How can I find t in a Bezier Curve when I know the Y coordinate?

• Thread starter Gabor888
  • Start date
In summary, The user is seeking to find the value of t for a given y coordinate on a bezier curve with n degree and control points. The provided algorithm can find the point if t is known, but the user wants to know if it is possible to find t for a known y value. The solution is to find the roots of the polynomial Y(t) - Ygiven = 0, using an iterative method like Newton's or factoring the polynomial.
Gabor888
Hello

I have a little problem with bezier curve. There is a bezier curve, with n degree, with some control points. And the problem is, that i want to know the t, and i know the y of that point. So there's a curve, in this curve there is a point, i know that place, and i want to know, what is t in this bezier.

With this algorithm(which i attached) i know the point, if i know the t
8ce08ca45bf146d5ec689f731367b326.png

but reverse?

i know, that the t can be more numbers. I want just one of them...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Y(t) coordinate of the 2-dimensional B(t) equation you posted is a polynomial of degree n; what you want are the solutions of the equation Y(t) - Ygiven = 0, that is, the roots of the polynomial Y(t) - Ygiven, where Ygiven is your known Y value. The expression for Y(t) is, of course, the same as in the image you posted, substituting each point P with the Y value of that point. Among the multiple values for t, you want the one(s) that are in the interval [0,1].

If n is small (like 2) there are known methods. Otherwise, a possibility is to use an iterative method like Newton's, since the derivative of the polynomial should be easy to write down. See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_method" . Or maybe the polynomial turns out to be easy to factor, in which case the roots can be taken immediately from the factored expression.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How can I find t in a Bezier Curve when I know the Y coordinate?

What is t in Bezier Curve?

T in Bezier Curve refers to the parameter or variable used to calculate the position of a point on the curve. It is a value between 0 and 1 that determines the percentage of the distance between the control points that the point lies.

How is t used in Bezier Curve?

T is used in the mathematical formula for calculating Bezier Curves. It is used to determine the position of a point on the curve based on the position of the control points.

What is the significance of t in Bezier Curve?

T plays a crucial role in defining the shape of a Bezier Curve. By changing the value of t, we can alter the position of the point on the curve and, therefore, change the curve's shape. It also allows for smooth and continuous curves to be created.

Can t in Bezier Curve be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, t in Bezier Curve cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. It is always a value between 0 and 1, and any other value would result in a point outside of the curve.

How is t related to the control points in Bezier Curve?

T is used to determine the position of a point on the curve relative to the control points. As t increases from 0 to 1, the point moves along the line connecting the control points, resulting in a smooth curve.