How can I analyze the effects of this orifice in a pressure regulator?

In summary, the author is looking for ways to better understand a certain feature of a new product range and is unsure of what equations to use to do so. He has been told that the feature was designed through product testing and is now looking for more information.
MrBear
Hi folks,

Firstly a little background, I work for a company that manufactures gas pressure regulators. Last year I was a machinist studying for my HNC in manufacturing engineering. Since passing work has given me the opportunity to work in the product engineering office as a product tester and work load within the office has increased lately due to expansion, I have been tasked with analysing a certain feature of the new product range.

I need to model the effects of the below orifice (in red), but I have no idea what I'm doing!

Are there any basic math techniques I can use to get a better understanding of what is happening at this feature?

RSHN8-02-11-VVK-GN5 - Closer2.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the inlet on the left (supply side) and the regulated side on the right? If so, it looks like this orifice puts regulated pressure under the diaphragm.

Thanks for the reply Insightful, yes the inlet is to the right of the image. The orifice does indeed connect the regulated pressure to the upper chamber, what it also does is create a vacuum.

All my research is telling me that this is a Venturi, I'm not sure this is the case. Is there any way to prove/disprove this? What equations would I need?

Many thanks

Don't you have the engineers who designed it nearby?

I'm afraid not, they're all in Holland. The company I work for purchased the product range, little information regarding the design came with it.

I have been told that this feature was designed through product testing ie. flow rigs.

That's magic, thank you so much. Funnily enough I was looking at it with a pitot in mind. I always thought that the process media has to enter directly into the tube rather than flow over it, hence my dismissal of the theory.

Related to How can I analyze the effects of this orifice in a pressure regulator?

What is a pressure regulator?

A pressure regulator is a device that is used to control and maintain a constant pressure in a system. It works by reducing the pressure of a high-pressure fluid to a lower, more manageable pressure.

How does a pressure regulator work?

A pressure regulator works by using a spring-loaded diaphragm or piston to sense the pressure in the system. When the pressure exceeds a set limit, the regulator will open up and allow excess fluid to escape, thereby reducing the pressure back to the desired level.

What are the different types of pressure regulators?

There are two main types of pressure regulators: single-stage and dual-stage. Single-stage regulators are used for applications where a constant pressure is required, while dual-stage regulators are used for applications where a constant pressure is needed even as the supply pressure decreases.

What is the purpose of a pressure regulator?

The main purpose of a pressure regulator is to ensure the safe and efficient operation of a system by maintaining a constant pressure. This is important because high or fluctuating pressures can cause damage to equipment and affect the quality of the end product.

How do I choose the right pressure regulator for my application?

When choosing a pressure regulator, it is important to consider the required pressure range, flow rate, and compatibility with the fluid being used. It is also important to select a regulator that is suitable for the specific application and environment in which it will be used.