How Can I Develop a Career in Astrophysics as a Physics Major?

mariahlorean
How did you find PF?
searched up how piercings are viewed in the physics field bc i have a few of them / im into body mods
I’m a physics major (going to be a junior in the august) that would like to go into astrophysics!! I picked physics for a major bc i like knowing how things in our world work + i’m especially interested in space. I lowkey am just seeing where the wind blows me so I really don’t even have a fully written out plan for what i want or need to do to develop a career in astrophysics (if anyone could give me a pointer or two i’d really appreciate it !!)

Physics news on Phys.org
How is your Mathematics knowledge? Have you some computer technology skills? What is your current scholastic status?

Find information in both a few college catalogs and university catalogs, to see what courses are contained in major field of Physics, and to be informed on "official" prerequisite courses.

You may have questions based on what you there find.

Likes mariahlorean
Welcome to PF.

Likes mariahlorean
symbolipoint said:
How is your Mathematics knowledge? Have you some computer technology skills? What is your current scholastic status?

Find information in both a few college catalogs and university catalogs, to see what courses are contained in major field of Physics, and to be informed on "official" prerequisite courses.

You may have questions based on what you there find.
I’d like to say I’m good at math, though calculus did give a run for my money i still thought it was fun to do;

I know some java coding (if this is what you’re asking) but i wouldn’t say i was extremely good at it;

My GPA definitely needs a lot of work (i have a less than desirable work ethic + outside life factors),
I know that I’ve set myself back by a lot by not being an 100% A+ student

I recommend you not work with strong magnetic fields.

mariahlorean said:
How did you find PF?: searched up how piercings are viewed in the physics field bc i have a few of them / im into body mods

I’m a physics major (going to be a junior in the august) that would like to go into astrophysics!! I picked physics for a major bc i like knowing how things in our world work + i’m especially interested in space. I lowkey am just seeing where the wind blows me so I really don’t even have a fully written out plan for what i want or need to do to develop a career in astrophysics (if anyone could give me a pointer or two i’d really appreciate it !!)

mariahlorean said:
I’d like to say I’m good at math, though calculus did give a run for my money i still thought it was fun to do;

I know some java coding (if this is what you’re asking) but i wouldn’t say i was extremely good at it;

My GPA definitely needs a lot of work (i have a less than desirable work ethic + outside life factors),
I know that I’ve set myself back by a lot by not being an 100% A+ student
You need to spend regular serious study time; and you can use local advice about career possibilities. You in fact may need that advice.

Consider reviewing any Mathematics you have studied to learn it better. That goes along with progressing through more such courses that you will need for Physics.

Being able to write computer programs is better than not being able to. Reviewing your programming skill and knowledge is a good thing to do. I also did 'poorly' at beginning programming (BASIC...). I improved somewhat when I did my own review several months later. And then some more many years later. Programming skill and also Mathematics skill & knowledge deteriorate unless you keep in practice.

Likes DeBangis21 and mariahlorean