Hiking, traveling in remote locations, especially in hot summer months

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I've read several stories this month about folks being rescued after being lost in remote areas, whether it is a hot desert or on a mountain.

Recently a gentlemen was found deceased in the Grand Canyon after spending the night camping. Passersby found him.

This story popped up in the last day - Hiker rescued from California mountains after possible spider bite left her unable to feel legs
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...bite-left-her-unable-to-feel-legs/ar-BB1oAiar

A woman was rescued last week after a possible spider bite left her unable to feel the skin on her legs during a hike in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains.

The hiker made a call for help around 6:30 p.m. on June 12 as she was on Taboose Pass Trail, the Inyo County Search and Rescue said on Facebook.

She was a little less than two miles shy of the trailhead when she went to get some water from a creek and “reportedly got bitten by what she thought was a spider.”

Afterwards, she was “unable to feel the skin on her legs and could not continue her hike down,” Inyo County Search and Rescue said in a statement.

Inyo Search and Rescue warned hikers to bring power banks for their phones when heading out, and reminded the public that the Taboose, Sawmill, Baxter, and Shepherd Pass Trails are “a lot less maintained" than the rest of the trails in the Sierra and hikers may encounter “very tricky sections” and “very steep grades.”

1. Make sure someone knows where one is (or should be) and when to expect one to return (and/or communicate).

2. Have a fully charged back up in water-tight container.

3. Make sure one has way to communicate by satellite if in an area without cellphone service.

4. Know the route(s), and ideally have a topographic map; have a compass, or know how to navigate by sun, moon and stars.

5. Have snacks, and more importantly, water; know where there are relatively clean water sources.

6. Wear appropriate clothing, and in summer (or hot sun) wear a broad brim hat. In cold environments (especially winter), have appropriate thermal insulation.

7. If in a cold area (far north, far south, or elevated altitude (e.g., mountain), have a thermal shield, or wind breaker, or something light that can serve as a tent or cover.

8. Know the wildlife.

9. Have a first aid kit, and appropriate tools (Swiss army knife, multi-purpose hunting knife, or possible a small axe or hatchet).

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, gleem, marcusl and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I have read similar about Greece. I read it since my sister is currently there. They reported 5 deaths, one of them a BBC journalist. Another one has been seen drinking several beers before he got lost on the trail. The Grand Canyon is certainly even more dangerous. One would think that people would know.

fresh_42 said:
One would think that people would know.
A lot of people don't; they apparently don't bother, or don't care.

I was once with my wife and children on a mule ride on the Bright Angel Trail on the Grand Canyon. On the ride back to the top, we encountered a young lady in shorts and a sleeveless shirt (tank top), and she had such bad sunburn that the skin on the tops of her legs (thighs) were purple. I told her to get to the infirmary as soon as she got back to the top.

Likes fresh_42
I used to hike a/o bicycle the mountain trails around the SF Bay Area nearly every weekend. Outfitted much as the OP describes, I carried an extra canteen or water bottles that I shared or gave to distressed hikers encountered on the trail. The extra water rarely went unclaimed.

Likes gleem, Astronuc, BillTre and 1 other person
Summer hiking in a hot climate is incredibly dangerous because something as simple/mundane as a twisted ankle can be fatal.

Getting injured is one thing, but even worse, many people who get in trouble or die are simply unprepared for that most basic need: water.

The Grand Canyon is extra dangerous because you do the easy part first and the hard part second. I did maybe 2 miles of Yosemite falls once, knowing I wouldn't make the top and I simply turned around when I started getting low on water. Easy. Doing that in the Grand Canyon could be fatal.

Likes gleem, Astronuc, Klystron and 1 other person
Astronuc said:
This story popped up in the last day - Hiker rescued from California mountains after possible spider bite left her unable to feel legs
More on this story -
https://news.yahoo.com/news/woman-legs-mysteriously-during-hike-193915494.html
PEOPLE contacted Inyo County Sheriff’s Office on June 20 for additional information. A representative from the sheriff’s office told the New York Post that, according to rescuers, the hiker was not bitten by a spider but was accidentally stung by stinging nettles on a part of the trail that is only meant for vehicles.

According to the University of California’s Integrated Pest Management website, stinging nettles are upright plants native to California and other Western states and have stinging hairs that can irritate and blister the skin.

“When human skin comes into contact with a leaf or stem, it often rapidly develops reddish patches accompanied by itching and burning,” according to the website. “Frequently, a prolonged tingling sensation may persist on the affected skin for more than 12 hours, even after visible symptoms have faded.”
The person affected must be allergic to the stinging nettles, or the compound in their hairs. Wow!
Sometimes, long sleeves and trousers can be helpful/useful.

Once can always removed trousers and wear shorts.

Related: 2 Mountain Climbers Suffering from Hypothermia Awaiting Rescue from Denali Mountain in Alaska

In Arizona I met an individual who told me he had had a job on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. One day he felt such need for marijuana he hiked to the south rim, copped, and returned.

Re being prepared for trips in the outdoors:
fresh_42 said:
One would think that people would know.
Not if one has observed the human species in the wild.
Astronuc said:
A lot of people don't; they apparently don't bother, or don't care.
When I was an undergrad several of us used to go to a certain tavern and I got to know the owner's son, who worked there. He told me about a raft trip that he and some friends did down a nearby river. Not long after they started down the river, they encountered a set of rapids, at which point some of their equipment was jostled out of the raft. A few miles later they heard a loud roar, the sound of water rushing over an 80 foot waterfall. They all bailed out, which resulted in the loss of all the rest of their gear. I didn't say anything at the time, but I was stunned by the lack of preparation, such as learning beforehand that their route included a significant waterfall.

There was another example maybe 15 or so years ago in which a young woman was a proponent of hiking nude in the Washington Cascade Range. Off she went, never to be seen again.

A lot of people have a completely unrealistic perspective of how things are in the woods, thinking it's all rainbows and unicorns.

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes jrmichler, russ_watters, BillTre and 1 other person
Mark44 said:
A lot of people have a completely unrealistic perspective of how things are in the woods, thinking it's all rainbows and unicorns.
I met one such couple recently with the opposite unrealistic view of things near the woods. There are over 200 square miles of public land bordering the road they were walking on. They were concerned that they should carry a gun to defend themselves from all of the imagined dangers.

I explained that, in almost 30 years of walking in these woods, I had never seen a wolf, and had only once had a glimpse of a black bear. Those animals all hide from people. And guns are not useful against mosquitos and wood ticks, which just love people.

Likes russ_watters
jrmichler said:
And guns are not useful against mosquitos
In parts of Minnesota, you need anti-aircraft artillery to take out some of those mosquitos.

A pistol? In the words of Mel Brooks,. "Don't shoot 'em; it only makes 'em mad."

Likes Tom.G
Ive hiked down and back in one day. One time I set a fire there

A young lad decided to walk back from a night club in Tenerife. Not been seen since the 17th June, they called the search off on the 29th June.

Not terrain you want to get lost in.

EDIT. His body was located.

1720700701789.png

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Astronuc
June/July 2024 - A third hiker has died in the Grand Canyon in less than a month
https://www.npr.org/2024/07/10/nx-s1-5034805/grand-canyon-hiker-deaths
A hiker died in the Grand Canyon on Sunday (7 July), marking the third death at the national park in the past month.

On Sunday, the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a call about an unresponsive person on the Bright Angel Trail at about 2 p.m. Witnesses and first responders administered CPR on the person, but they were unable to resuscitate him.

The 50-year-old man was identified as being from San Angelo, Texas, according to the National Park Service. After staying overnight at the Havasupai Gardens campground, he began hiking toward the canyon’s rim.

A similar incident happened on June 29, when Scott Sims, 69, from Austin, was found semi-conscious on the River Trail. And on June 16, a 41-year-old man was found unconscious on Bright Angel Trail. Neither were able to be resuscitated.

The National Park Service has warned that temperatures on the trails can reach 120 degrees – in the shade. The agency advised visitors to avoid hiking in the inner canyon from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970 and russ_watters
paradoxlost said:
Ive hiked down and back in one day. One time I set a fire there

Presumably you're talking about the Grand Canyon. It would be helpful to provide enough details to give context.
Why did you "set a fire"? That sounds at least foolish, if not extremely dangerous.

To be fair, I think in many cases with inexperienced hikers the sheer volume of background knowledge that is required to hike safely in various parts of the world could potentially be overwhelming. This may especially be the case for those are hiking in a particular location for the very first time (which I suspect would be the majority of the fatalities that are reported here).

It's also worth pointing out that getting reliable information on important safety tips (beyond the obvious tips, as outlined by @Astronuc in his opening thread here) is not easy, especially with the amount of misinformation that is available online.

Last edited:
StatGuy2000 said:
To be fair, I think in many cases with inexperienced hikers the sheer volume of background knowledge that is required to hike safely in various parts of the world could potentially be overwhelming. This may especially be the case for those are hiking in a particular location for the very first time (which I suspect would be the majority of the fatalities that are reported here).
I agree, though I wouldn't say it's a large volume, but it is a lack of knlowledge....or maybe appreciation is the word. It's hard to get how hot the American West is unless you've experienced it. It's hard to gauge how much you are sweating (how dehydrated you are getting) in a dry heat. It's hard to grasp how vast and remote the Western national parks are. For people who are always connected, It's hard to imagine the total isolation when you are miles from shelter, with no cell service.

It's easy to get in serious trouble if you don't appreciate the risks.

Likes StatGuy2000, pinball1970 and BillTre
russ_watters said:
It's easy to get in serious trouble if you don't appreciate the risks.
Yes.

We don't have too many places in England where you can get into real trouble.
Scotland and Wales yes.
I would never venture into those sorts of territory without an experienced guide.
Yorkshire three peaks is a good example. Beautiful countryside and first year I did it the rain and freezing wind nearly blew me of the peak. I actually thought there was a chance we could die up here if we don't get down ASAP.
Following year the heat was worse than the cold and rain.
Same week, month and route.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
It's hard to get how hot the American West is unless you've experienced it. It's hard to gauge how much you are sweating (how dehydrated you are getting) in a dry heat.
Back when I was in my 20's, I regularly rode my bicycle back from the airport in temperatures up to 113 deg F. It was only 13 miles and about 1000 feet elevation gain. I would drink a full water bottle by the halfway point, then be too dry to spit by the time I got back. The sweat evaporated so fast that I had no wet spots.

Years later, I read about ultramarathoning. Those people really study dehydration, hydration, and electrolytes. They need to because a runner can lose as much as 50 lbs of sweat in one race. Lots of good info from those who actually know at: https://ultrunr.com/. I decided to limit myself to marathons in moderate weather.

Likes pinball1970, russ_watters, BillTre and 1 other person
Wear proper shoes and clothing.

Death Valley heat melts skin off a man's feet after he lost his flip-flops in the dunes​

https://news.yahoo.com/news/death-valley-heat-melts-skin-193806143.html

Rather sensational headline, but he probably burned/heated his skin to the point where is blistered and broke away. I'm guessing the 123°F (50.6°C) was the air temperature, and the ground was probably more like 140 to 150°F (60 to 65.6°C)

https://news.yahoo.com/death-valley-visitor-hospitalized-suffering-193427137.html
Third degree burns on his feet.

https://news.yahoo.com/barefoot-man-suffers-severe-burns-180225230.html

In another story, a motorcyclist died from the heat during a ride through Death Valley.
https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/motorcycle-fatality-july-2024.htm
DEATH VALLEY, Calif. – A park visitor died in Death Valley National Park on July 6, from heat exposure near Badwater Basin. Another visitor was treated for severe heat illness and transported to advanced medical care in Las Vegas, four others were treated onsite and released. All 6 motorcyclists were members of the same party. Due to the high temperatures, emergency medical flight helicopters were unable to respond, as they cannot generally fly safely over 120 degrees.

Preliminary data recorded 128ºF (53.3ºC) as the high temperature on July 6. This surpassed the official daily record for Death Valley, 127F (52.8ºC) recorded in 2007.

Once heat index of 99ºF (37.2ºC) is exceeded, ambient air no longer helps provide relief. Heat illness and injury are cumulative and can build over the course of a day or days. Besides not being able to cool down while riding due to high ambient air temperatures, experiencing Death Valley by motorcycle when it is this hot is further challenged by the necessary heavy safety gear worn to reduce injuries during an accident.

https://news.yahoo.com/news/hiker-dies-utah-state-park-124513228.html
A hiker died at a Utah state park over the weekend after high temperatures and running out of water, according to local authorities.

The Hurricane City Police Department said in a release that officers responded to a report Sunday of a female hiker in distress near Quail Creek State Park on Sunday. Temperatures were around 106 degrees that day and the hiker did not have enough water, police said.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970