Helpful Hints for Starting a Difficult Question

• Thread starter hidemi
  • Start date
In summary: The magnetic moment of a dipole is given by $$m=\frac{1}{2}\left(\vec m^2-\vec m_0\right).$$Yes. The magnetic moment of a dipole is given by $$m=\frac{1}{2}\left(\vec m^2-\vec m_0\right).$$
hidemi
Homework Statement
If R is the distance from a magnetic dipole, then the magnetic field it produces is proportional to:
A. R^2
B. R
C. 1/R
D. 1/R^2
E. 1/R^3

Ans: E
Relevant Equations
B * ds = u * I
I have no idea how to start this question. Can anyone give me some hints, please? Thanks.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: If R is the distance from a magnetic dipole, then the magnetic field it produces is proportional to:
A. R^2
B. R
C. 1/R
D. 1/R^2
E. 1/R^3

Ans: E
Relevant Equations:: B * ds = u * I

I have no idea how to start this question. Can anyone give me some hints, please? Thanks.
I would assume it means the distance perpendicular to the dipole's axis.
Two options..
1. Consult your notes or search the net for the formula
2. Work it out from first principles. Draw a diagram. You have the short axis of the dipole, length h say, and some point P distance R off to the side, forming a long thin triangle. If a test pole is placed at P it will be attracted by one end of the dipole and repulsed by the other. How do these forces depend on R? What, approximately, will the net field be?

Likes hidemi and Delta2
By following your instruction, here's what I got as attached. Let me know if I did it wrong, thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 282
Likes Delta2
hidemi said:
By following your instruction, here's what I got as attached. Let me know if I did it wrong, thank you.
Well done.

Likes hidemi and Delta2
hidemi said:
You used the Biot-Savart law, but the problem doesn't give you an electric corrent. I think neither Ampere's law nor Biot-Savart law can work in this case as you don't have a current I in the problem statement

Last edited:
Anti Hydrogen said:
You used the Biot-Savart law, but the problem doesn't give you an electric corrent. I think neither Ampere's law nor Biot-Savart law can work in this case as you don't have an current I in the problem statement
The spatial dependence of the dipole field does not depend on whether the dipole is generated by a current ##I## or through other means. In fact the spatial dependence of an electric dipole is the same as that of a magnetic dipole.

• Wow
Likes Anti Hydrogen
haruspex said:
I would assume it means the distance perpendicular to the dipole's axis.
Does it matter? The magnetic dipolar field due to dipole ##\vec m## is $$\vec B=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\left[\frac{3(\vec m\cdot\hat r)\hat r-\vec m}{r^3}\right].$$

• Informative
Likes haruspex and Anti Hydrogen
kuruman said:
Does it matter? The magnetic dipolar field due to dipole ##\vec m## is $$\vec B=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\left[\frac{3(\vec m\cdot\hat r)\hat r-\vec m}{r^3}\right].$$
what does m represent? the magnetic moment?

Anti Hydrogen said:
what does m represent? the magnetic moment?
Yes.

• Informative
Likes Anti Hydrogen

Related to Helpful Hints for Starting a Difficult Question

1. What are some strategies for approaching a difficult scientific question?

Some helpful hints for starting a difficult question include breaking it down into smaller parts, brainstorming possible solutions, and seeking input from colleagues or experts in the field. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the question with a fresh perspective.

2. How can I stay motivated when facing a challenging research question?

It can be easy to feel discouraged when facing a difficult question, but staying motivated is crucial for finding a solution. One helpful hint is to remind yourself of the potential impact of finding an answer to the question. Additionally, setting small, achievable goals and celebrating progress can help maintain motivation.

3. How can I overcome feelings of frustration when struggling with a difficult question?

It's natural to feel frustrated when facing a difficult question, but it's important to find ways to manage this frustration. Some helpful hints include taking a step back and approaching the question from a different angle, seeking support from colleagues or mentors, and practicing self-care and stress-management techniques.

4. How can I effectively communicate my difficult question to others?

Communicating a difficult question to others can be challenging, but it's important for collaboration and finding solutions. One helpful hint is to clearly and concisely articulate the question, including any background information or context. It can also be helpful to provide visual aids or examples to aid in understanding.

5. What should I do if I feel stuck on a difficult question?

If you feel stuck on a difficult question, it's important to not get discouraged and instead try some helpful techniques. These can include taking a break and coming back to the question with a fresh perspective, seeking input from others, and trying different problem-solving strategies. It can also be helpful to revisit any relevant research or literature for inspiration.