How can I calculate the speed of two hockey players after a collision?

• Thread starter BraedenP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, two hockey players with a combined mass of 72.0kg and initial speeds of 5.75 m/s collide at an angle of 125o and stick together. Using the equation P=mv, the combined momentum after the collision is 734kg·m/s. Dividing this by the combined mass of 144kg, the final speed after the collision is approximately 5.10 m/s.
BraedenP

Homework Statement

Two 72.0kg hockey players skating at 5.75 m/s collide and stick together. If the angle between their initial directions was 125o, what is their speed after the collision?

Homework Equations

P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a vector diagram with their initial directions 125o apart. I set one vector to straight forward to make calculations easier.

I worked out that one momentum vector would be 414 [tex]kg\cdot m/s[/tex] forward, and the other vector would have magnitudes of roughly 339
and 651 [forward].

Adding the components, I arrived at a new combined momentum of 734[tex]kg\cdot m/s[/tex]. Since this equals the momentum of BOTH players, I divided that by [tex](72\cdot 2)[/tex] to get the final speed. This was wrong.

I also tried using kinetic energy, but that answer was wrong as well.

How would I go about solving such a question?

Thanks!​

Physics news on Phys.org
That 651 can't be right. Has to be less than 414. And it has to be negative.

I can't believe it.. I used numbers from the wrong part of the question in my solution. Those aren't the right numbers at all.

Believe it or not, using the right numbers solved the question! Thanks. :P

Related to How can I calculate the speed of two hockey players after a collision?

What is two-dimensional momentum?

Two-dimensional momentum is a measure of an object's motion in two dimensions. It takes into account both the object's mass and velocity in the x and y directions.

How is two-dimensional momentum calculated?

Two-dimensional momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity in the x and y directions separately, and then adding these values together.

Why is two-dimensional momentum important?

Two-dimensional momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in two-dimensional spaces, such as in projectile motion or collisions.

Is momentum conserved in two-dimensional systems?

Yes, momentum is conserved in two-dimensional systems as long as there are no external forces acting on the objects.

How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to two-dimensional systems?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by external forces. In two-dimensional systems, this means that the sum of the momenta in the x and y directions will remain constant unless acted upon by external forces.