How Can I Survive My Physics Class with a Difficult Professor?

• Thread starter oldunion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, this student is worried about failing his physics class and wants to find a way to not do so.
oldunion
i had a 3.52 gpa coming into the second semester of freshman year at uncc. i have now, astronomy, calc2, engineering, and physics.

Little history on my physics teacher: he mumbles, what he teaches in 50 minutes of class 3x a week is not at all what is on the tests, and last semester 75% failed. This semester he has given the prognosis of 45%.

I expect to get an A or possibly b if i mess up badly in each class, except of course for physics. i have had 3 tests, and failed them all. we also have in class quizzes every day (did ok on these-i think), and weekly quizzes (not too good here), and a mastering physics homework grade of a B. The final can count for as much as 30 percent of the grade, or itself and a replacement for one other test.

He has given us no review, and when asked by a student what good study material would consist of, he reportedly said, "read the chapters."

Im looking for some way to not fail badly, i had high hopes before i met this man. someone give me a strategy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow.

Uh. Find someone's whose taken that class before and ask them for their past exams. Or at least get a general idea of what's on the test. If you want to be sneaky go to the math/physics office and see if you can request a tutor that's aced that class. $10 might get you the vital info you need. Good luck.

Just reading the chapters may not help too much, but doing a lot of textbook exercises will. That will force you to think about the material from a problem-solving point of view, and help you focus on the topics that you really need to re-read.

And I guess the weekly quizzes should give you a pretty good idea of the kind of questions, and the topics, that he likes.

I know what you mean I'm having my A/L s next month and am trying to rush through the process of making sums and studying the notes!

if i retake the class, which i think is going to happen, i am assuming that the old physics grade will still count, and my new physics grade will also count.

There is no cancellation or replacement of the grades, correct?

Check with your school about that. At my school they let you retake a class and the new grade replaces the former one. However, I think the old grade somehow shows up on your transcript. It might mention this is your second chance at the class or something.

ktpr2 said:
Check with your school about that. At my school they let you retake a class and the new grade replaces the former one. However, I think the old grade somehow shows up on your transcript. It might mention this is your second chance at the class or something.

Sounds right to me. If you retake a class, they'll use the higher score for determining GPA, but the original class will also still be on the transcript. I think it is also true in most places that you can only repeat a class once, and often, if not always, only if your score was below a B.

The Reverend BigBoa said:
Sounds right to me. If you retake a class, they'll use the higher score for determining GPA, but the original class will also still be on the transcript. I think it is also true in most places that you can only repeat a class once, and often, if not always, only if your score was below a B.

Really? i was almost certain, from my unfounded beliefs, that both grades would affect my gpa. Ill check on this immediately.

FAQ: How Can I Survive My Physics Class with a Difficult Professor?

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

Why is physics considered difficult?

Physics can be challenging because it involves complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts that require a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills.

What are some real-life applications of physics?

Physics has many practical applications, such as developing new technologies, understanding the behavior of matter and energy in our everyday lives, and making advancements in fields like medicine and engineering.

What are the different branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics which includes quantum mechanics and relativity.

How can one improve their understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials, and actively engage in hands-on experiments and demonstrations.