How can I design a circuit for an LED clock as a novice?

In summary, the conversation is about building an LED clock. The speaker is looking for guidance on how to design the circuit and how to get a sequence of LED's to light up one at a time. They mention their lack of experience in designing circuits and seek advice on where to start. They are recommended to read up on digital electronics and given suggestions for hobby clock circuits to look into.
zanazzi78
I want to try and build an LED clock.

The idea is to have a sequence of LED`s that light up one at a time at a regular time period over a pre-definied time. Once the all the LED's are on then they start to go off one at a time.

I thought I'd just try and get 5 LED's to light up one at at time first.

My problem is i have never designed any form of circuit.

I know how LED's , capasitors, resistors and inductors etc. work, but to try and integrate these components into something useful is beyond my current understanding so I'm asking for a little guidence.

HOw do you get a sequence of LED`s to light up one at a time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
To understand what you would like to design, I recommend reading up on digital electronics (especially timing circuits) One approach can utilize the following: stable http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Quartz_clock ) that will select which LED to light up or shut off.

If this looks more than you are ready to tackle just now, you could look at some hobby clock circuits. Here is an http://sandpointjunction.no-ip.com/trains/klok_uk.html of a clock based in a 555 timer IC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out http://www.hobbyprojects.com/C/Counters_and_Timer_Circuits.html" .
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How can I design a circuit for an LED clock as a novice?

1. What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow from one point to another. It is made up of various electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, connected together by conductive materials. When a voltage source is connected to a circuit, it creates a potential difference that causes electrons to flow through the conductive materials, producing an electric current. The components in a circuit work together to control the flow of electricity and perform a specific function.

2. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source, such as a battery or power supply, conductive materials, such as wires or traces on a circuit board, and electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. These components work together to create a complete circuit and allow electricity to flow through it.

3. How do I choose the right components for my circuit design?

Choosing the right components for your circuit design requires an understanding of the function you want your circuit to perform. Each component has a specific purpose, and you will need to select components that are compatible with your power source and other components in the circuit. It is also important to consider factors such as size, cost, and availability when choosing components for your circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing a circuit include using incorrect component values, not considering the power requirements of the components, and not following proper wiring and soldering techniques. It is also important to carefully plan and test your circuit before assembling it to avoid any potential issues or errors.

5. How can I improve my circuit design skills as a novice?

Improving your circuit design skills as a novice requires practice and patience. Start by learning the basic principles of circuit design and familiarizing yourself with common electronic components. You can also learn from online resources, books, and tutorials, and try building simple circuits to gain hands-on experience. As you gain more knowledge and experience, you can challenge yourself with more complex designs and continue to refine your skills.