How Can I Determine if Two Lie Algebras are Isomorphic?

• MHB
  • Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lie algebras
In summary, there are two known 3D Lie algebras: A_1 with specific brackets and another one with different brackets. The question is whether these two are representations of the same thing, up to an isomorphism. The proposed method of showing this is by finding a similarity between the adjoint representation generators, but this method does not seem to work. The question remains, how can one show if two Lie algebras are the same, and if there is a way to decompose a Lie algebra similar to finding irreducible representations of a group.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I now know of two 3D Lie algebras:

\(\displaystyle A_1\) with brackets \(\displaystyle \left [ T^0, ~T^{\pm} \right ] = \pm 2 T^{\pm} \), \(\displaystyle \left [ T^+, ~ T^- \right ] = T^0\)

and one with brackets:

\(\displaystyle \left [ T^0, ~T^{\pm} \right ] = T^{\mp}\) and \(\displaystyle \left [ T^+,~ T^- \right ] = T^0\)

How can I tell if these two are representations of the same thing? (Up to an isomorphism, anyway.) My thought is to show that the adjoint representation generators are similar. Using matrices that is to say a matrix S exists such that \(\displaystyle T_a' = ST^aS^{-1}\). Is this an acceptable way to show the existence of an isomorphism?

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the algebra I found is isomorphic to A1. A1 has a 2 x 2 matrix representation but the other does not.

The similarity method seems to be out, so I was barking up the wrong tree. But even though I answered my own question here my problem still remains in general: How do I show if two Lie Algebras are the same? Is there a way to decompose a Lie algebra in a similar way to finding irreducible representations of a group?

-Dan

FAQ: How Can I Determine if Two Lie Algebras are Isomorphic?

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one and onto mapping between two mathematical structures. In other words, an isomorphism establishes a correspondence between two structures while preserving their algebraic operations and structure.

2. What are Lie algebras?

Lie algebras are mathematical objects that study the algebraic properties of continuous transformations on a given space. They are vector spaces equipped with a bilinear operation called the "Lie bracket" that measures the failure of two transformations to commute.

3. How are isomorphisms and Lie algebras related?

Isomorphisms play a crucial role in the study of Lie algebras. In fact, isomorphic Lie algebras have the same algebraic properties and can be viewed as different representations of the same underlying structure. This allows us to transfer knowledge and techniques between isomorphic Lie algebras.

4. What are some examples of isomorphisms and Lie algebras?

One example of an isomorphism is the mapping between the real numbers and the complex numbers, where the algebraic operations of addition and multiplication are preserved. An example of a Lie algebra is the set of all square matrices with the Lie bracket defined as the commutator of two matrices.

5. How are isomorphisms and Lie algebras used in science?

Isomorphisms and Lie algebras have various applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics and mathematics. For example, they are used in the study of symmetries in physical systems, such as in quantum mechanics and relativity. In mathematics, Lie algebras are used to study the properties of Lie groups, which have applications in areas such as differential geometry and topology.