrument distributors, and online marketplaces. Some well-known suppliers include Labsphere, Thorlabs, and Newport Corporation. It is also helpful to consult industry trade shows, academic publications, and professional networks for recommendations.

How do I determine the appropriate size of an integrating sphere for my application?

The appropriate size of an integrating sphere depends on the size of the sample or light source you are measuring and the required measurement accuracy. Larger spheres typically provide better uniformity and can accommodate larger samples, but they may also be more expensive and require more space. Consider the specific dimensions of your samples and the spatial distribution of the light source to select a suitable sphere size.

What are the common materials used for the coating inside an integrating sphere, and how do they affect performance?

Common materials used for the coating inside an integrating sphere include barium sulfate (BaSO4), Spectralon, and PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). Barium sulfate is cost-effective and provides good diffuse reflectance over a wide wavelength range. Spectralon offers high reflectance and durability, making it suitable for high-precision applications. PTFE is also highly reflective and chemically resistant, making it a good choice for various applications. The choice of coating material affects the sphere's reflectance, durability, and suitability for specific wavelength ranges.