How Can I Convert a -0.1V to 1V Output Into a 0V to 4V Range for an ADC Input?

In summary: The 1.6v ref is just a reference voltage for the op amp. The input voltage is still being sent to the op amp. Thanks for trying to help me!
Zigie

Homework Statement

I am given a thermal sensor that measures temperature at 10mv/degree C. We are to measure a range of -10 to 100 degrees C. Design a circuit that will connect the thermal sensor to a micro controller with an A/D Converter the must take an input from 0 to 4v.

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM35.html#Overview (thermal sensor datasheet)

So I guess my question is how would I design a circuit that would take a output range of -.1v to +1v into 0v to 4v?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My electronics experience is limited, I am just taking an electronics course but this is for a general engineering class so I am stumbling a bit on how to implement this. I imagine I will have to use transistors and/or diodes to accomplish this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zigie said:

Homework Statement

I am given a thermal sensor that measures temperature at 10mv/degree C. We are to measure a range of -10 to 100 degrees C. Design a circuit that will connect the thermal sensor to a micro controller with an A/D Converter the must take an input from 0 to 4v.

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM35.html#Overview (thermal sensor datasheet)

So I guess my question is how would I design a circuit that would take a output range of -.1v to +1v into 0v to 4v?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My electronics experience is limited, I am just taking an electronics course but this is for a general engineering class so I am stumbling a bit on how to implement this. I imagine I will have to use transistors and/or diodes to accomplish this.

Welcome to the PF.

Have you started to study opamps yet? That's typically how you would accomplish this.

You basically need to have some control over the gain and offset of your interface circuit. Try searching a bit with key words like: opamp circuit gain offset tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Have you started to study opamps yet? That's typically how you would accomplish this.

You basically need to have some control over the gain and offset of your interface circuit. Try searching a bit with key words like: opamp circuit gain offset tutorial.

Actually, those search terms don't work all that well (I just tried them). Opamps have their own gain and offset issues, so that is what most of the hits are for.

Instead, look at opamp circuits that let you change a signal's offset, and then look at typical non-inverting opamp gain circuits.

Thanks for the reply guys!

Instead, look at opamp circuits that let you change a signal's offset, and then look at typical non-inverting opamp gain circuits.

So basically I would take the DC output and shift it up a certain offset and then use another op amp to amplify it up?

If this is true should I just be offsetting so the minimum possible output is shifted to 0v and then boost the maximum possible output after the shift to 4v?

While searching around the internet for these I stumbled across Clamping using diodes. I think this would work great for what I need but I think these circuits can only be applied to AC signals because of the capacitor. Is there something like this type of circuit for DC signals?

Zigie said:
I found this circuit
http://www.daycounter.com/Circuits/OpAmp-Level-Shifter/OpAmp-Level-Shifter.phtml

I think this does exactly what I am looking for, but I guess I'm unsure of how to change it to my needs. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could use this to do accomplish my goal?

Yes, good. That is the type of circuit that you can use. Have you learned about opamps yet? Will you be learning them in the class you are in now? If so, read the intro sections of the book about opamps, and that should give you the tools to modify the resistor and voltage values in the example circuit that you found.

I have learned about op amps but only breifly, we haven't went into depth about them yet in my course.

I think what's happening in this circuit is they are using a voltage divider first, and then using a non inverting amplifier to boost the voltage. I am not really sure what the R? and C? are doing.

Perhaps you could help me by explaining what exactly is happening in this circuit so I could better understand how I could tailor it to meet my needs
I guess I am a little confused on what the 1.6v ref is on the circuit diagram and why they choose 3.3v as for the opamp. Also since they are decreasing their voltage range from -5 to +5 to 0 to 3.3 volts does this change how I would use this circuit. In my example I need to increase from -.1 to 1v into 0 to 4v.

Related to How Can I Convert a -0.1V to 1V Output Into a 0V to 4V Range for an ADC Input?

1. What is a Voltage Range Amplifier?

A Voltage Range Amplifier is a device that increases the voltage range of an electrical signal. It takes a low voltage input signal and amplifies it to a higher voltage output signal. This is useful in many applications such as audio amplifiers, sensor circuits, and power supplies.

2. How does a Voltage Range Amplifier work?

A Voltage Range Amplifier works by using transistors or operational amplifiers to increase the voltage of the input signal. These components have the ability to amplify the signal without significantly changing its shape or frequency. The amplified signal is then output through a suitable circuit that can handle the increased voltage.

3. What is the difference between a Voltage Range Amplifier and a regular amplifier?

A regular amplifier only increases the amplitude of a signal, while a Voltage Range Amplifier also increases the voltage range. This means that a regular amplifier can only amplify a signal within a certain range, while a Voltage Range Amplifier can amplify a signal that is outside of that range. Additionally, a Voltage Range Amplifier typically has a higher gain and can handle larger input and output voltages.

4. What are the applications of a Voltage Range Amplifier?

A Voltage Range Amplifier has many applications in various industries. It is commonly used in audio systems, medical equipment, industrial control systems, and communication devices. It is also used in scientific experiments and research to amplify signals from sensors and other measurement devices.

5. How do I choose the right Voltage Range Amplifier for my project?

Choosing the right Voltage Range Amplifier depends on the specific requirements of your project. Factors to consider include the input and output voltage range, the gain of the amplifier, and the frequency range. It is important to also consider the power supply requirements and any additional features, such as filtering or protection circuits, that may be necessary for your project.