How can I solve for the forces at play in a block pushed against a wall?

In summary, a 3.00 kg block is being pushed against a wall at an angle of 50.0° with a force P, while the coefficient of static friction is 0.250. The possible values for P that keep the block stationary are to be determined in part (a), with the outcomes of larger and smaller values of P described in part (b). In part (c), the same is to be repeated with an angle of 13.0°. The problem involves finding the vertical and horizontal forces using the given information.
littlemonster

Homework Statement

A block of mass 3.00 kg is pushed up against a wall by a force P that makes and angle θ=50.0° with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the wall is 0.250. (a) Determine the possible values for the magnitude of P that allows the block to remain stationary. (b) Describe what happens if P has a larger value and what happens if it is smaller. (c) Repeat parts a and b, assuming the force makes an angle of θ=13.0° with the horizontal.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=Fx+Fy

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting to draw a diagram of the problem but I'm having trouble seeing what forces I need to solve for

Physics news on Phys.org
. I understand that theres a vertical force and horizontal force but I'm confused as to how to solve for them both using the given information. Any help will be appreciated.

FAQ: How can I solve for the forces at play in a block pushed against a wall?

What are forces of friction?

Forces of friction are a type of force that opposes the motion of an object. They are caused by the interactions between the surfaces of two objects that are in contact with each other.

What factors affect the strength of friction?

The strength of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the amount of force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

How does friction impact motion?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object. It also causes objects to heat up due to the energy lost during the interaction between surfaces.

Can friction work to our advantage?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in many ways. It allows us to walk without slipping, helps cars brake, and enables us to write with a pencil on paper.

How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smooth surface between objects. Another way is by using wheels or ball bearings to reduce the surface area in contact between two objects.

Back