Homopolar Generator Setup & Effect of Magnetized Conductivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic set up of a homopolar generator and the possibility of using a conducting magnet as both a conductor and magnet. The issue of conductivity in permanent magnets is also raised. It is suggested to use a variable voltage source, ammeter and voltmeter to test the conductive properties of a magnet.
atproofer
The basic set up for a homopolar generator has a stationary magnet and a rotating conducting plate with contacts at the center and rim of the plate.
I would think that even if magnet were spinning along the same axis, the magnetic field would not materially change and so the resulting current would be the same.

What if, instead of a separate plate, the magnet were spinning and had contacts attached in a similar way? Would there still be a current induced?

To clarify, the poles of the magnet are aligned with the axis of rotation. I don't really have an understanding of how conductivity would change when an object is magnetized. This may be the real issue.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You want to spin the magnet, keeping the metal stationary.
You can figure out what would happen by the Lorentz Force Law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_generator#Physics

Note: magnetics is generally frame-dependent, so I'd expect something different to happen.

Thanks for the response. I think I understand the physical concepts but I'm still curious about how conductivity works in permanent magnets, and if a conducting magnet is useful as either a conductor or magnet.

Well, to find out how permanent magnets work as conductors, get an iron nail, put it into a circuit with a variable voltage source, ammeter and voltmeter, collect and plot V vs I ... repeat for the same nail magnetized to different amounts.

I used to have a model steam-engine with magnetic wheels - both magnetic and conductive properties were useful.

I can provide a response to your questions about the homopolar generator setup and the effect of magnetized conductivity. Firstly, the basic setup of a homopolar generator involves a stationary magnet and a rotating conducting plate with contacts at the center and rim of the plate. This setup allows for the generation of electricity through the principle of electromagnetic induction.

In this setup, the magnetic field produced by the stationary magnet remains constant and does not change significantly as the conducting plate rotates. This is because the magnetic field is a result of the permanent magnet and is not affected by the rotation of the conducting plate. Therefore, the resulting current generated by the homopolar generator will remain the same, regardless of the speed or direction of the rotation.

In regards to your second question, if the magnet were spinning and had contacts attached to it, there could still be a current induced. This is because the motion of the magnet would still result in a changing magnetic field, which would induce a current in the attached contacts. However, the amount of current generated may be lower compared to the traditional setup with a stationary magnet and rotating conducting plate. This is because the magnet would not have a large surface area for the contacts to make contact with, resulting in a smaller amount of induced current.

Regarding your question about the effect of magnetized conductivity, it is important to note that conductivity is a measure of how easily an electric current can flow through a material. When an object is magnetized, it means that its atoms are aligned in a specific way, creating a magnetic field. This alignment of atoms can also affect the flow of electrons, which can in turn affect the conductivity of the material. In the case of the homopolar generator, the conducting plate would experience a change in its conductivity as it rotates and comes into contact with the stationary magnet's magnetic field.

I hope this response has helped to clarify your questions about the homopolar generator setup and the effect of magnetized conductivity. As a scientist, it is important to understand the principles and mechanisms behind such setups in order to further our understanding and advancements in the field of electricity and magnetism.

Related to Homopolar Generator Setup & Effect of Magnetized Conductivity

What is a homopolar generator?

A homopolar generator is a type of electrical generator that produces a direct current (DC) by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a rotating conductive disk and a stationary magnet that creates a magnetic field.

How does a homopolar generator work?

A homopolar generator works by using the Lorentz force principle, which states that a charged particle moving in a magnetic field experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. As the conductive disk rotates, the magnetic field of the stationary magnet causes electrons to move in a circular motion and creates a current in the conductive disk.

What is the effect of magnetized conductivity in a homopolar generator?

The effect of magnetized conductivity in a homopolar generator is to increase the production of electrical energy. When the conductive disk is magnetized, the electrons in the disk align in a specific direction, which allows for a more efficient conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What are some applications of homopolar generators?

Homopolar generators are commonly used in high-power applications such as electric motors, particle accelerators, and railguns. They are also used in some electric vehicles and in experimental energy storage systems.

What are the advantages of using a homopolar generator?

Homopolar generators have a simple design, are easy to maintain, and have a high power-to-weight ratio. They also produce a constant and stable direct current, making them useful in applications that require a steady power supply.